Inquiry into Scar Tissue after Hemorrhoidectomy Complications

Posted , 30 users are following.

I had the most excruciating expirience with an impaction that began with unholy pain, pouring sweat, vomiting, and screaming. It lasted about 30 min. of me manually evacuating the problem followed by me crying in an Epsom salt bath.

I had a hemorrhoidectomy about three weeks ago (never have this surgery at all costs) and I will regret it for the rest of my life. The surgeon removed two internal hemorrhoids, but the sutures I guess left this giant skin tag after the surgery. The next week took a turn for the worse when my internal sutures ruptured and I began hemorrhaging an emense amount of blood. Still have no idea how this happened as I followed all post-opp procedures to the letter. After a few units of blood and a bit of emergency surgery I was released the next morning. Thankfully this surgeon removed that large skin tag the first one left behind which caused a lot of discomfort So the whole cycle of pain began again and I reassumed the regiment of stool softeners, Percocet, regular sitz baths, controlled dieting, and constant ice packs. All I wanted was just a mildly annoying internal hemorrhoid that would not go away gone and I'm left with purple, unsilghtly anus with stiching that of Frankenstein. A week after the hemeroage scare things were getting better. The blood and mucal discharge had subsided and I was finally able to stop wearing menstrual pad (being a man I first had to figure out how to properly put these on and my heart goes out to women) but the pain was still crippling so I continued with the pain killers. I of course ran out a couple of days and had thought nothing of it since I previously had a few yet painful but successful bowel movements. This was a terrible lapse of judgment. I had no idea what the hell was going on when I went to use the bathroom. The pain was instant and that pressure on the sphincter was as if I was passing a bowling ball. After a bit of pushing and screaming agony I called my GI's office in a panic to inquire what was happening and the nurse told me I most likely had an impaction. Thankfully I had a hot Epsom salt bath prepared as is normal following a BM after this procedure because jumping in it was the only brief relief that gave me the constitution to talk to the nurse. She said this one is probably quite severe and my pre existing swelling made matters worse. She instructed me to find any lubricant within reach as I was home alone (all I had was polysporin) and worked me through manually removing the impaction little by little. Once the initial impaction was removed everything else behind it came flying out. It was such an amazing relief but left my anus sore and swollen as if I just came out of surgery. The nurse calmed me down a bit and told me to stay in the tub for a while then follow the usual cleaning and application of a steroid ointment for the inherent damage that had been done. When I was finally able to clean myself and the mess to the best of my ability I crawled to my bed unable to move. I called my sister who thankfully is a nurse and she promptly rushed over to my aid. After preparing an ice pack, and a couple Xanax she monitored my minor bleeding until it finally stopped.

So I'm writing this two days after the whole ordeal as I'm finally able to sit up again and I apologize for the long story but I just had to get this horrible expirience out somewhere. I'm back on the stool softeners, sitz baths, Proctozone ointment (which is just a prescription hydrocortisone cream), dieting, and regular ice packs. No more with the pain medication though, I don't care how bad it hurts now I will never go through that again.

I'm in constant panic that all this may have damaged my anus so much so that I will develop stenosis and be reliant on stool softeners for life or worse undergo more surgery. I'm only 22, and I'm also afraid my sex life is over or that my partner of five, going on six years, will find my destroyed anus grotesque. He's currently been out of town on business for the month this has all happened but after the second surgery he promptly flew home to stay with me a few days before he had to go back. He's been extremly comforting and supportive of this whole thing, checking on me constantly everyday since the first procedure which was just supposed to be a simple outpatient procedure. He's very understanding of all that's had been done to me and has never been "grossed out" by any of the details; only concerned for my comfort and recovery. He has yet to actually see the exent of the damage thought. But I don't know if it's just my insecurities of being a hideous mess who dies sad and alone eating at me but I'm just so afraid my condition may drive him away somehow.

Is there anything else I can do other than what I'm already doing to prevent/heal the scar tissue or is my fear of stenosis just unneeded panic? My clinic says not to worry but they said the same after my initial procedure leading me to distrust them. I'm kind of at my wits end here and any advice or wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Drew

1 like, 92 replies

92 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey Drew,

I see it's been about a year post your surgery. I just wanted to see how did everything pin out for you. I had mine about a month ago to remove a small external hemmoroid (mistake) and I'm familiar with pain but this... WOW! I've made so many deals with God every time I had to use the restroom. The agonizing pain is gone, but as you said, my butt is grotesque. I looks like my anus has balls. It's far worst than it was before and aside from kicking myself for having this surgery I am completely freaking out even though some say it's just sweeling. So how is your booty now?

• Posted

Hi, ada69557,

I am not Drew, but just want to share my own experience with swelling. I am seven month post hemorrhoidectomy. Right around one month was when the swelling was the worst. It went down significantly after that, but was brought back a few time because of straining during BM. The later swelling was not nearly as bad as at one month post-op. And it also went down faster. I still get a little swelling even now with either straining or multipla BMs a day. But it goes down quickly too. I've found ice or cold press helps reduce swelling. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I need some help now that I am 9 weeks post opp and my doctor says i am totally healed. It still stings to push and go and takes me a few hours just to stop my aching stomach and to go a little.  Did you have problems elliminating after 2 months? I still have to struggle every morning to go and have begun using an emema bag every couple days just to clear myself out. If I don't I have to push too hard to even go and sometimes that doesn't help either. I am afraid my roids will return and I will never put myself through this surgery again. Ever! Any help with this issue or some positive results from others would be appreciated. nancy

• Posted

Just wanted to update all that is is 10 weeks post surgery and I am doing very well. I think the many sitz baths helped alot and so did the portable spray plastic bottle bidet that I used after every movement. with cool water...cleans and soothes. I also eat really well. Mostly vegetarian  diet and much less grains and crackers...my husband calls crackers and chips "dietary crack" and that does make you more constipated...also, get moving in other ways. I walked every day in the park and now I am up to jogging part of the time. Also, kegel exercises. Good luck and blessings to all for speedy and perfect recoveries. I have no regrets at this point. 

• Posted

Hi, Nancylynn18,

After some trial and error, I've been able to manage a very regular and easy BM everyday. Here are a few things I've found useful:

1) Highly veggie based diet (agree with Rose's post). Avoid grain for a while. Add fibre supplement. Benefibre, for example.

2) At least 8 glasses of water. Add prune juice, whenever you can.

3) Miralax (This works as a mild laxativ and is very effective to make you go at the same time each day. Recommended by my doctor - You can split its daily dose into two halves and take a half in the morning and the other at night.)

4) Stool softner - 3 pills a day. I could be wrong, but I feel Miralax is more effective at regulating BMs.

4) Excercise (Agree with Rose's post again) - walk, jog, swim, etc.

Also, I've learned everyone has three external hemorrhoids that could become inflammated. If not removed, they (it) could emerge under stress. My remaining one hemorrhoid (after the surgery) did get inflammated with post-op stress (I never had problem here before). But with ice and some medication, it is coming down. I heard other people complain about new hemorrhoids after this surgery. Guess our body is prone to inflammation here - we just need to address it early. Keeping the inflamation down also helps smooth up your BM. So if you do feel hard hemorrhoid(s) there, you can use ice and some over the counter hemorrhoid cream there. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Just want to add - About Miralax. It is safe to use Miralax everyday for an extended period, I was told by my doctor. Miralax works slowly. It is best at creating a routine without causing a sudden urge to go. I have been using it for the past five months. I am using half of its dosage now. Maybe I don't need it now, but I just want to be safe. For most days, I have BM once a day, in the morning, and it takes just about a minute or two to empty.

Also, don't be afraid of BMs. Several times I thought my BMs caused tear or damage. It either did not, or my body just fixed whatever the problem quickly. Focus on what you can do after your BM, prepare and "embrace" for the impact (unfortunately inevitable at the beginning). If your doctor said it looks healed, it is probably true you are healing well, although "feeling well" can take longer.

• Posted

Thank you for the words of hope that I am healed but feeling well can take longer. I am looking forward to being able to have a good full day and not one starting after 1 pm once the elimination process is complete(well sort of) and I stop feeling nauseous. I know about the miralax but havent used it lately. I think you are right and it is the way to proceed now. I mix it in grapejuice or applejuice and now just have to get into the daily habit. I just don't want to be focusing on my bottom anymore. Its getting boring and all encompasing when I make plans to stay overnite anywhere. I had three internal and two external removed and the doctor said I took a bit longer than others to get through the most painful time. My took almost 4 weeks to be toleratable. Now its just the end part(no pun intended lol) I have to get through and with your help and others that have paved the way.....there is hope. Its nice that others are here for suppost and guidance. Thanks so much. Onward!

• Posted

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your experiences. I had my surgery on Monday the 24th at 9pm! Yes, my surgeon was running behind. I ended up being admired to the hospital because I could not urinate after he surgery.

I was well prepared for the hell this surgery is. My father and all his 5 siblings have had it. And my surgeon did not mince words about it either. She told me: you will hate me for a good 3 to 4 weeks. Your ass will look like a bomb went off there. And when she came to see me in the hospital and I told her that so far the pain was manageable, she told me "you haven't had a bowl movement yet".

While still in the hospital yesterday, I had pain as though someone was inserting a burning curling iron up my rectum. Once I got home, the gas and bloating were horrible. I thought I was going to explode. I decided to get up to pee (which I have mainly been doing in the shower standing) and behold, I had a bowel movement and passed that gauze they shove up your butt. Passing the POop and gauze weren't the most painful. It was actually sooner than I thought it would be (as I generally have issues with constipation) but after that s**t came out, the pain was excruciating. I took 2 percacets so I could go to sleep. They prescribed me percacet every 6 hours but that thing runs out every 4, like clock work. Yesterday, I was taking two at a time, but today I have managed on one. I am really scared of having to use the bathroom again, but still doing ok.

The worse part for me have been the spasms in my sphincter. These spams are horrible, because when I am lying very still my butt feels ok, but then these spams come and it is searing pain.

I still would have done the surgery. My dad had the worse experience with scar tissue and the doctor had to stretch his passage and he would still do it again.

I have been suffering with hemmorhoids for about 20 years, but these past few months have been brutal. I had a hemmorhoid the size of an acorn right at the entrance of my anus. I had bleeding (once on my husband's company trip) that made my legs and clothes look like they came from a murder scene. I am looking forward to having a normal life that doesn't center so much on my rearnend.

• Posted

Hang in there Lux...and don't over do it with the percasets as they cause constipation and are very addictive! Try to wean to a high dose of Advil...talk to your MD.  ALso, those sitz baths are a must...sitting in warm or even cool if you want, baths with epson salts and but a portable bidet and keep it next to the toilet for easier and less painful cleanup , also hemmorihoid pads. Change y our diet to more veggies and foods that help you have a smooth move. Best wishes. 

• Posted

Hi,

I see you're pretty much my last hope for this surgery. Allow me to explain. I am a 36 y/o male and my issues are: internal and external hem, anal leakage and swelling for hours after defactaing, and often times bloody toilet paper after wiping due to the hem. As it doesn't hurt me (only very little), my butt doctor recommended this surgery. I am not scheduled until September 11th 2017 to have it, so wanted to know what I can do to prep. 

After reading through all of the comments, I am thinking starting Miralax now along with some stool softeners. I have already been taking a fiber supplement as I'm trying to get regular. TBH, I am afraid to poop in the morning due to the leakage and when I do, I wear black shorts or jeans in order to not have the leakage show during my work hours. As this is very embarrasing for me, I know I should have the surgery.

If you can, please answer me these questions OR anyone else still monitoring this article.

1. Does this really hurt as bad as everyone has stated? (I have a pretty high pain tolerence).

2. Will there be lots of blood and should I not sleep on my bed due to this?

3. Going back to number 1. How long does this really hurt afterwards? i.e. days, weeks?

4. I am planning to take off work for about 20 days after, would this be enough time for my butt to recover? (I only ask because I am a software engineer and my daily work keeps me sitting for 7+ hours).

Any reply would be very helpful and very appreciated. I am nervous and need some comforting replies please. I understand people said to not have the surgery unless I am in pain, but with all this bleeding, mucus leakage, and swelling for hours afterwards, I must have the surgery.

Regards,

DonSni

• Posted

Doni, I had my surgery on the 24th. Although I went into this well aware of the suffering (by both my father and doctor's info), the pain is pretty viscous. However, I am a bit over 2 weeks post op and I do not regret it at all. Not for a second and not even at the height of my pain. Like you, I suffered endlessly. I had 3 internal hemies removed (one that was pretty much on the outside- I have outside cut and stitching- and was prolapsed to the size of a golf ball). 2 were cut and removed with closed sutures and one was banded. I can say I am over the hump. The first few days I could hardly go 4 hours without pain medication and sometimes I would take 2 after going to the toilet. I still don't regret it. Every time I go to the restroom now, I poo like a normal person. My bm have been super regular -once a day on the morning- and I spend about 4 minutes tops. I don't push. I didn't have a lot of bleeding post op, but decided to keep my poo and mush as I could so I didn't die passing stool. 

Again, this is not walk in the park but man, was it worth it. Just the fact that I am no longer tucking in the hemie or afraid I am going to bleed like a horror movie in public alone is worth it. 

My father had his 20 years ago and he doesn't regret it. And he suffered like the devil.

I am glad I did it. I have my life and my bum back. 

• Posted

Bye, I took 4 weeks off of work. I work sitting, driving all day. Couldn't imagine doing that until then. 

• Posted

I have no regrets doing th surgery .Don, you need your life back. Go for it, but be prepared to need to take 6 weeks off of work. Ask if you can work from home. I didn't find sitting that bad, but didn't want to leave house as bowel movements were painful after the surgery and you'll need to sit in sitz baths a lot. See if you can get 6 weeks off and work from home. Peopel out there. PLEASE avoid constipating and highly addictive pain killers. Ask your Dr if a strong advil will do. It worked for me but yes, I did have pain. I am 3 months post surgery and 99.5 % better. Just seems like a narrowing of my canal but that might change over time. Anyone reading this, buy a portable bidet...it looks like a plastic waterbottle so no one will know. It was a life saver to clean after the surgery. 

• Posted

Lux,

Thanks for your reply. I imagined that it would take more than 3 days. My but Dr. said I could go back to work after a few days. That guy....

• Posted

Rose,

Thanks for your reassuring update. So you also had the embarrasing bleeding/leakage after a BM prior to having this surgery? My hem hangs out for hours afterwards. I'm literally afraid to poop in the morning before work as the leakage/blood has seeped through on a few ocassions. This happens with every BM. I'm almost certain I do NOT empty all the way either as I'm on the toilet most days for 20+ mins at a time. It's so bad, I hit the vagel nerve and almost pass out, but never strain to poop. It's very weird.

I'm going to try and minimize having to use the pain meds as I suffered from alcoholism for many years. So, basically, what you're saying is the pain will pretty much go away within 5-10 days tops, but the BMs will continue to hurt for up to 6 weeks post-op?

I can try to get leave from work for 5-6 weeks as I'm sure my manager won't mind, but trying to not come back if I'm unable to sit on my bottom.

Thanks

• Posted

I did not have any leakage...some bleeding and bulging. Never leakage. You must do this is  you have that. That is hard to have to deal with...so sorry. Please all of you...for speedy healing...eat well... no addictive drugs or alchohol.. I went mostly veggie and organic. If you are in a state with legal marijuana, I would get a script for that and cut out the addictive drugs.  Get some good books to read and just sit in the bathtub in epson salt and heal. Stay away from grains and remember oxycodone is both addictive and causes constipation! 

• Posted

Doctor is crazy. Day 3 is probably when my pain really started to get horrible! I am now st 2 1/2 weeks and getting better everyday! 
    • Posted

I once bled so bad (at a trip to England with my husband's company, entire management) it looked like a murder scene down my legs. Soaked my skirt... thank goodness I was wearing all black and no one saw it. It was bad. Go for it!

• Posted

Hello Doni and everyone else who this might benefit. I am on day 3 post-op and there has been no other .time in my life where I wanted to to take time back so badly and in this case never have done the surgery. Let me start by saying that , while I do have hemorrhoids, my main concern was an anal fissure that bled and hurt a lot by my hemorrhoids and bowel movements were under control. I had bad episodes now and then but there were no longer an issue after I managed to get regular BMs with soft stools. During pre-OP, the surgeon said "we'll remove the scar tissue and inject a botox in the fissure to allow it to heal and in the mean time remove that skin tag from your outside hemorrhoid". This gave me the impression that it was going to be an easy operation and so I only planned on taking 2 weeks off work. Anyway, I consider myself to have a high pain tolerance by Dear God, this pain is an immense, crippling pain , even on pain killers ! I can't think of anything my my suffering and my new reality. I struggle to urinate and I can't have a BM without screaming like an animal and then the instant pain that follows is almost indescribable. I tried to only have 1 BM a day but with the extra fiber intake and stool softener that I take now , it is pure torture to feel the build up leading to it and try to force myself not to go. I absolutely dread every trip to the bathroom.

I never thought one can go through so much suffering in this day and age with modern medicine.

I know I am only on day 3 and this maybe the worst week of suffering and that I will get better but still ,If I had known that this was going to be a full blown hemorrhoids removal procedure, I would have backed away at all costs.

• Posted

Sorry you are suffering. It's not been 24 hours post-op for me yet. Had my surgery yesterday. No pain until this morning, but I have not slept yet. I feel like I have to urinate and poop asst the same time. I think mentally I'm afraid to go poop.

I have the desire and need to poop, but can't. The feeling is starting to come around and the numbing is going away. The gauze came out no issue last night.

I have a feeling today is going to be terrible. I'm sleepy, I need to poop, and my booty isn't feeling good.

Thanks for the reply

• Posted

I am 3 months post surgery. 3 internal and two external removed, the first couple weeks were definitely the worst. My friend was sleep , tub and sitz bath. The pain of bm was subdued when taken in the warm sitz bath. Discusting? Maybe but u dump it and rinse and sit again to soak or go more. I continued this past week two. Once I was pretty much healed I stopped. Sometime I soaked after bm the first month. 

The bath is a great place to lay while awake but still want to be laying down. I took stool softners and fiber and tylonal pm to sleep.  Pain meds causes constipation. Walking is good but I did not feel up to it the first 5 days. It will get better but takes time. Hang in there. Nancy

• Posted

Today is day 5 post Op. I can't say there is any improvement yet. The pain is still overwhelming and I get some extremely painful spasms when I need to go. I'm still bleeding all day but not a lot and it hurts to sit down for more than 30 minutes at a time. I have been following the good habits most folks advise, soaking in warm water immediately after bms but that only temporarily reduces inflammation. I'm basically K.O after a bm for atleast 2 hours. I have been surviving on a minimal diet , just a bowl of high fiber cereal and an orange in the morning, some vegetable soup for lunch and some light snack and fruits at night. I think I have lost like 15 pounds in just a few days. I try not to have more than 2 bms a day but I have not always been successful. My daughter's birthday is this Saturday and we will have a lot of people over but I don't know if I will be able to manage or act normal. I hope things improve. Hang in there guys.

• Posted

Thanks Nancy, I really appreciate that you took the time to share your experience!
    • Posted

I had the smallest of bm today day 3 post-op. I've just been lounging and sleeping since I got home from surgery. I've only really eaten fruits and veggies with a little meat in between. Pain isn't too bad as it's more of an annoyance with the weird muscle spasms. Other than that,, I'm trying to per, but the spasms make it difficult. Well, I'm gonna cover up bow as I'm cold. Good luck with ya booty.

• Posted

Today is one week post op. I can feel a slight improvement in pain levels in between bms. Some of the stitches came out during last nights bm and I bled quite a bit afterwords. I have a sitzbath but I find sitting on it after a bm is very painful and instead just lay down in the tub with water as hot as I can tolerate and epsom salts. That definitely helps with the pain. I am now less often taking pain killers. In fact, I managed to sleep all the way through the night last night without waking in in pain, which is a first. However, I had some seriously hard stool with my first bm this morning and that hurt so much , which I don't know why if I eat a minimal , liquid diet and use a stool softener. I hope for a speedy recovery for all of us.

Howeveer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.