Insomnia

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

I’m new here - although been hovering reading a lot of information about Citralopram.  

I’ve been on it 5 weeks at 10mg.   I have the worst insomnia.  I have been prescribed Zopiclone which I try not to take.  I was going to take one tonight but dropped off and woke too late to take it.   

My insomnia is waking in the night after a couple of hours sleep and then awake for hours.  

It’s awful.  I feel trapped on the drug now and I have a review with GP on Thursday.   

Do I increase the dose or stick with it? 

I’m so worried that the insomnia won’t improve.  

I have seen benefits day to day - I can now function whereas I couldn’t a when I went to the GP to get something. 

It’s just the insomnia that’s my issue.  

Help, advice and encouragement needed please!  

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Morning guys.   I took Zopiclone last night.  My sleep was still broken but I think I slept from 8.30 ish to 11.30.  I took a second Zopiclone and think I dropped off again until 1am.   Then awake for about 1.5 hours.  Then slept until about 5am.    So that’s 6-7 hours in total.   I will practice my deep relaxation again today as that helps.   School run to do too - which is a walk.  

I have woken up very shaky this morning.  So just accepting that and I’m sure it will pass.   I’ll keep you posted.   

• Posted

Hi, I’ve woken up at 3 and 5 and got up at 6. Feeling panicky this morning but it’s  my first day back at work. Just desperate for the citalopram to take this away.x
    • Posted

It will you will get there x good luck at work and im sure you will get on fine x if you need time out then take it x
    • Posted

You will feel shaky some days it will pass breath through the panicky bits x you will get there x
    • Posted

Good lick with work Gemma. As always - I find - we work ourselves up to these things and they are not as bad.  I do hope you have a good day.  Let us know later.    
  • Posted

Hi All.  Been to see GP this morning and got an increase in my Citralopram dose to 20mg from 10mg. 

Also got some more Zopiclone.   

She does believe that when my anxiety symptoms are managed then my sleep will come back.

I will keep posting.  

Hope everyone’s having a good day.  

I’m feeling more positive this afternoon.    I’m still on a journey but maybe just maybe there is a tiny little light on the horizon.   Something to aim for!!!  

• Posted

Remember folks if you eat fatty foods it does affect the Ziplocone.it will make you have broken sleep..my pharmacist made me aware of that immediately...
  • Posted

I take mirtazapine along with citalopram which helps me to sleep and I usually sleep all the way through the night.  When I first started citalopram I noticed that I would wake up earlier and struggle to go back to sleep, but it wore off after the first few weeks and I now wake up at a reasonable time as opposed to too early or too late.  The insomnia may just be an early side effect that might wear off.
    • Posted

The only thing with taking the mirtazapine with the celexa is that it causes weight gain...iam not knocking it but the weight gain within itself is anxiety all over again..
    • Posted

Yes I agree, I have noticed a weight gain since I started mirtazapine and it has caused some anxiety however before I started taking it I was experiencing severe insomnia so I don't really mind the weight gain as much.

• Posted

Morning All

Sleep last night was not too bad.   I bought an eye mask and ear plugs which I think helped.  I slept from 8.30 to 11pm.  Took a Zopiclone then slept until about 4am.   Just rested and dozed after that.  I did wake up jittery but did some meditation on my app and it passed.  

Have good day.  Thank you to everyone posting their experiences on here.  It’s good to hear them.  And also nice that your so positive.       

• Posted

Hi All.  Been a few days on my increased dose and managing it well.  I listened to Dr Claire Weekes on Audible and it was so helpful.   I slept last night without Zopiclone- I did take a Kalms night time.  I am going through the day repeating ‘stay loose and accept’!  

I’ll keep updating on my sleep.   

• Posted

I’m so glad you are doing well. Trust me the sleep will get better. I actually sleep a 4-5 hour stretch. It’s still a work in progress. Thanks for the update! 👍🏼👍🏼

Will😎

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.