Internal Scar Tissue Is Ruining My Life!

Posted , 48 users are following.

Around 3 or 4 years ago I had my appendix removed as they thought it was inflamed, they inflated my stomach and put a camera through my belly button to see if it was and it actually was not but as a safety precaution they removed it anyway to avoid it happening, the surgery was key hole.

The surgery was a complete botch job so to speak and I was left with an organ infection and trapped air bubbles in my body. Although this caused me problems within the first couple of months it eventually settled down and I was able to start living normally again.

What hasn't improved at all however is the internal scar tissue that I have from where my appendix has been removed, I thought it would go away in time but its just getting in the way of everything I do in day to day life. Standing up and sitting down causes pain, going to the bathroom to pass urine and excrement causes pain, walking causes pain and also so does breathing, another thing that it is effecting is my relationship with my partner as pain that I get in my side when having intercourse is putting me off of doing it all together.

The doctors told me that the scar tissue may have healed and netted itself to my surrounding organs which is why I could be having this pain but its just absolutely ridiculous that I'm expected to just cope with it when it makes the simplest of things hard.

I'll be ringing my doctors within the next few days as they are currently shut so for now I hoped I could get a few answers from anyone who might know how to help, when I go to the doctors will there be anything that they can do with the scarring being internal? If there was anything they could do then I would do it, if there was some kind of surgery to cut away excess scar tissue would that be an option? (That said I know that would probably cause more scarring if such a procedure even exists)

Any help on what routes I could take would be extremely valuable to me and I welcome any help you may have to offer.

Thanks for your time,

Jess.

3 likes, 74 replies

Report / Delete

74 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Jess - I know this is an older post, but I'm having the same problems with internal scar tissue and wondered if you'd found any solution ?? How are you doing now?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi  Donna. I'm sorry to hear that you've been going through the same thing! Its absolutely awful and you cant help but feel quite helpless when it happens. I actually had surgery to remove the internal scarring 1 month ago and im fine now, I've not had any pains yet aside from my healing pains. The surgery was Adhesion Removal and was done via keyhole. I was in and out the same day. If you've had scan after scan after scan and nothing comes back I would actually try to push for this surgery being performed. Though that being said there is a risk that taking out the old scar tissue will just replace it with new scar tissue which thankfully hasn't happened to me! I hope this helped a bit! And best of luck in getting back to full health again. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Jess - so glad to hear you're doing well now - thank God for that type of surgery! My scar tissue is within my uterus and the doc is saying my only hope is to have a hysterectomy but that scares the heck out of me .......... so I'm desperately looking for some external treatment that may help break up the scar tissue ........... like deep tissue massage or acupuncture or cold laser therapy ........ I'll try anything.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Donna, the fact that your scar tissue is  in your uterus certainly makes things a lot harder doesn't it. Plus a hysterectomy is no small surgery for us women. I would try some various methods of pain relief for sure. I've had acupunture a few times for some very bad back pain and I have to say, it did wonders for me! Acupuncture is something that you have to keeo going back for, generally its a once a week thing but it really does pay off. Some acupuncture places (mine included) also do deep tissue muscle massages so it would definitely be worth a shot! 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Jess - I've started going for acupuncture every Monday along with deep heat therapy ........ so fingers crossed this works. Any other ideas - let me know. smile
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Donna, I can understand your pain ! I've had 7 back surgeries and the 7th one helped a lot ! Some years after mylast back surgery, i developed Periphial Neuropathy in my feet and toes and the cause of it is the scar tissue in my incision in my lower back ! I've tried about everything--pain clinics, injections, etc ! I have an appointment with my Neurologist this Thursday to discuss a Tens Unit !

Please do some research on Tens Units !

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Jess & Donna, I know this is an older post, but I have the same issue. I have gone through multiple lower back operations. Latest one was a yr ago. Since then numbness and pain were progressing causing muscle atrophy in along left leg. I barely can walk, pain increases after few meters of walking. It is effecting my daily live.

i have consulted many neurosurgeons, almost all say scar tissues causing it, and advised me to live with it as adhesion removal will make it even worse. 

I am just wondering whether adhesion removal surgery or acupuncture have helped you on reducing the scar tissue

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Mustafa05 - I'm so sorry to hear of your issues.... hopefully you're at least on pain meds - do they help at all?    I'm still living with my issue and now in retrospect not sure if it's scar tissue at all - doctors are stumped.   Acupuncture did not help my particular problem - but I've heard SO many success stories about acupuncture and the low back I believe is a good candidate - I would suggest you give it a try for sure.   Just ensure you find a qualified acupuncturist ........ apparently they can use lasers now instead of needles but not sure if that's as effective ...... you'd have to ask.   I know myself how difficult it is when health problems affect your daily life - it's all you can think about until it's solved !!      Take care and God bless !

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I hope that by now you have found help, but in the off chance that you have not, I wanted to suggest that you search out cold LASER therapy.  One of the things it is able to do is reach adhesions and interal scarring without surgery.  Good luck!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Edited

Hey. Im 26 years old and two years ago i had my left kidney removed with a 6lb tumour. I had ten months of intense chemotherapy. I finished chemo last year and have made a full recovery. I've been experiencing pain in my abdomen where my tumour and kidney were llocate and also in my shoulder, maybe extended nerve damage.. It feels so painful and like its tugging, to the point now where im going to see my oncologist, who told me after my last scan it was scar tissue. I am really worried and hoping it is scar tissue as it hurts more when im walking or standing, what do you think?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Lianne. I m sorry to hear that. My understanding of scar tissue is that it gets worse if you go through multiple operations in the same muscle spot. I went through 5 lower back operations..same spot. I was very normal after first operation, little scar tissue affect after second one..affect progressed after subsequent operations. I advise that you seek second and third opinions...one of which could nuesurgeon
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello Lianne. I was just reading this because I'm experiencing a sudden horrible pain and my primary care thinks it may be torn scar tissue from my recent surgery. I had a bilateral mastectomy couple weeks ago due to stage 4 breast cancer. The pain was originally just a mild ache. Then my tube from surgery was removed a couple days ago along with my pain meds. The last couple days, the mild ache turned into a very sharp constant pain after a morning of getting Easter eggs with my little ones. I know...just had surgery and shouldn't be Easter egg hunting. My primary care wants me to consult with the surgeon when Monday comes around in two days. Until then he put me back on pain meds. Which I absolutely abhor because it makes me loopy and nauseated. Just like chemo did. Not fun. I'm really hoping after the expanders are removed and the implants are placed, that the pain will be gone. Unfortunately, I'm now really worried that this will happen when I have my hysterectomy. Which I have to get because my type of cancer is genetic. Long story short, did you ever find any relief and if so, was more surgery needed? It looks like the majority of solutions I found that people received was surgery. I can't possibly do any more surgeries. This pain is so ridiculously unbearable, that I just want to be prepared if I can. Sorry that you're going through this and at such a young age. I know, from my experience, that any aches, pains, lumps, or neurological issues can be very worrisome that cancer returned. I wish you best of luck!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi to all suffering from scar tissue. I also had it and then had to have another surgery for cysts. Dr took out a lot of scar tissue also. Now 8 months later and it all came back horrible pain. I just found out about Serrapeptase, an enzyme that can help. I just started taking it, I read that I will need to take mega doses, I will be start slow and increase it. It has already helped with the pain in just a few days. Google the reviews on Amazon. It's good for many illnesses

Report / Delete Reply
    • Edited

I have pain in my left front side (belly area) that have been going on for the past 12 years or so.  I had a hysterectomy 30 years ago and the doctors say it must be adhesions from scar tissue, but they can't see it on a ultra scan.  I think I will ask my doctor to prescript a MRI to see if anything shows up.  How much of the Serrapeptase are you taking and is it still helping the pain?  I am so tired of pain everyday.  and I try to be very careful....Please reply if anyone know of sometime to help......

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up