Inflamed Salivary Glands?

Posted , 9 users are following.

hello,

i have hade erosive OLP for 2yrs.

i now have been diagnosed with Hashimotos ( Autoimmune hypothyroidism ) and Sjgorgens Syndrome.

On top of the mouth sores, i get very dry mouth (Sjogrens) but recently my Salivary glands ( bumps on bottom/sides of mouth)...where hard pallate and gums meet . Has anyone had this issue before?

trying to figure out if it’s anything to be concerned about

thamks

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes! I recently noticed small blister like bumps around that area, where the jaw kind of hinges and right below the area where my wisdom teeth used to be on the bottom. I'd just get one at a time, they would either pop or go away within hours. I just had a periodontist appointment and asked him about it. He said it could be blocked/plugged salivary glands or just a part of my OLP condition. I guess that really isn't an answer, but he didn't indicate that it was anything to be worried about so I'd just chalk it up to a "bonus" (sarcasm) of everything else we get to deal with. 

• Posted

I got some in those areas also.  I had two teeth pulled a wisdom tooth and one in front of it because OLP ate into my gum and fin to the bone.  Now the area has LP all over the gum.  
    • Posted

thank you- that would make sense as I have Sjogrens Syndrome too (For myself, the OLP precipitated Hashimotos and Sjgorgens)
  • Posted

Yes my mouth is bone dry my tongue sticks to roof of mouth when I wake up in mornings it hurts to peel it apart !! My saliva is non existent so I have artificial spray and gel to help. The saliva test I had recently at London dental hospital showed a count of 10,000 for thrush too !! Very high. So my poor olp is not coping well on top of this !! My thyroid tests always come back ok although I'm permanently freezing and sleeping and skinny and my white bloods are under the lowest score of 4.00 mine are 2.2 what is going on I don't know xx

• Posted

Hi Mary, Geez now thrush also! So sorry! Did doc give you oral nystatin to swish and swallow?  It usually helps. If you have thrush you probably have yeast throughout your body and you may feel a lot better if you can get rid of it! I just finished watching a Candida summit which was very good! I wish I could tell you more but brain fog🙃 Hang in there the functional medicine doctors are making a lot of progress in autoimmune diseases! Prayers & hugs to you!

• Posted

My problems all began with thrush ( but it went away),the OLP started at the same time (but refuses to leave ). the’permanently freezing’ I can relate to... I went through two winters where I was scared to leave the house for fear of freezing to death.

i was JUST diagnosed with Hashimotos though

My WBCs are often low as well as my platelets 

I’m constantly at the dentist too. Crumbling teeth!

It’s all very strange and messed up ....

• Posted

I lost all my back teeth due to old mercury fillings going bad and ended up having nine implants so I could eat and to stop my face sinking in !! My two front top teeth also broke in half so have veneers on them !!! Like you say what a mess I've also just had a spell in hospital because ikept sicking up pure stomach acid they found a chronic stomach ulcer and hiatus hernia ! Lord help us xx

• Posted

No I'm allergic to Nystatin got flucozanol for 7days feel better already and my acid reflux n tummy has settled so yes I think it's in my gut too . Apparently thrush is common with olp and low immune system !!! I'm staying positive coz I know how much damage stress does !! Thanks for your kind words prayers hugs back xx

• Posted

Yes I do. Finally went to periodontist and she prescribed dexamethasone to rinse with four times a day when you have a bad outbreak. Spicy foods like chili or some salad dressings seem to aggravate it. I try to rinse with water and peppermint oil or use the dexamethasone when I eat these things. Seems to help a lot and it’s a bit more tolerable. 
    • Posted

You use dexamethasone for OLP or for blisters under tongue?  
    • Posted

So far no blisters under tongue. Mine are more on my gums. They come and go. This stuff really works for me. 
  • Posted

Does this mean that your taste buds are working at 50% or less--used to love steak and chips --now can only taste bits of it now--very frustrating but there are far worse things in life

Anyone else have this problem??How do I cure it?

• Posted

Had biopsy of lesion confirming OLP.

Also have sores under tongue & inner rim of lips make stretching difficult, gums inflamed, dry mouth. Also have hashimoto thyroid. Sjhogrens lip biopsy non specific.

Have just started dexamethasone swish for inflammation, nystatin swish for yeast, plaquenil for immunosuppressant. 

What can be done to save teeth?

• Posted

Hi Sandy58862, Sorry to hear this. Hopefully the drugs will help calm things down. Concerning your teeth a lot of us had symptoms begin after dental work so if possible do nothing but good dental hygiene especially flossing. For me I have 5 root canals and 2 of them are failing😱So now I am faced with removal and my mouth rejects everything! Just my opinion but root canals can cause a lot of issues also. I also have Sjogrens 😫 Google root canals and holistic dentistry, very informative! Good luck with your teeth and choices👍🏼

• Posted

I have already lost two teeth because of OLP.  Scared I might lose more!   Had a biopsy done on my OLP cause my derm thought it might have turned into cancer but thank heaven no pre cancer or cancer!   What do you all do when you go to dentist?  My mouth hurts so bad I can’t stand them messing in it!!
    • Posted

Really appreciate your reply. 10 months into trying to understand & 1 month into diagnosis. So grateful for this site & hopefully I can contribute as well.

• Posted

Am 10 months into this & 1 month since diagnosis.  Had a huge flare after visiting dentist on month 5. Woke me up during night, felt like a bolt of lightning hit my mouth. Sores, burning, big lesion on rear jaw, felt like I had been kicked.

Just started Dexamethasone Swish (steroid for inflammation), nystatin swish (control yeast/fungal) that follows, plaquenil (immunosuppressive). Do you have the ring around the lips & @ corners of your mouth?

I use aquaphor ointment & nystatin & triamcinolone ointment.

Now am learning about diet etc.

• Posted

Dexamethasone alone helped me immensely. Triamcinolone made my gums peel. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.