Inguinal hernia - advice needed - what to do

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello

I’m quite new on the forum here, and would really appreciate some advice.   I learned recently that I have a small inguinal hernia (about 2.5 cm).    I’ve done a little reading here and elsewhere about hernia surgery, and must admit, that while I’d like to get this fixed,  I’m quite scared of what I read concerning the possibility that chronic pain could result from the surgery.    So my question to everyone here whose knowledge and judgment certainly goes well beyond mine …   what would you do if you were me?

Here’s my situation:  I’m 67 years old and in good physical shape, having been a distance runner for the past two decades.   I’m not on any medications whatsoever. My family doctor has described my hernia as “small”.  He feels I really don’t need to do anything about it at this time.  A second doctor – a surgeon with lots of experience with hernias – has also stated than an option is definitely watchful waiting.   He stated that the risk of anything serious developing was quite small (though not non-existent).   He did though, that “these things don’t get better on their own”  and most people eventually (with ten years or so) end up getting surgery.  

I did search around for a surgeon who was experienced with non-mesh repairs and this doctor certainly is. He does both types, but is an advocate for, and experienced with the Shouldice-type of repair.    I do understand that the recurrence rate is a little higher when mesh is not used, and  I would accept that because I just want to avoid mesh.   But in terms of chronic pain issues after surgery he has indicated that as many as 30% of people getting the surgery, can possibly have chronic pain issues.   (I read different statistics in different places, but if this number is anywhere near accurate, this really concerns me.)

Currently, my hernia is only mildly symptomatic.   I am aware of it, expecially at the end of the day when I have a few sensations (not exactly pain, but some different feelings there).   It’s probably more of an issue mentally than physically for me, because it’s on my mind.   Also maybe I’ve scared myself some by reading some of the online post-surgery stories.

The other factor for me is that I currently have a shoulder tendonosis issue that causes fairly constant, though low-level discomfort for me.   This is sometimes a challenge for me to deal with, and I certainly don’t want to add to this with any chronic pain that might result from hernia surgery. 

I should add that I’ve also read about exercises that could possibly resolve such hernias, or at least keep symptoms from becoming worse.  I’ve already started some of these, and am prepared to commit fully to these if they have potential.

Anyway, I know there aren’t any “right” answers, but I would really appreciate any thoughts concerning  what you would do if you were in my place.

I do have a surgery date schedule in about a month, but I’m really wondering now, whether I want to go through with it, or wait.

Again, thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!   I just don’t know what to do.

Norton

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had an incisional hernia which is indeed different.  You do have to understand that you are not hearing her from the millions of people that have no problem with mesh.  My understanding is that mesh has improved.  I had a 8" hole in my abdominal wall.  I also excersize.  My first hernia surgery was without mesh as the doctor said my muscles were strong.  That only lasted a few months.  Now I have a large mesh which I never feel except when I push on it.  No pain, just feel its existence.  

I am 64 and you are 67.  We are not getting younger and the older you get the more difficult it will be for you.  I don't think excersize will help.  I think excersize exacerbated my issues.  I did no excersize for 4 months.  Now I excersize with no problem.  

If you have a good surgeon don't worry.  Just get it done.

• Posted

Based on my experience of being 47 now and having had mesh in my body for 11 years is. Never , Never get ANY mesh at all! maybe things will change in the upcomming. But as far as I can tell they rely on the bodys foreign body reaction to build scar tissue around ALL meshes and so I would rule mesh out of any repair at this time due to the reaction and scar tissue being the culprit to everyones pain, as well as the hardened mesh..11 years ago I was in Wonderful condition, and could eat anything at any time of day... I can only eat bland chicken or steak, no seasoning due to the foreign body reaction mimicking IBS ...and IBS meds wont touch this condition. lol Now as for the watch and wait approach, ok and yes its a great idea if you are past your hard working physical years but if it gets any bigger remember youy are not getting any younger, so that all depends on how well you will fair up to surgery the older you get. and 3rd.... If it does get bigger or you do find the time has come to get it repaired...get it sutured . its small enough for a non mesh repair at 2 cm I am sure. and again this is my advise and I am not a money hungry Dr . I am just a guy that if I had to do it all over again I WOULD NEVER get mesh and am currently fighting to find a dr that not only will remove the mesh like Dr Jacobs in NYC but NOT use new mesh in the new repair.. some Drs want you to believe its not the mesh its the way it was installed...I dont buy that at all.
    • Posted

I'm sorry to read about your results, but feel you are one of the most unfortunate ones to have an incisional mesh repair.

• Posted

Scott, thank you for your reply and your thoughts.  Most appreciated!

I am so sorry for the suffering you've had to undergo and wish you the very, very best in finding someone who will resolve your issue.

You are obviously more knowledgeable and experienced than I am, but your views on, and concerns about mesh are consistent with mine.

I appreciate what you've said about waiting, and will certainly be giving this lots of thought.

Thank you, again.

My thoughts and wishes are with you

Norton

• Posted

No problem and thank you. Give it all the time you need as long as it doesnt hurt your all good, even mild pain wouldnt bother me after what ive been through. I have not slept more then 5 to 6 hours any given night in 11 years and no longer need an alarm clock due to the bloating and pain that builds up overnight. My next stop is Philadelphia for a consult to have it removed and the new hernia repaired.
  • Posted

My advice is not to read too much about what the operation would involve, otherwise you'll get tied up in knots as one reference could be contradicted in another.  

Don't think your hernia will go away on it's own, they usually get bigger.  

I have had four incisional mesh repairs and had no problem with them.  However, I had my 5th on 25th November, which was a major op, hernia approx 8 cm. Initially the pain was bearable but as time has gone on, it has become quite extreme.  Please do  not let this put you off, as mesh repair is the best and most successful, and every case responds differently.  

The best source of information is your Consultant and ask every question you can think of.  After all you are the patient and the Consultant should be able to answer the most awkward questions.

Wishing you luck with your decision.

• Posted

Barbara

Thank you so much for your note!  I very much appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Yes, I will be meeting again with the surgeon with a fresh set of questions.  (This will be the third time I've met with him ... he must be beginning to wonder about me.)

I've very sorry to hear about the pain from your last surgery.     My thoughts and prayers are with you for relief and recovery.

• Posted

I'm 65 and had a mesh repair of a smallish inguinal hernia (not keyhole) 18 months ago.  I don't regret it at all and it has healed up fine.  A truss was helpful while I was trying to live with the hernia but I'm mighty glad to be rid of it.  Most of these operations are very successful!  Go for it!

• Posted

Just adding my bit. A large incisional hernia repaired using mesh when aged 68. It started off quite small as they probably do, but ended up from just below my sternum  to about my navel. No problems 2 years later with lifting, gardening etc, but I am careful. I wear an abdominal support during the day as it is comfortable and makes me feel more secure. There is a bulge still, but I'm informed that it is fat. My GP checks during my 3 monthly 'Care Plus' visits. Best wishes. 

• Posted

Just to explain that my four posts below were deleted at my request. I thought the photos were a bit much. Hoping that Norton is finding the differing views some help. 
  • Posted

Hi Norton:

Go ahead and have the surgery. I had mine repaired way back in 1967 and never a second thought to it until now. It seems once it starts with a small tear it becomes so easy for it to become larger and larger. Also it will start pinching you  especially at night. Best luck, Ron

• Posted

How was it repaired? with Mesh or without mesh
    • Posted

My bet would be without mesh given it was in 1967. Lichtenstien method was not developed until the 70s and was not widespread until the 90s

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.