Inflamed stomach lining how long for this misery

Posted , 14 users are following.

Had endoscapy and biopsy been told nothing nasty. On esomaprozal been told to go back to consultant in 4 week. How long does it take to heal?

0 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The esomaprozal​ will keep the acid down so that you have less heart burn. As for healking, all depends on if you stay away from the acid causing foods. Mine never really healed so to speak,just kept it at bay for some time. The esomaprozal​ did help though. After that didnt help, that is when I was put onto Nexium. I had the hernia for 9 years, some hernias dont bother people that much and are managable with medicine. Hope yours feels better soon. smile
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Valerie. just feels like this will never end. Don't get me wrong I am over the moon when consultant said nothing nasty see you in six week but still in misery with it. I asked the doctor for nexium and he gave me esomaprozal said it was the same thing but a different name is this correct? Or is he fobbing me off with a cheap alternative
    • Posted

Sorry forgot to mention the consultant said I had a inflamed stomach lining. Pressumablly after the Hpylori
    • Posted

Yeah it is. Sorry to confuse you. Omez and eomez. Two different ones. Eomez is the nexium. Omez is the Prilosec. Forgot how close in name they are. Six weeks should show you a great change. And then they say , no big worries, they check for a cancer of sorts. So yeah. Good sign. smile
    • Posted

Thanks Valerie I keep thinking the consultant is keeping something from me ha ha it's been going on for so long I don't know what to think. I so pose I have to trust him thanks😁
    • Posted

Hi

I had an endoscopy a month ago and it was said that i had severe pan gastritis..

Why do i get low energy almost all through the day and feel much better from9:00pm all through the next morning.

I dont have pains but i feel super uncomfortable to the point i have to lay down for hours till my energy comes back and i feel better.this has been on for a month and 2weeks  now, when will this feeling go because i have already lost one month of work . This thing is really annoying. Please help.

• Posted

Hi kevin

After having the HPylori bacteria in your stomach lining for some time it has probably made it extremely sore and inflamed. You have to give it time to heal...it wont happen overnight. Are you taking probiotic to replace the good bacteria the HP damaged. Probiotics come in the form of natural yogurt (Onken, Activia) and others. Choose the ones with live good bacteria like plain greek yogurts also mix with antioxodant fruits such as blueberries and grapes. You can also get probiotics in tablet form from health shop. Be kind to your tum and don't put to much spicey or heavy food into it. Just eat salads, chicken, fish, omelettes and veggies and fruit not citrus for the time being. Thus giving your stomach lining time to heal...you prob know all this but mentioned incase not...hope this helps......best wishes...

• Posted

Change diet. Get off oneprazol, read long term side effects. No alcohol, caffine or acidic food or hard to digest food, look at fodmap diet.
  • Posted

Thanks guys I will just carry on and hope for the best
    • Posted

Hi kevin69191

Have patience and carry out the advice. I forgot to mention to eat red or black grapes for antioxidants not green grapes. The blueberries and dark colour grapes are scrummy with natural yogurt.

Bon appetite.....best wishes...let us know how you get on..

• Posted

Hi

I was told I had severe inflammation which showed on endoscopy. My main symptom is a lot of belching after eating which gives me acid burning in mouth. This have been going on for about seven months with no relief fro pips. What symptoms do you get.

• Posted

Hi.

Just a constant tummy ache some days better than others. Not really bad with the belching if I'm honest. Just started eating soup and yogurt now and see how I go on. I have to go back for a consultation in 4 week. Just absolutely sick of it now it is ruining my life will this go on forever?

• Posted

People say it might take months this has been going on since June. Only been on the Esomeprozal (nexium) for a week hope they kick in and do the trick. Omeprozole did nothing for me.
    • Posted

Hi kevin69291

After H Pylori it could take up to a year for your gut to get back to normal...stop stressing!! anxiety is not going to help the situation...just ride it and do what you have to do to get back to a normal healthy life....if you ever need to chat you know you can contact the forum.....you have to stay away from acid forming food for your gut to heal.....go for it you can beat this!!!......tons of best wishes....

• Posted

Thank you very much for your comments Evan my girlfriend is sick of me going on about it ha ha it is truly horrible. What foods would you suggest I am on soup and yogurt now. Is there any books out there for non acid food thanks 😀
    • Posted

Hi Kevin

Gastritis is no fun.

Slightly confused at your response to some of the observations.

" Presumably after the H.Pylori"  !!!!!

Did the Endoscopy show H.Pylori or not ? And did you have a breath test or a stool test before that.

At least it sounds as though the Endoscopy showed no worse.

Do I take it that you did not take esomeprazole before the Endoscopy because this would have given a false result.

Esomeprazole is one of a number of drugs called Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs). There are a number with almost similar constituents. Nexium is another as is Omeprazole ( surprising you did not get on with this as it's as near as Esomeprazole as makes no difference). They all take just a little while to become most effective.

PPIs form part of the three drug therapy for H. Pylori though they will not kill the H.pylori on their own

Somebody said quite correctly that PPIs taken long term can have very serious side effects. But the anti H.Pylori therapy only takes two weeks and it is often followed by a further two weeks with the PPI on its own. So you are very unlikely to get real problems from that.

So the observation that it might take a year to rid the stomach of H.Pylori is a bit way out.

Somebody mentioned probiotics including Yoghurt, Excellent advice !

If you don't get on with PPIs, there are a group of drugs called H2 Receptor Inhibitors which started effective treatment for H. pylori. You may have heard of them. They include Zantac, Cimetidine etc. They have, in the main, been superceded by PPis. But they are slightly quicker in counteracting  acidity than PPIs and probably don't have such severe effects if taken long term.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi kevin69191

I did not say it takes up to a year to get rid of HPylori the AB's do that...I said it takes up to a year for your gut to get back to normal after being ravaged by the parasite.....but sometimes not all the HP is cleared as it is good at hiding in the gut and the duodenum due to it's spiral flagellum (tail) that can burrow and spiril itself into the gut wall.....it thrives on acid so non acidic food is favourite such as plain greek yogurt which has probiotic good bacteria because no doubt the HP and AB's destroyed alot of your good bacteria....mix with antioxidant fruits such as blueberries and red and black grapes...you can also get probiotic tabs in health shop.....eat chicken plainly cooked, fish plainly cooked or poached, poached eggs, omelettes no fried food. Salads no mayo or dressings, veggies plain boiled, fruit no citrus, water no fizzy drinks.....quite a bland diet no spices, fiz, fat or citrus.....if you have hot drinks don't drink them too hot or milky...and try to avoid milky drinks and have very little bread or go gluten free.....I think that's it......you should be pretty healthy if you stick with this diet and it will help heal your stomach.....it's up to you now..best wishes...

• Posted

Hi Derek.

I was diagnosed with hpylori after stool test. Took the triple antibiotics I was fine for a week thought everything was fine happy days. Then it went worse than ever stomach ache constantly I was never asked by my GP to return to see if it had cleared up. So kept going back every week and then they got sick of me and booked a endoscapy and biopsy at a private hospital. Went to see the consultant he said they would do it and tell me the results there and then. Fine I thought so had the camera and biopsy. Consultant told me as soon as they had done it that there was nothing nasty just inflammation of the stomach lining don't worry. Then I got a letter as I left the hospital see you in 6 week?? So I was confused at this point so I saw the consultant on the way out and asked him. He assured me again not to worry and there was nothing going on just inflammation presumably from the hpylori. I was confused at this point so rang his secretary and she said the reason for the 6 week was he was in annual leave? I was getting more concerned really because I hadn't got an answer as to the cause of this. I phoned his secretery a few times. She rang me and told me that when they get the results of the biopsy she will ring me. She rang me and said it came back nothing to worry about and he is happy to see me in 6 week but carry on taking the ppi. Now I am over the moon that there is nothing nasty there but feel like I have been left in the dark a bit. Everyone keeps telling me if there was something underlining going on he would have told me and got me in sooner this was a long reply ha ha

• Posted

It slowly does seem to be getting better but sometimes it doesn't.
    • Posted

Thank you Lilian great food advice I will follow that.

All the best

• Posted

Hi Kevin

Your GP was sadly at fault.

After the triple therapy you must have an H.Pylori test to see whether there has been eradication. Sometimes it doesn't but a change in the therapy does

However, they must have tested for H.p when you had your Endoscopy.

The reason why they have asked you to go back is that you have probably had three biopsies during your Endoscopy. Just to make sure that there is not some other underlaying problem. These will take a little time for the Lab to examine.

I take it that you had your therapy for a week and hopefully he gave you the Gold Standard therapy of a PPI eg Esomeprazole, plus two antibiotics - Clarythromicine, and Amoxcicillin.

It woud then be followed by the PPI on its own for a further two weeks just to give the stomach a chance to heal from Gastritis having got rid of the H.pyloris.

Six weeks on a PPI is not likely to do you any harm. Don't take them in the long term (I could tell you why).

If for any reason you need to take an acid inhibiter over a long period (and you really shouldn't), I would turn to the H2 Receptor Blockers which are slightly less effective than PPIs but have a lesser history of long term difficulties. These are Zantac, Ranitidine, Cemetedine and a few others.

But try to relax. I'm sure the biopsies will turn out OK. Your Consultant will advise you of the results and whilst you are with him just make sure that they found you totally clear when they did the Endoscopy. You will of course ask him what he thinks is giving you continuing problems after eradication and OK biopsies.

Best wishes

• Posted

Not sure about the burrowing effect of H pylori. The stomach produces a hormone Somatostatin. This hormone inhibits and regulates the concentration of Gastric Acid. For a reason which is not yet known to medical science H pylori has  the capability of reducing the effectiveness of Somatostatin. In addition some people have genetically more acid producing cells than others. It is the resultant concentration of acidity (or even strangely the lack of acid in some cases) which attack

the mucous lining of the stomach or duodenum and can cause ulceration. It is true that a higher level of H pylori has been found round the periphery of such ulcerations.

• Posted

Hi derek58875

I studied HP at university and have an honours degree in forensic biology. HP has the capacity to burrow and hide with the help of it's spiral shaped flagella which enables it to spiral its way into the gut walls and even evade antibiotics. A friend of mine has been battling HP for the last six years after taking copious amounts of antibiotics..she cannot take anymore ab's because they eventually do more harm than good..HP have the capacity to avoid naturally occurring stomach acid that's why the parasite survives for so long.....it creates ammonia in the stomach and changes the chemical makeup of the stomach and this facts shows on a breath test when HP is present.....At present research is being carried out as to how HP survives natural stomach acid and of late it has been found the HP produces a certain chemical that helps them thrive and survive....the object of the research is to produce a medicine that can destroy this particular chemical or substance the HP produces.....let's hope they have success! but then there will be a trial period to test the meds and this could take 5-10 years to test and be approved.....best wishes

• Posted

Lilian.

Obviously you know a great deal about HP. How does a person actually get it? I had never heard of it before and when I tell other people they are the same? And after eradication can it keep coming back?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Lilian

That is very interesting.

And your Uni education is truly impressive.

I hesitate to bore you with my own credentials.

Sufficent to say that both of us may have had a lifetime dealing with

Gastric issues - and no doubt, both of us have read more Scientific

papers on the subject than we care to remember.

I really really don't want to be rude but I believe that the question of H.pylori  having a burrowing capability is a little out of date.

I was also slightly surprised when you mentioned red fruits in terms of diet and is my memory at fault when I think you also mentioned red wine

as another source of antioxidants.

I have never seen any scientific evidence that antioxidants are beneficial in Gastric situations.

Fruit and fruit drinks should be avoided during Gastric Therapy - far bettter to take on board loads of steamed and various green vegetables.

And alcohol has a damaging effect on inflamed mucous lining.

As you know smoking is even far worse and should be an absolute no no for those with Gastric issues.

Many thanks for your interesting contribution.

Nice to be communicating with a very knowlegeable person.

Kindest regards

• Posted

Hi kevin69191

HP in passed in families, or it is passed by very close contact with another person....but for the most part it is passed by close family contact...as mentioned previously it can burrow and hide and evade Ab's so yes it can re-appear....that's why docs should do another HP test via stool or breath approx 6 months after the course of Ab's, but they don't always, so some people think they are free of HP when they are not.

My friend still had symptoms and went back to her gp and HP was detected again...so now she has regular checks..she has changed her diet and lifestyle and is feeling ok...although she has no idea if the HP has been completely eradicated until her next check.

I always say that if people go to their gp with HP symptoms the gp should do stool or breath test first before they send patients for endoscopies and ultrasounds etc when they sometimes have yo wait months for the appointment and the HP is flourishing during all that time and give prescriptions that do not help whatsoever thus saving time and starting AB's a.s.a.p and also saving time and money for the NHS...the NHS make work for themselves and cost themselves money......best wishes.

• Posted

Hi derek58875

I think your memory is at fault....No!!! I would never suggest alcohol...i suggest you read my reply again..red wine or any form of alcohol is a definite no no for a gastric stomach. Antioxidant fruit with plain yogurt would do no harm to a gastric stomach....I mentioned to re-iterate 'no spice, fried, fat, fiz or citrus i suggested plenty of veggies fish poached, chicken plainly cooked and poached eggs or omelette and salads no dressing, just plain cooking .....best wishes

• Posted

Agree with Lilian on an early need for an H.pylori test.

There is a proviso with regard to tests before Endoscopy.

When a patient presents with a history indicating H. Pylori - and this is th important bit - when the patient has obvious symptoms of Gastroeosophageal Disease - then urgent Endoscopy observation becomes very important. Time here is of the essence.

In these circumstances GPs request an urgent Endoscopy. Hospitals are time limited by the NHS when such an urgent appointment is requested.

In my experience these appointments are made within a fortnight.

• Posted

Hi again Lilian

Not really getting any better now and not due at consultants for another 4 week. I am thinking of getting a HP tester kit for myself as my symptoms were the same as before. Any advice or try and get into consultants earlier. This will cost me £150 for appointment as its private. He has had my results for a week or so now but all I have been told is nothing nasty and not to worry. But it's no consolation to me feeling like this. Any advice would be grateful.

Kind regards.

• Posted

Hikevin69191

I would not recommend a tester kit....is it really impossible for you to come off your meds for two weeks and get a stool or breath test at your docs?.....you say your not feeling good..surely you wouldn't feel any worse if you come off the meds for a while would you? you can then get the test done sooner. Failing that there is a letter your doc can send to the consultant called an 'expedite' letter to say you are experiencing severe adverse effects, you are in pain and generally unwell....go to your doc and request that he send the expedite letter so that you can see the consultant sooner...but preferaby I would try and come off the meds and have a stool or breath test...but of course, you know what you can deal with and what you cant deal with.....I feel a stool test or breath test are more definitive than anything else for HP diagnosis........but stop stressing because this will exacerbate your symptoms.....easy said than done I know...best wishes...

• Posted

Hello Lillian.

You have been such a help to me discussing this and you derek58875.

I phoned the the secretery of the consultant they have sent a letter to my GP with the biopsy results apparently. I have had no contact from my GP yet it was sent more than a week ago. Anyway she has a copy of it and told me it was negative for HP great news. But I have gastritis. Sopose it's just a waiting game now for my stomach to heal. I am on Esomeprozal would this be the right med for this or ask for another when I see my GP about this letter.

• Posted

Hi kevin69191

Good news kevin.....but I hope you are still going to go for the HP stool or breath test to make absolutely sure you are clear of HP and as a process of elimination...then you will be certain you are dealing with gastritis!....i cannot advise you on medication as I have not had experience of gastritis or stomach probs myself..but derek has been through it and he would be the best one with the experience and use of meds for gastritis....what is beneficial and what's not beneficial for your recovery........all the very best for your recovery......x

• Posted

Thank you Lilian. Would you suggest the breath kit then to make 100%
    • Posted

Hi kevin69191

No kevin I would not recommend test kit.....try and come off meds for two weeks and do stool test or breath test at docs....it is a more reliable test......just try your best to come off the meds...you will be glad in the long run......it makes sense...best wishes..

• Posted

Kevin, first want to say that I know how frustraed you might be because I also have problems with my stomch. But I want to warn you that taking ppi does come with side effects. It decreases stomach acid andif taken for prolonged time you can cause hypochlohdria and have difficulty in digesting food and absorbing it. You didnt mention which antibiotics you take for the helicobacter pylori. This bacteria has to be treated with a medicine not with stomach acid blocker. I came acrosss a doctor on youtube who made a video that bismuth and L-glutamine products speed the healing of stomach inflammaton and bismuth healing helicobacter pylori because of their substance. Maybe you can try and add bismuth to your terapy against the bacteria.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.