Inguinal hernia - advice needed - what to do

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello

I’m quite new on the forum here, and would really appreciate some advice.   I learned recently that I have a small inguinal hernia (about 2.5 cm).    I’ve done a little reading here and elsewhere about hernia surgery, and must admit, that while I’d like to get this fixed,  I’m quite scared of what I read concerning the possibility that chronic pain could result from the surgery.    So my question to everyone here whose knowledge and judgment certainly goes well beyond mine …   what would you do if you were me?

Here’s my situation:  I’m 67 years old and in good physical shape, having been a distance runner for the past two decades.   I’m not on any medications whatsoever. My family doctor has described my hernia as “small”.  He feels I really don’t need to do anything about it at this time.  A second doctor – a surgeon with lots of experience with hernias – has also stated than an option is definitely watchful waiting.   He stated that the risk of anything serious developing was quite small (though not non-existent).   He did though, that “these things don’t get better on their own”  and most people eventually (with ten years or so) end up getting surgery.  

I did search around for a surgeon who was experienced with non-mesh repairs and this doctor certainly is. He does both types, but is an advocate for, and experienced with the Shouldice-type of repair.    I do understand that the recurrence rate is a little higher when mesh is not used, and  I would accept that because I just want to avoid mesh.   But in terms of chronic pain issues after surgery he has indicated that as many as 30% of people getting the surgery, can possibly have chronic pain issues.   (I read different statistics in different places, but if this number is anywhere near accurate, this really concerns me.)

Currently, my hernia is only mildly symptomatic.   I am aware of it, expecially at the end of the day when I have a few sensations (not exactly pain, but some different feelings there).   It’s probably more of an issue mentally than physically for me, because it’s on my mind.   Also maybe I’ve scared myself some by reading some of the online post-surgery stories.

The other factor for me is that I currently have a shoulder tendonosis issue that causes fairly constant, though low-level discomfort for me.   This is sometimes a challenge for me to deal with, and I certainly don’t want to add to this with any chronic pain that might result from hernia surgery. 

I should add that I’ve also read about exercises that could possibly resolve such hernias, or at least keep symptoms from becoming worse.  I’ve already started some of these, and am prepared to commit fully to these if they have potential.

Anyway, I know there aren’t any “right” answers, but I would really appreciate any thoughts concerning  what you would do if you were in my place.

I do have a surgery date schedule in about a month, but I’m really wondering now, whether I want to go through with it, or wait.

Again, thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!   I just don’t know what to do.

Norton

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Live with it for as long as you can, I had a large incisional hernia repair with mesh, I would definitely recommend that you avoid mesh 20% of people with mesh hernia surgery develop chronic pain, 5% develop pain so severe that it affects their lives.  Effective treatment methods are extremely limited.  Most patients never get better and suffer social isolation and financial loss in addition to their pain accoridng to Dr Kevin C Pedersen M.D.  I am in the 20% with Chronic Pain which means there are 80% who have done very well with their mesh repair, however it is very distressing for the 20% who do suffer and more so for those who suffer extreme pain.  You are on the horns of a dilemma, I had one of the very best surgeons, all went well with the surgery, but I am know affected by the mesh, the problems with mesh are becoming more widely acknowledged, and I believe that when the medical profession comes up with a better way to repair hernias it will no longer be used. I for one will say a loud amen to that.
    • Posted

I think you are wrong with the advice you have given norton87766 because a hernia doesn't just go away, it gets bigger so what is the point of living with it.  You may be unfortunate with your mesh repairs, but that does not mean every patient is.  I have had 5 mesh repairs, and this 5th one is the only one that has bothered me.

• Edited

Hi Barbarbara, it will be up to Norton to consider what has been said him, it is a discussion forum, and it is good to get different perspectives on the subject and with the advice of his doctors up to Norton to decide what is best for him.  I am pleased for you that in the past you have not had any problems with mesh, but there is a 20% risk of chronic pain for all having repairs with mesh and a 5% risk of severe pain for some, so to have a repair with mesh is not something to be undertaken lightly.  I am one of those who lives with pain and discomfort and was not warned about this prior to my mesh hernia repair, I wish with all my heart that someone had warned me about mesh before my surgery, I would certainly have looked into all the methods of repair before going ahead with my surgery.  It is a lottery with 80% success rate and 20% chronic pain and worse for some, and I do believe that mesh will be banned in due course by medical authorities; it is already banned in Scotland for the repair of POP and SUI and there are numerous law suits going on right now in the states with regards to the above repairs.  It is the same mesh used in hernia repairs, a better means of hernia repair needs to be found which is as robust as mesh but does not introduce a foreign body into the human body, especially one based around petro chemicals which is what polypropolene is made from.  Some manufacturers of polypropolene say that it shiould not be used in the human body. We all need to be able to make well informed choices, I advise people not to rush into it like I did, but to look at all the options and with the help of medical people.  This surgery will change your life you will either be better but there is a 20% chance that you will not.  Yes I have a vested interest because I am suffering. 
    • Posted

Barbara dont think just because you think something is a good idea it is? I dont care how many repairs you have or had or are going to have. Every body is different and Norton is a Man I believe and his body may be doing a lot more physical things then yours not to mention some peoples foreign body reaction is different! this IS plastic you are sticking in your body made from PETROLEM based products, the body will tolerate it but does NOT want it. and some peoples reactions are worse then others.
    • Edited

Thank God you got here to tell them also! Some people dont understand once the mesh is in it triggers a foreign body responce and the scar tissue glues the nerves and any other organ that is near by together and causes great pain! I wished I could go back in time, for ANYONE who is ACTIVE dont get mesh and expect everything to go just swell. You are Gambling with your own health. and the odds only go so far! Take it from me I was a health 36 year old and now 47 with more problems from the mesh then I know what to do with.
    • Edited

Hello Scott I am trying very hard to be measured in my approach as hernia disease does pose people with problems, currently there is no easy answer as far as I can see; and yes people react differently to mesh, and when you agree to hernia repair with mesh you are gambling with your health and as we know not everyone is a winner.  I was so sorry to read your story it is tragic for such a young person, I am 70 and if I were younger I would certainly research having it removed, but given my age and what led up to my incisional hernia (4 major abdominal surgeries including a bowel perforation 4 years ago) dont think I can face any more ops, I was hoping that the hernia repair and abdominoplasty would fix me.  Ps I belong to other groups for those who are injured by mesh and I read stories that break my heart, from young people whose lives have been wreaked by mesh to the extent that they can no longer work, some have lost everything, family, husbands, work and in some cases become homeless.   This is not a subject that can be taken lightly, there are those fighting lawsuits against companies who produced the mesh.  I believe like one australian senator that it is akin to the thalidomide scandal, in due course it will be properly investigated and justice will prevail for those whose lives have been wreaked by these devices.  On the other hand for those who have benefitted from this procedure, I am pleased for them it is what I hoped for, but those who have been injured and for the ones whose lives have been ruined their voice in my opinion must not be ignored.
  • Edited

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.  We are calling this a mesh issue and if it wasn't for the mesh this 20% of people would be just fine.  I don't know about them but I had a very large hole and needed a mesh.  There is nothing else.  If the intestines that poked through this hole got strangulated, it would have killed me.  Yes I am dealing with scar tissue right now, but prior to getting the mesh after my first hernia surgery I had an intestinal obstruction.  I went to the ER and spent 4 days in the hospital with an NG tube up my nose.  That first hernia surgery without mesh didn't work.  The mesh surgery did.  

The point is the mesh is trying to heal a previous issue.  Yes there is an alternative, death.  I prefer life and a mesh.  

The only one that really knows whether Norton needs a mesh or not is Norton and his doctor.

• Edited

What are you crazy??? his hernia is 2cm! that is almost nothing? it can be repaired without mesh! its a no brainer there. and the Dr I see now would never use mesh in a repair that small.
  • Edited

This is supposed to be a friendly forum where people can advise or try to help. From what I have now read on this, no one is helping  Norton now as it has just become a tongue lashing and nothing more.
    • Edited

Oh NO! We wish to help Norton, but based on our experience of have Bad mesh reactions, telling him to have mesh placed in his body would be a huge mistake! and if that makes you uncomfortable that really isnt our fault. Telling Norton to put a petrolem based Plastic product in his body without fully knowing how is body will react is a very unwise recommendation. And a dis service to Norton to say the very least.
  • Edited

My sincere thanks to everyone for the very thoughtful responses to my original post (Inguinal Hernia –advice needed – what to do).     I respect that there are different perspectives on this, and that there’s no one “right answer” – particularly on the topic of mesh.     Nevertheless, reading the discussion and the different views on this has been helpful and to Scott, Barbara, Colin, Judith, John, Ron, Shirley, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences.    

At this point, even though I’m nervous about it, I think I’ve now resolved that I will go ahead and have the surgery.     I do understand that there are various arguments in favor of the use mesh, but since I have a doctor who is experienced with a pure tissue approach and who is not hesitant to use it in my case, my plan is for a repair without mesh.    My understanding is that the possibility of recurrence will be slightly (?) higher, but I’m willing to accept this.

Again, thank you so again for the thoughts and wisdom on this.   There is certainly no substitute for contact with those who have been through it. 

• Posted

Dear Norton, I am so pleased to hear that you have made a decision about your surgery, no easy decision to make.  I hope that your surgery goes well and that you make an excellent recovery.  Thank you for your kind remarks.  Shirley dancer
  • Edited

I was pretty much in your place. A few years back while working outdoors, I had a combo coughing/sneezing attack from pollen and foolishly held it all in. Noticed a little lump later in the evening and doctor confirmed a small, left inguinal hernia. He advised wait and watch. While I was only bothered a bit when on my feet for long periods, a dull ache, I played tennis and did all other physical activities. But the hernia was always on my mind. I didn't care for it.

So nearing end of 2016 I was advised my health insurance wouldn't be available into 2017 and so was my motivation for surgery. I located a surgeon who specializes in laparoscopic with mesh and made appointment. He also said it was small and didn't need to be addressed, that I could do what I liked without any immediate concern. My feeling was better to get it over with sooner rather than later as healing would be easier at 56 than 66 or 76. The surgeon was able to squeeze me in before year end, but at hospital rather than surgical center as the center was booked solid through early 2017.

I was petrified as never had any sort of hospital experience, surgery, etc. All that worry was for naught as it really was nothing in the scheme of things. He does mesh, a large 4x6" patch so a greater area distributed as to pressure. Makes sense. No glue or staples and held in place simply by pressure. Three small incisions, two really tiny below belly button and one slightly larger just to right side of belly button.

So the worst part was the ride home after the surgery. Dehydration. Had to stop and get a gallon of water about half way home. Otherwise is was quite a non event in that I never needed to take anything for discomfort even though I had a script for oxy. I had a bit of trouble sleeping for a few days as am a side sleeper and incision area was sort of crunched. On my back there was no discomfort at all. It was also a little uncomfortable as to waistband of pants for about a week, also the incision area. But second day post surgery I did a lot of walking along with normal daily activity less exercise. I live alone and had no problem's at all. Within a week I was doing light exercise, upper body, incline squats, etc. I did wait the month as directed to heavy weight or pretty much anything I wanted to do and now almost 2 moths post surgery I almost forget it ever happened.

Forgot to mention that I was a little bloated for a few weeks after surgery as being inflated takes time to dissipate after. But no big deal. I also found the cost to be very reasonable as even though out of pocket, with insurance as to the negotiated price it came in at $3,400.00 total vs. claims for 15k.

So it's as if I never had the hernia, flat again as the right side, no sensations of any kind anywhere and as to incisions, only the larger is still visible, barely and likely not for long.

Can't imagine anyone being more scared in advance than I was and can honestly say I'm really glad I showed up for it as had my doubt's.

Surgeon was Dr. Robert Josloff and hospital was Abington. Dr. Josloff said there was nothing to worry about and he was right. Of course he does so many he could probably do it in his sleep.

Hope this helps and good luck.

• Edited

Just an update.  It's been about four months since I originally posted here.  My dilemma was whether to have surgery or not for my inguinal hernia, and if surgery, what type.   Well, about nine weeks ago, after much deliberation,  I did have surgery.   The surgery was open, pure-tissue (non mesh).   Recovery has been reasonably good, with the usual discomfort and just minor pains - especially for the several weeks.   Currently, aside from some lingering surface (skin) sensitivity to clothes rubbing, and aside from the odd, infrequent and low-level twinge, things are pretty good.   I'm glad I did decide to proceed with surgery.

Thank you again, to everyone who responded to my original post.  Much appreciated. 

• Posted

Hi there Norton, just found this thread.

Glad surgery went well for you. So have you had Shouldice repair or something similar?

May I ask who was your doctor?

Many thanks,

David

• Edited

I’ve been in your exact situation for the past three years !!!    Finally scheduled shouldice  surgery for mid April.    But I’m still extremely nervous and hesitant to do it because my inguinal  hernia still doesn’t really bother me.  Can you give me some more details on your surgery ?   How would you compare the symptoms you were feeling before versus the feelings you’re describing now ?   Did you have a local anesthesia or general  anesthesia ?    How bad was it for the first few days and how big is your scar ?    Giving myself stomach pain already worrying about this ......so as much information as you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you in advance  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.