Interaction between citalopram and rhodiola rose.... increase in side effects?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, have been stabilising slowly on 10mg citalopram over the last 3 weeks.

I had the bright idea of adding rhodiola to my daily pill regimen. It's a herbal supplement, an adaptogen, and it has sedating/antidepressant qualities.

I used it in conjunction successfully with cit back in 2016, but I think that was when I had stabilised on the cit at 5mg, and I didnt have any adverse effects. In fact, it really helped me through a stressful patch.

However, since I started it up 3 days ago, I've been feeling a bit worse. I've got fluey symptoms, sore throat headache, and have been feeling really tearful and a bit more agitated.

Now this could just still be the cit becoming established. But have decided to stop with the rhodiola as it's still cit early days, and perhaps the herbal supplement is somehow heightening cit side effects, especially if they both work on serotonin system.

Was just wondering if anyone else out there has taken this combo and has noticed any interaction?

Thanks lovelies. Wishing you all a good day.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Paula..  I clicked on your name and I read that your health is returning after lowering these meds.  Your health is returning but you still have 30 side effects that come and go?  I am trying to make sense of these horrible meds.  It's my son who's on this, or was on this now he's switched to Lexapro.  He is also on Zyprexa which is another horrible drug that I've wanted him off of..  Even though he's off of Celexa for about a month now, he still has the side effects that just won't go away.  

Lois actually has been my go to girl on this forum.  She's been with me pretty much ever step of the way for the last year +.  

• Posted

Lois is my go to as well, she is amazing. My story is a long one so can understand your confusion with me.
    • Posted

Hi Jojo, it can take time for the withdrawal symptoms to disappear, tell your son to hang in there, he will feel better.

The health problems that I had compared to the side effects I get now are two different things. I realise now that you read my profile, if you find my first ever post on here it will make sense. I hope your son recovers soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.