Internal vibration sensation - caused by stress??

Posted , 91 users are following.

I've found several forums where there have been posts from people experiencing this disconcerting feeling of an internal quivering or vibration but none of them are current, so I wanted to see if anyone else out there is having the same experience and can share an insight into what might be causing it.

I started to get this feeling of internal vibration when I was mainly lying in bed and then occasionally if I shifted position it might last for 30 seconds or so before disappearing. That was about 8 months ago. Now I feel it every night and during the day as well quite often. The other day after a short walk of a few hundred yards followed by a period of standing still it felt like the ground was vibrating  because it was in my feet. It seems to move around to different areas of the body - sometimes I feel it in my legs, an arm, torso - it's quite random but often felt when I've shifted position in bed. At first I thought it was circulatory but now I think it's probably neurological. I thought I was having palpitations but an ECG showed nothing abnormal. I've also had a full spine & brain MRI as I've been having other strange symptoms of occasional numbness and sensations of burning and cold areas of my arms/hands and legs/feet and a sore tongue which comes and goes and often feels like I've just cleaned my teeth with menthol toothpaste when I haven't. I thought I had all the signs of MS, but it hasn't been diagnosed. I've also had a number of blood tests for immune issues, evoked potentials and nerve conductivity tests. Nothing! The MRI does show a lot of wear to my cervical vertebrae and two anterior spondylolisthesis - one cervical, one lumbar, so I wonder if my spinal issues could be the cause. My neurologist was doubtful. He also couldn't explain the vibration sensation except to say that it can be caused by a migraine, which I certainly haven't had. 

I just don't know where to go with this now.  My GP isn't interested and puts everything down to stress which I AM under it's certainly true to say, but I don't think she's right. I've had to pay for all my neuro investigations as a result because she won't refer me or do any more blood tests etc.  I'm trying homeopathy, osteopathy and acupuncture as I want to find something that will relieve these weird symptoms and prefer to avoid drugs if I can.

I'm 58, eat reasonably heathily, no alcohol, only 1 cup of coffee a day and my weight is normal. I broke my wrist badly at the end of August last year which is when my problems all seemed to start. i

I also wonder if the metal plate that was used to fix the fracture could be causing some kind of strange reaction.

If anyone else is having these symptoms please let me know if you've been able to identify the cause and how to deal with it. 

7 likes, 240 replies

240 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow I thought I was the only one who felt that. It's horrible I hope all my tests come back normal

• Posted

I don't have that, but have read many posts here from people who have. This seems to be one of the symptoms of anxiety.

When most of us get on anti anxiety meds (even if only for a while) we begin to get some relief and get calm enough to find ways we can help ourselves deal with this. That's how I found this forum. Lots of help and good advice here, girl.  Hugs, Sally

• Posted

Yes. Not necessarily in the same location either. i know other people who have the same sensations with no anxiety issues. I think its just sime strange body thing. I ignore and wait for it to just go away to be honest. It is strange though. Im on ne meds so its not a side effect either.
    • Posted

That just led me to google that. Mhm. Seems a ton of people talk about it. The way more technical sites talk it about doesnt even match up with the actual people talking about it.  Have you tried taking some sub lingual b12 or ask you homeopathic doctor for a b12 injection. It is noted as a connection to that. Maybe that why i never gave it thought i get injections for that. i just kind of think the body does weird stuff for whatever reason too. I think this is actually extremly common thing after zipping around the internet. I dont  think it is an anxiety thing exclusive.
  • Posted

I haven't had the vibration symptoms, but have seen others post about it. However, I do get the hot/cold hands and feet, also some numbness and tingling. Many times it feels like the tip of my tongue has been burned, and will sometimes last for days.

It's a shame that your doctor won't refer you, and you're stuck paying out of pocket for all of the expensive tests.

Everyone would like to avoid taking medication for anxiety, but sometimes that does more harm than good. Medication isn't a life sentence, but it's a tool that can be used to help get you over this rough patch. I hope you find some help very soon, and the symptoms go away.

• Edited

Since you've not said anything about feeling anxious,or over whelmed, I guess it's not anxiety. When you have anxiety,you feel that and everything else times 10. Hopefully since nothing was found so far with the tests you've had, maybe it will pass. I'm 57 and everyday,there is a new ache or pain. I can imagine what you are going through,it's disconcerting. Oh life,always something going on with our bodies. I hope this goes away for you. 

• Posted

Sally I have neuropathy and oh boy it causes just what you mentioned I have to work. would love to talk more when i had ear balance and inner ear. I also had these .the ground vibrated. is it a nerve in the body quivering? wanted to ask that. will read again later. hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.