Into my first week on roaccutane ...

Posted , 43 users are following.

I'm going into my second week tomorrow on roaccutane. My face is red and tight/dry (also abit painful and itchy). Is this normal ?

0 likes, 172 replies

172 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes entirely normal! You need to use a moisturiser including a lip balm and don't go on sun beds or out in the sun as it'll get worse and more dry. If you do, use a high factor sun block. Don't exfoliate or use any skin treatments. 
  • Posted

My son has just done his first two weeks on 30mg and his face and back have improved already.  Were warned about the dryness so we were well prepared. He washes his face with e45 cleanser and moisturises during day with simple moisturiser with a factor 30 in it and at night he uses snail cream and also lip balm all the time so he hasn't got sore yet. What dose have you started on? He is incredibly thirsty all the time but this is normal too.
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies! I'm on 20mg a day. My skin has improved massively already so I'm happy smile just these dry lips and face etc that's difficult but I was warned to be fair
  • Posted

Also I have been using carmex for my lips but it's not that good! Can any of you recommend a good lip moisturiser ? I'm also using simple light moisturiser too but think I need to change that too x
    • Posted

Hi Sam, I'm also in the early stages of taking Roaccutane, its day 14 on saturday and I'm on 70mg!! I've heard that Dr. Dan's Cortibalm is meant to be great for lips and also aquaphor, i haven't tried these yet but tried blistex relief cream, carmex and nivea, but my lips are so so sore I'm going on the hunt for these products. I'm also using simples light moisturiser but very sparingly, as the general consensus is to not overload on heavy moisturisers as the plan is to get rid of the grease in the pores so as the roaccutane is working on that you dont want to be filling the pores back up. Hope this helps x
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Emma. I tried searching for dans cortibalm but not sure they do it in the UK. I've now changed my face moisturiser to cetaphil and that stuff is amazing u should try it. It's non comedogenic so it won't block pores etc. The simple brand moisturiser wasn't helping me and I'm now using Burt's bees lip balm which is great too. Wow 70mg is a lot don't know how you're coping with that lol. Has your face become any clearer at all? X
    • Posted

Hi Sam, my face in places now looks like porcelain and my shoulders are getting clearer, but as expected I have had some massive, and very painful spots, but they seem to dry up a hell of a lot quicker. I do seem to be on a high dose compared to many others but I don't feel like I'm suffering too badly, my lips are very very sore at the moment and one corner of my mouth, I had a massive nose bleed yesterday (1st one in 32yrs) before this I've just had crusty nose and dried blood up there, my eyes feel a little dry, my scalps a little flakey and i have a rather itchy patch on one arm which seems quite random. How are you finding it so far? x
    • Posted

Wow bloody hell u seem to be suffering! I've got really dry eyes but not sure if that's down to tiredness with having a 2 year old! I haven't had any new spots since taking roaccutane and my face is nearly clear already. Hoping it's not just a phase lol x
    • Posted

Also my blackheads seem to be getting pushed out which is strange! But I'm not complaining haha. How long are you on the medication for as I've not been told x?
    • Posted

I haven't been told either, I think they just play it by how you're responding to the treatment maybe. I did expect to feel a lot worse given all the stories behing the medication etc but i did my research before hand, I think the worst part of it is my lips :-( I genuinely did not expect them to be so dry and cracked, I can see how younger people can get down and depressed when taking it as I feel I look a mess, bright red, cracked and peeling lips and big red spots with flaking skin lol, such a great look, keep telling myself it will be worth it. I go back in about a fortnight for checking over, I'm hoping they dont increase my doseage as i seem to be on a whopping dose already, which hospital are you under? x
    • Posted

Well my lips are actually getting worse with the cracks and burning sensation sad I might buy aquaphor lip repair cream which is suppose to be good! My face is bright red without make up and I'm finding applying make up is really hard due to my dry skin. I'm at manchester royal infirmary Hun wat about u? X
    • Posted

My lips are an absolute mess, I've ordered the aquaphor online but also bought the eucerin intensive lip balm today, it's the same make as aquaphor and I've plastered it on 4 times so far and it seems to make a difference, got that in boots when I went for the cetaphil moisturiser, figured it was worth a try since a lot say it's very good, I'm hoping to mix it with makeup too as I'm also finding it a bit difficult. You're not far from me then hun, I live in Huddersfield but my derm is at yorkshire clinic in bingley. Can I ask how old you are? x
    • Posted

I'm 24 wbu? Well I mixed it with my make up the other day and it was really hard to blend in and also throughout the day it all slid off my face. I don't think it's a good base for make up personally but it might suit u. I've got a constant runny nose too. Weird because I thought it dried your nose? And I ended up buying eye drops because of the dryness. I now know how hard it is being on roaccurane lol! I can handle everything else but the lips are driving me insaneeeeee!! X
    • Posted

Hiya Sam, hope you're doing ok? Day 14 yest and next appt is 2 wk tomorrow :-) no new symptoms but the eucerin lip stuff is brilliant so I'm hoping the aquaphor is even more so!!! I'm using viscotears for my eyes or lubrithal, basically just artificial tears and you can put them in as many times as you want. The cetaphil seems to have helped a little and agreed it doesn't blend well with make up which is a bummer. Btw I'm 32 x
  • Posted

Hi . I recently started taking Arynoin 40 mg capsules per day . I am asked to report them in a 4 week period. I am glad to see leople respomding well to oral retinoids and supporting each other. Count me in too . I took my ist dose today.. I hope it goes all well .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.