Inquiry into Scar Tissue after Hemorrhoidectomy Complications

Posted , 30 users are following.

I had the most excruciating expirience with an impaction that began with unholy pain, pouring sweat, vomiting, and screaming. It lasted about 30 min. of me manually evacuating the problem followed by me crying in an Epsom salt bath.

I had a hemorrhoidectomy about three weeks ago (never have this surgery at all costs) and I will regret it for the rest of my life. The surgeon removed two internal hemorrhoids, but the sutures I guess left this giant skin tag after the surgery. The next week took a turn for the worse when my internal sutures ruptured and I began hemorrhaging an emense amount of blood. Still have no idea how this happened as I followed all post-opp procedures to the letter. After a few units of blood and a bit of emergency surgery I was released the next morning. Thankfully this surgeon removed that large skin tag the first one left behind which caused a lot of discomfort So the whole cycle of pain began again and I reassumed the regiment of stool softeners, Percocet, regular sitz baths, controlled dieting, and constant ice packs. All I wanted was just a mildly annoying internal hemorrhoid that would not go away gone and I'm left with purple, unsilghtly anus with stiching that of Frankenstein. A week after the hemeroage scare things were getting better. The blood and mucal discharge had subsided and I was finally able to stop wearing menstrual pad (being a man I first had to figure out how to properly put these on and my heart goes out to women) but the pain was still crippling so I continued with the pain killers. I of course ran out a couple of days and had thought nothing of it since I previously had a few yet painful but successful bowel movements. This was a terrible lapse of judgment. I had no idea what the hell was going on when I went to use the bathroom. The pain was instant and that pressure on the sphincter was as if I was passing a bowling ball. After a bit of pushing and screaming agony I called my GI's office in a panic to inquire what was happening and the nurse told me I most likely had an impaction. Thankfully I had a hot Epsom salt bath prepared as is normal following a BM after this procedure because jumping in it was the only brief relief that gave me the constitution to talk to the nurse. She said this one is probably quite severe and my pre existing swelling made matters worse. She instructed me to find any lubricant within reach as I was home alone (all I had was polysporin) and worked me through manually removing the impaction little by little. Once the initial impaction was removed everything else behind it came flying out. It was such an amazing relief but left my anus sore and swollen as if I just came out of surgery. The nurse calmed me down a bit and told me to stay in the tub for a while then follow the usual cleaning and application of a steroid ointment for the inherent damage that had been done. When I was finally able to clean myself and the mess to the best of my ability I crawled to my bed unable to move. I called my sister who thankfully is a nurse and she promptly rushed over to my aid. After preparing an ice pack, and a couple Xanax she monitored my minor bleeding until it finally stopped.

So I'm writing this two days after the whole ordeal as I'm finally able to sit up again and I apologize for the long story but I just had to get this horrible expirience out somewhere. I'm back on the stool softeners, sitz baths, Proctozone ointment (which is just a prescription hydrocortisone cream), dieting, and regular ice packs. No more with the pain medication though, I don't care how bad it hurts now I will never go through that again.

I'm in constant panic that all this may have damaged my anus so much so that I will develop stenosis and be reliant on stool softeners for life or worse undergo more surgery. I'm only 22, and I'm also afraid my sex life is over or that my partner of five, going on six years, will find my destroyed anus grotesque. He's currently been out of town on business for the month this has all happened but after the second surgery he promptly flew home to stay with me a few days before he had to go back. He's been extremly comforting and supportive of this whole thing, checking on me constantly everyday since the first procedure which was just supposed to be a simple outpatient procedure. He's very understanding of all that's had been done to me and has never been "grossed out" by any of the details; only concerned for my comfort and recovery. He has yet to actually see the exent of the damage thought. But I don't know if it's just my insecurities of being a hideous mess who dies sad and alone eating at me but I'm just so afraid my condition may drive him away somehow.

Is there anything else I can do other than what I'm already doing to prevent/heal the scar tissue or is my fear of stenosis just unneeded panic? My clinic says not to worry but they said the same after my initial procedure leading me to distrust them. I'm kind of at my wits end here and any advice or wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Drew

1 like, 92 replies

92 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, Drew. I'm almost 2 months post op. No issues now with extra virgin coconut oil for my stool. Without it, it is still painful and hard to poop. Other than that everything is good. Just make sure if you really need this operation before doing it. If the tag just bothers you, if possible just try to put it back and drink lots of water and high fiber foods. I was having lots of bleeding before that's why I pushed for the operation. I didn't see me getting better before but I am now but if not really needed, I suggest just try to change your lifestyle a bit. smile

• Posted

I am dealing I guess with scar tissue? Two months post op and then area is very hard -and tender - worried that is an abcess, but perhaps it is remodeling of skin- it does feel like hemmoroids- hard not to worry- and when can we stop? :-(
    • Posted

Hi dear,

I feel exactly the same. Did yours went away with time or should I get second opinion? My doc says its fine (4weeks post op), but I really feel worst and instead of one external pile removed it looks like 2 new ones.

• Posted

Hiya could you help me with some advice please , my husband had a Hemorrhoidectomy 5 days ago, same as yous hes been in awful pain but taking Diclac and paracetamol and Tramadol up untill yesterday, he had a packing in but it fell out on the 2nd day , i giant one removed inside and 2 outside , it seems to be healing hes still on Flagyl antibiotic but i can see a tiny bit of yellow on the wound , but it does look better otherwise, is that normal ? And hes only taking Senacat and Lactolose as stool softeners and 1 bath a day with dettol , is there anything else i can do to help him heal , Thankyou ???

• Posted

I am one month post op and doing well. But just know that those first weeks are touch and painful. Sounds like he might have some infection but the Dr will verify that for you, but cleaning and soaking after bowel movement are a must. Make sure he does more than one sitz bath with epson salts. I found it uncomfortable to sit on the ones that fit over the toilet so  I just filled the tub and chilled and read for 20 minutes. Make sure after he poops to watch the area with liquid soup and then spray clean. To make ti easy I got a very inexpensive LOTs of them on amazon. THis is a must. to keep the area clean and sooth as well.

Tell him to hang in there...it gets better, really it does. and so happy I did it now!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Edited

Hi ,

To all I feel your post hemorriodectomy. Dave from the UK. I'm post op 12 weeks. This operation takes up-to 6 months to fully heal. There are some rules I would love share with all who experience this operation. Tips I guess to help. That really has worked.

1/ Ask the hospital for instillagel. Local anesthetic in a syringe. Prior bowel movement. Post movement for two weeks post op.

2/ Have a shallow bath. Add a little salt to the bat water, bathe Straight after BM. As your muscles down there are relaxed. Soak 20 minutes.

3/Use Fibrogel, sachets 2-3 a day. These are a god send. Bran sachet . They help to keep your BM formed but soft. Not runny. Which will cause more prone to infection if your BM are liquid. After week 6-8. Drop down to 1 sachet per day. Drink at least 3 pints of water through the day.

4/ You will experience a yellow discharge. Some poop leakage too. Don't be alarmed. Your muscles have been opened to extreme. Lol. Anyway. When you feel this leakage. You must try to clean up straight away. Little water, soap etc..

5/ So take a dip in a warm/hot bath for 20 mins after BM. Plus have another bath at night before bed. All this helps with healing the area.

6/ I get all the degrading leakage, one thing I forgot to mention. If your a man. Be glad of lady monthly pads. There another god send. Helps to suppress the leakage. Change 2-4 tines a day. Happy days. the pain is hard mentally, physically drains you in and out the tub. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. Use the items, make a list. You won't go far wrong.

7/ Don't sit on your butt for any long periods for the first 8 weeks. Try an walk when you can, not to much. Little by little. This operation will take up-to 6 months. Due too the area. It's a roller coaster of 1 step forward. Two steps back. Blood, tears, anxiety, frustration. But listen. Use the things above with a good diet. Bingo you will come through this. It's a long one. Good luck to all. Feeling your pain and discomfort. Dave. England. UK.

• Edited

You advice was great and used all you said but wish y ou would retract that Fibrogel. I went and ordered it sadly to see that it has a most toxic ingredient, aspartame...which is linked to various nuereological illnesses. There are better and more natural similar fiber drinks on the market. Thanks . I'm a month post surgery and doing GREAT

• Posted

My surgery is on May 9th. Asking for prayers and also wanting an update...is anyone..and hopefully everyone feeliing better by now??? 
    • Posted

You now are post op about three weeks. How are things now? I am on day 10 and struggling badly with BM action. Was doing everything perfect. Diet. Stool softeners, fiber pills,water, rest, soaks and one pain killer daily(to avoid constipation) but only pooped once a little on day 3. Thought I might be impacted but dr recommended enema if I could and I did. Got a little liquid poo but no solid. Took 2 laxatives yesterday morn and two scoops miralax which has caused nausea added to pain. Fluids and no food. A few hours later had one lime sized poo. Pain and then pain med and bath. Almost went to emergency room but held out. Passed to big ones in middle night. At least I am not impacted. Today on and off toilet with one or two BM each time and pain. Hopefully once this 6 days of crap leaves me and I only have one poo a day. Will that happen? Ever? I look forward to seeing it was worth this to have a normal toilet relationship.
    • Posted

I wanted to respond to this site earlier but was in too much pain. but doing GREAT this week. The first 2 weeks were torture but now no regrets. The best thing I bought to help was a $12 plastic portable bidet bottle spray that made it easy to clean well after each bowel movement.  That made it clean and I used paper towels to pat dry.  I did wear lady diapers the first 2 weeks just because I was havng lose stools and it jsut made it easire in case of an accident. Yesterday I actually went to the park for a 45 mintues walk and short jog. Happy i went thought it. I have a small lttle bump on the outside, that I thought was a small hemorrhoid but Dr said it was not and can be removed later if it doesnt shrink away. Thanks for asking. I am surely over the hump on the healing and have no regrets. 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Thanks Rose. I am now three and half weeks. Mornings are the worse when I spend a couple hours(with walking in between) For BM. Then I soak and and hour later almost ok. I am not constipated but as before the surgery, cant eliminate fully. Are you able to have normal BMs and feel your old self, minus hemm? I know it's better then the first two weeks but I feel 60% myself.

• Posted

I had a really rough time at  2 weeks... I had my post op visit and was so sore.. The Dr said I wasn't fully passing my stools..that the "bolis"  I had never heard the term before, was fillin up and made me take miralax 3 separate times in one day. After that the next day, I finally emptied out and have felt better since then but I make sure to eat a mostly vegetarian diet now...very little starch..as much as I love it, I lost weight but that's good because i have a wedding to go to next week. I'm finally good enough to go and dance. Just hand in there a do thos sitz baths with epson salt. Hang in there...this too shall pass.  Sending good vibes your way. 

• Posted

Oh my I am so sorry that you are going through this. I had my surgery on Tuesday and have experienced a lil diarriah but yet to have a normal bm what was the step she they had you take to remove thenimpaction?
  • Posted

I had hemorrhoidectomy six months ago and developed fissure on surgery site. So I am still here dealing with the recovery. During my darkest days of recovery, I did read some encouraging patient posts and wishes there were more of that, and maybe the rest of us can figure out a bit why we are not healing as well. I hence developed RearCare Self Help Community for patients who have successfully healed to share their helpful tips. If you have healed completely, please consider making a difference and go to ReaCare (Search for it). No sign in or any requirement. We just want to hear your stories and recommendations. I hope Patient forum won't delete my post. 

• Posted

What a great idea. I wanted to put together a list of helpful hints from all our experiences to print up for my Doctor. He should pass them out to his patience who have hemmoriodectemy. He is giving the profession advice, ie: fiber, water, stool softners, rest, baths,etc and not the ways to deal with the pain and ideas for taking a BM. this is why we are not healing. The BM is irritating our rectum and without proper ellimination we don't do well. I still swear by taking BM in warm sitz bath on toilet. I am trying to wean a little now at 1 month but after first BM I throb so continue into the Sitz for rest. It sometimes takes me three visits in a 2 hour period to complete BM. This does a number on setting my back on my healing. Can't see how it will ever heal at this rate. I will take a look at your new site. ReaCare. It would be good to get some success stories to give my some positive feeling right about now. Nancy

• Posted

Thank you for your response and kind words on RearCare, Nancy. I have dealt with this six months now so I know a thing or two about this recovery (not all - otherwise I would have healed). I have been doing sitz bath BM since my fissure diagnosis a month ago. (I developed fissure after hemorrhoidectomy). It definitely reduces the pain. The key I found is warm yourself up really well before your BM. This means you may have to hold a bit until your muscles completely loosen and relax. I stood in hot shower for 5~10 minutes. Also you need to manage to clear it out all at once. If you can, try squatting position. Mine BM takes less than one minute. More than one BMs did give me setbacks, like diahrrea two weeks ago. So watch for triggers of diahrrea. I did post a few blogs on RearCare. I also found two of the most comprehensive recovery to-do lists online and posted on RearCare's Self Help Success Story section. Hope you find some relief soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.