Inflamed stomach lining how long for this misery

Posted , 14 users are following.

Had endoscapy and biopsy been told nothing nasty. On esomaprozal been told to go back to consultant in 4 week. How long does it take to heal?

0 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I do not say that you should not use an Hp tester kit if it will settle your mind.

Two things to bear in mind. Even when done by the Medics blood tests are never as accurate as breath or stool tests. And tester kits, as you may imagine, are even less so.

I think you once mentioned that your GP never tested you after therapy.

And that was very remiss of him. Lets be clear. There are many for whom initial therapy does not work. But may often be cleared by a further and different therapy.

On the other hand, you have had a recent Endoscopy which amongst other things will have tested for H.p.

The Consultant will have reported the findings to your GP. Why don't you ask your GP for sight of the report.

You might  also tell your GP that you feel extremely stressed about the situation and ask him to settle your mind with a breath or stool test (Both much more accurate than a blood test). Particularly when he did not follow proper procedure by a post therapy test.

• Posted

Hi Kevin

Delighted to hear your good news.

No your Doc is right re Omeprazole and Nexium.

Lazoprazole - another PPI - has been shown to give better results but nothing wrong with what you are getting.

Just a word of caution. No question you will need a PPI for a few weeks to inhibit acid concentration and get you over your Gastritis.

PPIs should not be taken over the long term. Far better to fall back on antacids.

The American Food and Drugs Administration have issued a public warning re the long term use of PPIs.

• Posted

Thanks derrick you have been a good help hope this conversation has helped others. Have you suffered with gastritis?
  • Posted

Hi Kevin

I have had a 40 years battle with H.pylori - notwithstanding close working connections with medicine.

My problems have included a violent haemhorrage from a burst ulcer and various traumas resultant of the immediate and necessary operation on the Duodenum.

I am currently embarking on a new regime and I have great hopes of that.

The technicalities of this very clever little beasty are immense and involve high flown mathematics.

Cheers

• Posted

Hi took advice.

Stopped taking the Esomeprozal and just had 2 Zantac in a morning. Been doing this for 2 days now I know it's early days but feel like normal again. No stomach ache. Can the Esomaprozal and all the ppi have a reverse effect after a while. It's strange since I stopped taking them a few days ago I am starting to feel normal again.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi kevin69191

So glad you have stopped your meds! Yes medication can sometimes have an adverse effect. I have just come off meds that made me feel dreadful..I feel so much better now!...now you can stop altogether eat plain non acidic foods and have your HP test.....i wish you well kevin......let me know how the test goes..well done!!

• Posted

It is not likely that PPIs become less effective. They will always be slightly more effective than H2 Receptor Blockers.

But but but the side effects of PPIs are well known and therefore should not be prescribed either overtime, or to people  who show to be particularly affected.

It is a very good thing to get off PPIs as soon as possible and they are rarely prescribed for more than a few weeks or for a week - two weeks most - in Eradication Therapy.

I can't remember - was it you I told you about the American Food and Drugs Administration recently issuing a public warning about the long term effects of PPIs?

• Posted

PS It is normal to take one Zantac in the morning and one last thing at night to counteract the empty stomach acidity overnight.
  • Posted

Hello everyone do you get flare ups with gastritis. Felt fine all weekend and Monday was not that good and today felt like I have gone backwards. It's so frustrating
    • Posted

Hi kevin69191

Yes kevin you will experience a flare up after coming off meds..but please try and bear it. It can't be much longer until you have your HP test if it is then +ve for HP your gp can take the appropriate action....do you think you can get by..when is your HP test?

• Posted

Eradication hopefully clears the H.pylori. It does little to heal the Gastritis and Doudenitis that H.pylori causes. Given an absence of H. pylori post Eradication the body will heal these things itself. However it helps in this process to give the Gastric system a better chance by keeping Stomach acid low for three weeks or so. Hence the continuing treatment with a PPI or H2 Receptor Inhibitor. From experience it is better to take these acid reducers last thing at night - when there is little protective food in the stomach - rather than in the morning. A double dose is rather a lot. But if you're going to take two I would suggest morning and night. Have they scheduled for post Eradication testing ? Just been told by my Surgery that they don't normally do it. And that, by any standard, is not good medical tretment.
  • Posted

Hi everyone had to take go back on the Esomeprozal on Monday as I was get bad reflux after meals. But I can't have the stool test until

I stop them it's a roundabout. I see the consultant in 2 week for a consultation

• Posted

Hi kevin69191

Sorry to hear you had to go back on meds, but you know your limitations.....two weeks will fly by...chin up!!..

Also, if you do not mind sending me your email address because i would like to send you an article I was reading regarding ppi's. It was in the Sun newspaper yesterday it contains info I think you would be of interest to you and other ppi patients......kind regards and best wishes for your consultation.....

• Posted

Hi tried sending my email on here but for some reason it is waiting to send it
    • Posted

Hi kevin69191

Yes I know they are waiting for it to be moderated......we will have to wait and see if they approve it. I know that you cannot give web site addresses etc on the forum....I shall try and cut the article down to a precise....it basically said that a uni in US has done a study on ppi's and they've come up with the results that ppi's...taken over long term can cause kidney disease by 50%...and that over long term can cause heart attacks and strokes......that's it in short...but there were other details ......if your reply comes through il send you the article via your email.....goodnight and bedt wishes...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.