Internal tremor feeling since shingles

Posted , 22 users are following.

Shingles started for me in July.  Still have some discomfort. More of an ache off and on. Have felt extremely tired. Having some anxiety and depression.  The biggest thing is I feel like there is electricity running through me.  Almost feels like an internal tremor.  My dr just looks at me like I’m nuts.  Wondering if anyone has had any issues I’ve had

3 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The elrectrcity is normal because our nerves are messed up. Yes we actually feel the impulses now that we have PHN. It’s horrible we know.

i have it since 2012..who knows when it will go away. But isn’t your electricity where you originally had the breakout.

mine is in my head

• Posted

Can’t really explain where it is.   Just inside my body. Funny you mentioned the head.  My shingles was located on my right back near shoulder blade.  But when I was about 3 months into having shingles I had very weird things happen.  I went to lay my head on my pillow and when I did it felt as if someone had grabbed a hold of my head and was holding it down. I forced my head up and had strange sensations in the head.  Which lasted on and off for months.  No doubt in my mind it was from shingles. So no matter where it’s located seems like it just affects nerves in general 
  • Posted

I’ve had that same feeling especially in my ear on the side that I have the shingles yes a very anxiety prone feeling for sure I just try to meditate and pray through it on my third week of this crap really hard to sleep the middle of the night is the worst time for me I do use aloe vera Aspercreme with light Okane an ice pack seem to help the most I take extra strength Tylenol that gives me a little relief I don’t want to go on to any strong Narcotics certainly hope you feel better soon
  • Posted

If your Doctor isn’t listening then get a new ya doctor! So sorry..Ask friends what doc they live and find one that cares and listens...u don’t need added stress,hope u feel better soon✝️
  • Posted

Hi Melanie, hope you are feeling better.  I finally figured out what the internal trembling is about for me.   My GP said it was adrenaline and they have put me on Cymbalta to help with the nerve pain and the anxiety that was brought on by the Bell’s Palsy and Shingles.   I just wanted to share the finding.   I am feeling a lot better and hope you have got things figured out as well

• Posted

Hi debbie.  Thanks for sharing.  How did they come to that diagnosis about adrenaline? I’ve always thought that’s what it feels like. 
    • Posted

Something about my illness brought on a chemical imbalance (cortisol) ..that’s all I know.  
    • Posted

H Debbie, I was wondering if the cymbalta took care of your internal vibrations? My doctor thinks this virus is giving me anxiety and wants me to start cymbalta. I've never been on anti depressants and Im finding it hard to start .... been vibrating internally 16 months now.... I hope this awful symptom is over for you.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Vicky, so sorry you have been feeling this for so long. I have been on Cymbalta since June of last year and it helped quite a bit managing cortesol and nerve pain. My Dr has ordered it for 18 months and had to work with the dosage.. I started with very low dosage and increased until the symptoms got better. But overall, I feel a lot better. I still have tremors on occasion but its manageable now.I had a hard time too with going on anti anxiety medication but in the end it was the right decision for me. Sometimes your body needs help healing. Sending prayers.

• Posted

Hi Debbie, thank you so much for the reply. Im happy this worked for you overall and that your symptoms have dialed down. My internal vibrations started after a flu type virus. I got a small burning rash at the same time that was never seen by a doctor as it went away in a week, so they assume it may have been shingles. Im much better now, the physical anxiety is definitely gone, however this vibrating thing seems to insist while Im sleeping as I wake up with it every morning and I dont feel it during the day.

My rheumatologist wants me to start with 30mg for a week and go to 60mg after that and believes that my vibrations will be gone in a couple of months. Its just so hard to believe,, but I guess anxiety can do all sorts of things to your body. Did you notice any side effects?Thanks for sharing your experience, I guess I will give it a try , it seems our bodies do need some help healing in the end xxx

• Posted

Hi Vicky, I am on 30mg right now and that is considered a low dose. I understand that 60 is the norm. As far as side-effects, primarily the basic stuff found on the perscription. Tiredness is the main one that didn't go away even after a year but once you get up moving its ok.

It did take 1 week to where I felt alot better and then 2 to 3 months to where my body adjusted to the medication. stay patient with it .

Hope you feel better.

• Posted

Thank you so much for this information! I had a mild case of shingles in 2018. It was caught early and treated with antibiotics. For the past couple of weeks, I have been having itching om my neck and scalp. Now my hands are tingling. This morning it popped into my head that this might be a return of the shingles and that shingles might explain the internal tremor or electrical feeling I have had for uncounted months.

I have a prescription for cymbalta for the little neuralgias and anxiety that is present for no unmanageable externally presenting reason. I have been hesitant to take medication. Surely I can find a natural way for my body to self-correct! Maybe there is, but I haven't found it. Maybe my patient, competent nurse practitioner is right. Thanks to you sharing your experience, I think she is right for reasons she may not even be aware of and I can make a more informed choice to risk it .

• Posted

Hi Melanie,

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if your internal vibration is gone? I was never diagnosed with shingles, but my internal tremors vibrations started a year ago after a flu type virus. At the same time I got a burning itchy rash under my right breast but I never thought it could be shingles and never went to the doctor as it went away in a week. Thats when all this started, page full of symptoms but this feeling of electricity running through me insists 12 months now....it has surely dialed down but still there, every single night... so many tests, doctors and no answers..... thank you!

• Posted

Hi VickyI still have the internal vibrations, it has become less, but definitely not gone. i have been to several doctors and have gotten nowhere with an answer still. Ive had to just chalk it up to thinking its nerve damage done from the shingles, but it would be nice if any doctor out there would at least say that instead of looking at me puzzled. Just like you i also had the flu before all this started. im not the same person i was 2 years ago and it saddens me. I live for the days that i actually feel really good and just learn to deal with the bad days. Doesnt make any sense

• Posted

Hi Melanie, my shingles started 5 weeks ago- the pain in the side of my chest was excruciating and woke me up. Few days later the rash came, spreading from my back, around under my arm and onto my nipple. The GP gave me antivirals, so the rash wasn't too bad but the pain is indescribable! The only way to explain it, is like permanent cramp in the side of my chest and back, or like someone is trying to pull something out of my chest. Fortunately its not waking me on a night time any more, and i think it's gradually going- I'm now getting electric like ripple sensations, which i can only assume are the nerves healing. I have no energy,what a truly debilitating illness!

• Posted

Hi Melanie,

Just saw your reply, thank you so much.You just put my thoughts in words, I am sorry you are going through this, its a terrible symptom and I can so relate. I never could have imagined that my life would change overnight. I never got sick before this, and just like that, I woke up with so many symptoms. It started with heart palpitations and fluttering which lead to anxiety which I never had before and a full blown panic attack that came out of the blue. Within a week I had strong internal tremors/vibrations, lightheadedness all day, weird buzzing sensations in my head, tingling/burning/crawling sensations on skin, stiff neck and joints, shooting pain here and there, numb fingers, inner elbow/knee joint pain, pain in wrists/fingers, ringing ears, shooting pain on the side of my neck,muscle twitching and more. I thought I was dying. I saw so many doctors who just put it down to anxiety or hormones and just gave anti anxiety meds which I never touched. I was even told that it could be just hormones and all this is my body adjusting to perimenopause ( Im 46) .

I finally found some relief at month 7 when the 4th neurologist saw my brain mri and after examining the brain lesions that showed up and ruled out MS, he asked if I ever had chicken pox and if I recalled any rash when this all started. Thats when I made the connection that this could be shingles. He put me on vit b12 injections as it was very low ( the only thing found) and I slowly started to feel like me again. All symptoms have dialed down a lot, some are gone completely, but the internal vibration is there, daily, I wake up with an electric toothbrush running in my body and I want it gone.

The worst for me is not knowing what is causing it, doctors haven't helped at all and I cant stop thinking that they are missing something that is left untreated! So sorry for the long post but I feel I'm the only one in my country going through this, its so difficult for everyone to understand it and I feel so lost with all this! My last hope is an Infectious disease doctor I'm planning to see soon, Ive seen all the rest...it seems this flu triggered something that was left untreated..I don't know.

Lets hope that its just a matter of time and that it will suddenly stop as suddenly as it started...

Wishing you all the best, I will let you know if I have answers.

U can always pm me if you ever want to vent, you are not alone...

• Posted

What a nice offer to Melanie! DITTO! PM me if needed. This post really helped me when I was searching for my symptoms on the web and stumbled across this.. it was helpful in knowing there were others having the same symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.