Info needed about Transvaginal Ultrasound

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Everyone, I am being sent to the hospital for this procedure after a little pink spotting...I am not looking forward to having this done and wondered if anyone could tell me if it is painful...Gp did internal exam and I even found that uncomfortable.

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Wainright. I've had a couple of these - they are very quick - under 6-7mins max, less uncomfortable than smears. all i felt was like period cramping pain when the instrument was poking about inside me. the best you can do hun is perhaps take a couple of parecetomol or ibuprofen(probably better) just before your appointment which will minimise any cramping like pain. but it's really nothing to worry about at all hun.  xx

• Posted

Hi Wainright. I think a transvaginal ultrasound is when the ultrasound wand thing is just inserted a couple/few inches into the vagina, so no biggie. It sounds like the procedure I had while pregnant, which really was nothing but you could always ask your health care provider just to be sure.

However, for anything more than a vaginal probe (or anything more than a pap smear) I simply don't undergo procedures without pain management any more.

I don't care if the doctor or others think it's only "discomfort." I don't like "discomfort" and unless they have a good reason why it's necessary not to, I want a strong pain pill or "happy gas." If I was told "no," I would find a doctor who said "yes." 

I am in the US and haven't had any trouble with this, although I usually do have to ask for it. It's often not offered automatically. It seems many of the posters here are in the UK and I don't know how things go there. Good luck!

• Posted

P.S. I have had all sorts of procedures done under my great new plan of demanding pain management, from dental procedures to permanent makeup (tattoos). Under the influence of a nice extra strong Xanax or whatever, I really couldn't care less what they do to me haha.  smile

• Posted

Ah, I keep pushing the button too soon. Just wanted to add that I mean pain management in addition to any local injections of anesthesia. I don't think you'd need that anyway for a transvaginal ultrasound, but for anything more than that. You might want to just start making it a habit to tell them that you have terrible anxiety about medical procedures and ask for something extra before you make the appointment.  smile

• Posted

Hey wainwright. Just checkin to see how you are doing. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.