Internal tremor feeling since shingles

Posted , 22 users are following.

Shingles started for me in July.  Still have some discomfort. More of an ache off and on. Have felt extremely tired. Having some anxiety and depression.  The biggest thing is I feel like there is electricity running through me.  Almost feels like an internal tremor.  My dr just looks at me like I’m nuts.  Wondering if anyone has had any issues I’ve had

3 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had shingles along my jaw a year ago. Since then I have had this internal tremor/electricity feeling  in my body that you are describing, on and off. Since 6 months back I have also had what feels like recurrences of the virus almost every month, with all the flu like symptoms and intense pain along my jaw, but with minor or sometimes no rash at all. I am getting quite fed up with all of this. I see that it was 6 months ago that you posted. Hade you gotten any better since then?
    • Posted

Hi Isabelle, sorry you are suffering still.  Have you talked to your GP about seeing a neurologist or have you explored some nerve medication?  I am on gabapentin which seems to be helping a bit.  
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, thanks for your reply! I have seen a neurologist and done an MRI which showed nothing abnormal. I do have a relevant update however. When googling the symptoms I have been experiencing for the last several months (fatigue, dizziness, anxiety, internal tremor, burning sensations on skin, muscle twitching etc) I have often ended up in forums where people struggling with glandular fever have described their symptoms and after effects of the virus. Especially the anxiety part is apparently very common in GF. So yesterday I suggested to my doctor that we do a test for glandular fever (monospot) and sure enough it was positive! Since I have already had GF in my teens this is a reactivation of the virus (I am now 27). Just like the shingles virus (herpes zoster), the GF virus (EBV) lays dormant in your body after the first infection and only reactivates if you have a weekend immune system. So the doctor's theory is either 1: The shingles outbreak weakened my immune system which allowed a reactivation of the EBV virus, or 2: I have a generally weak immune system which has allowed both viruses the activate. Next step is to do an immunoglobulin test to see if my immune system is up to par. 

I just wanted to let you know in case this could be the case for you (and Melanie) as well. Could be worth a test! If it's not GF in your case then it could very well just be that the nervous system reacts this way to both viruses, they are both herpesviruses after all. 

• Posted

Hi Isabelle! I have gotten a lot better but it is still lingering.  Seems that I will be doing better for a few days then it comes out of no where with some tingling, anxiety and the internal tremor.  Sad to say but I get extremely happy when I have a day when I feel very very good since there isn’t enough of them. The worst thing is no matter how extremely tired I am I can not sleep much.  Have had bad insomnia since shingles.  My Dr still just looks at me like she doesn’t get it. So glad to see people on here that can relate.  Dr is now finally sending me to a neurologist, due to all my symptoms and having insomnia.   I’m curious what the neurologist did for you or what they had to say about the shingles and all your symptoms.  It’s so hard to feel like this and between my Dr and my family thinking I’m just crazy or being a lazy baby lol. All I keep telling them is I wish this on no one.  Any feed back on your neurologist visit I would love to hear 
    • Posted

The neurologist basically just said that there is nothing that indicates any kind of neurological condition or anything wrong with my brain but also said that viral infections can sometimes cause neurological symptoms. She said it is quite common with for example EBV, herpes zoster and lyme disease so that is in a sense reassuring. I do feel that my neurological symptoms have gotten a lot better in the last couple of weeks, along with my fatigue and flu-like symptoms. Anxiety, insomnia, muscle twitching and internal tremors are gone since a couple of weeks. (But these symptoms have come and gone for me too so I can't know for sure that it will only keep improving from here on out but I am hopeful). Also, if you can get you doctor to check for mono it couldn't hurt to test. Ask for the mono spot, it only takes 3 minutes. I have been convinced all these months that my symptoms were caused by shingles just because they started after shingles. When really, the shingles only weakened my immune system so EBV was reactivated and THAT is what has been causing all of these symptoms. But like my neurologist said, a lot of viruses can affect the nervous system so it very well could just be from the shingles. Either way, I really hope and believe that you will fully recover with time!

• Posted

Hi Melanie, I hope you are feeling better.  I was wondering if your symptoms got better.   I contracted Bell’s Palsy and Shingles 5 months ago and have the same symptoms described in this discussion.   I was out of work for 2 months and now only working part time.  I did have an MRI and they found some post viral indicators.   I am still experincing PHN, fatigue and internal tremors and anxiety...but slowly getting better.  Still under a neurologist care but they really do not have an explanation for this.   Are your symptoms now resolved?  

• Posted

Hi Debbie!  While I have gotten a lot better I still have more bad days than good.  It’s gotten less and less.  I am still only working here and there.  When I do work a day it takes the life out of me and I’m down for the rest of the week.  I’m a waitress and on my feet all day.   This entire thing has been unbelievable. Dr is finally sending me to a neurologist.  With all my symptoms I also have horrible insomnia even tho I am extremely tired.   I’m curious to hear about going to a neurologist.  I’m a little scared lol.  What does the neurologist think about all the symptoms?  It really amazes me to see so many people with same kind of post symptoms and Dr’s have no idea.  
    • Posted

Hi Melanie,  I think it’s a good idea to be referred to a neurologist as they can start to rule things out. He or she can do a full blood scan to test for Lyme, Lupus etc. You may want to consider asking for them to test for Thyroid (THS) as this also has the same symptoms as we are all describing.  Also they can test for low levels of B12 which can manifest in fatigue symptoms.  What has helped me it to make sure to take my vitamins and extra B6 and B12 and exercise has helped my fatigue has improve gradually..but would recommend to get your drs approval for both of those ideas.  I started keeping a journal to track symptoms..so I can share that with my dr.   That has helped in general because I can see progres over time..even though it is slow.  Wishing you continued improvements and agree with Isabelle that you will get over this 🙂

• Posted

Melanie, what medications are you on? It's possible that could be contributing to your problems. Some like gab can cause numerous problems. Also, PHN symptoms can change in time. It sounds like you've had PHN since late summer or fall. It can take months or years for PHN to go away, if it does. Unfortunately there are no easy treatments or way out of this. Rest, some pain creams, ice or cold may help. It's a toss up as to whether a neurologist can help. Not all are familiar with PHN. Some of the meds prescribed can almost be worse than the PHN,so be careful with any diagnosis or treatment.

• Posted

Hi Debbie.  I went for my neurologist appointment and unfortunately feeling even more helpless.  She did not do anything.  We talked about my shingles and her comment was I don’t know much about shingles.  She didn’t even order blood work.  All she did was hand me a piece of paper on how to help insomnia.   Before I left I said well what about this electrical shock feeling I keep getting in my neck.   She looked puzzled and said I have no idea.  I said well my primary Dr was concerned about MS.   She then said well maybe we should do an MRI.  So atleast I got that ordered. I’m really confused and don’t know what to do now.  I thought neurologist specialize in shingles and such.   I’m so sick of seeing these Doctors with there puzzled faces.  And they don’t even attempt to order test.  
    • Posted

Neurologists specialize in conditions regarding nerves and often see people with migraines, carpal tunnel, MS, anything involving nerves. She should have at least a slight familiarity with PHN. Didn’t she inquire about neck pain? Nerve impingement could cause symptoms like that. What about an EMG? Have you had one of those? It’s a test where they check nerve conduction. Remember we are not doctors here,just people who have been through a lot and are just trying to sort it out.. from your comments it seems this related to your PHN. Are you on Gabapentin or similar meds? I can’t remember. 
    • Posted

Hi.  I’m not on any medications.  I have actually had the shock feeling in my neck for 2 years. Started before I got shingles.  The neurologist just looked at me puzzled and said she didn’t know what that could be and just dismissed it.  I said to her well my pcp was concerned and thought it to be a sign of MS. She then said I guess I could order an mri.  Just strange to me she has not a clue about that nor shingles.  Then I was shocked she didn’t even order blood work.  I thought I was getting somewhere going to see a neurologist but feeling more helpless with it all.  Other than the shock feeling in my neck I’m sure all my other symptoms are related to shingles.  It’s just frustrating when doctors look at you puzzled but still don’t do anything to find out the cause.  Never had a EMG.  
    • Posted

I think your problem and the way you're describing your symptoms MAY sound like a PHN issue, but if it developed years before, that's unlikely. I do NOT want to try and diagnose an issue, I am not a doctor. Got it? But I worked as a medical secretary for 30 years, both in Xray and in and ER so I've learned how confusing the medical world is to others. It can be hard to clearly state to a doctor what the problem is, when it started, what causes the problem or pain and how it feels. They have limited time and try their best. Many people with PHN do get electric-like shooting pain, I've personally never had that or if I did, I never described it like that. Right now you're in a forum regarding "internal tremor feelings" in the shingles group, so it was logical for people to think that it's related to shingles.

I want to throw out ideas and questions here. Did your GP think it could be a neck issue like a pinched nerve? Have you had an xray, CT or MRI of that area? If a neurologist orders an MRI, it would likely be of the brain, not the anatomy of the neck, those are two different areas. Have you seen an orthopedic doctor regarding this problem? If you've had negative (meaning there was no problem)  diagnostic imaging, then it could be something else.It's also unlikely lab work would show something with the symptoms you describe. If you see a doctor, try and explain what type of pain it is, does it tingle, do the feelings last a few seconds or just briefly, is there numbness in any extremities, did it follow an injury or accident etc? None of this may pertain to you, and I apologize if I'm sounding bossy, but I've more familiar with navigating healthcare than many and I'm trying to help.

Years ago, a neighbor's wife, who we later realized had some dementia, spent several hours in the ER with extensive testing as she "had trouble breathing". It turns out she was unable to clearly explain that her nose was stuffy, so they assumed it was cardiac or lung related. The family didn't know how to ask the questions which would give a clearer picture. You'd think the medical staff would have, but if they hear "trouble breathing", they spring to action thinking this could be serious and/or life-threatening.

If you ever have more questions or feel like you weren't getting what you need from a doctor, just ask. Remember, you (or your insurance) is paying them for help and they want to help. Don't feel uncomfortable or rushed.

• Posted

Hi.  Sorry for confusion lol.  I explained all of my symptoms to the neurologist including the internal tremor I feel.  She looked puzzled and said she did not know much about shingles.  That’s what also brought me to explain this shock in my neck that isn’t related to my shingles.  I was just explaining that no matter what I brought up to her she said I have no idea, and didn’t order any test to find out.  I was told by many and an article what to expect from a neurologist appointment that they would want to do lab work to rule out issues including any deficiencies. It’s very frustrating when you are told I have no idea and nothing is done.  I would have liked to hear well let’s find out and rule stuff out and then blame the shingles.  I’m going to research the other doctors in office and see what I come up with I guess.  I’m lost 
    • Posted

Hi Melanie, sorry to hear you are not getting answers.  Good that you are getting the MRI but interesting they did not do the much less expensive blood tests.   

I do have an appt with my ENT later this week and back to my GP next week and will share anything I find with related to the shingles symptoms.  

Also, I spoke with a very helpful nurse today at my neurologist office and she did refer me back to my GP about the shingles.   She clarified the neuology specialty a bit more for me.. my neurologist is treating me for the PHN only.   

Will pass any helpful thoughts next week.  Feel better

• Posted

Hi Melanie, I had internal shingles in 2014 - and believe it or not, I've now contracted it for a second time! My symptoms were/are much the same as yours, but the tremors never went away. I have been to the neurologist and went through all the tests - scans, blood work, etc. - to exclude the possibility of MS and Parkinson's. He prescribed Lerica for the PHN, which I used for about 6 months after the 1st bout of shingles. The downside of this treatment is a constant chemical drowsiness and exacerbated my inability to concentrate. For the tremors he prescribed a beta-blocker (Purbloka or Inderal) which I  am still using as a chronic medication. Since the symtoms is familiar to me, I was able to catch the present shingles early and the doctor prescribed a 7 day course of Anviro 500 tablets (valaciclovir). Hopefully this treatment will be successful and my recovery time shorter...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.