Into my first week on roaccutane ...

Posted , 43 users are following.

I'm going into my second week tomorrow on roaccutane. My face is red and tight/dry (also abit painful and itchy). Is this normal ?

0 likes, 172 replies

172 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Can please any body tell me if there are any Bowel upset associated with it ? I am bit anxious . Being aware of all side effects still hoping to clear my facial acne ..
  • Posted

Hi, I've been on isotretinion, which is the new a Accutane for 2 months. I had a.bright red burning face for two weeks at the beginning. I'm on 40mg. I was ssupposed to go up to 60mg in January.but my skin was so dry on my hands and forearms, and a seriously itchy back. I asked to stay on a lower dose . tomorrow is my next appt but I'm still not wanting to increase dose because my joints are aching all the time . I'm getting some ( I think ) kidney pain. gonna ask tomorrow. but other than that I'm feeling ok. my face is not as red, it looks good. I had a major spot break out at the beginning, but it healed super quick. I use nivea hydrolip balm and use Vaseline a lot. if any of u have a question please ask. it's nice to find others on the same med. p.s... I'm 34 just in case ur wondering . Donna
    • Posted

Hi Donna :-) nice to hear from another fellow sufferer! It was my 14th day yesterday on 70mg, I'm 32 and suffered with my skin since I was 13 and I finally see some improvement through the bright red sores post spot breakout. Can I ask..... Does the cracked lips get any better the longer you're on pills or pretty much stay same? I can cope with the nose bleeds and crusty nose which I'm getting but the lips are driving me insane, bought aquaphor which comes recommended from others but it hasn't come in post yet. x
    • Posted

No. the.more I talk i find the worse it is. I have different lip balms all around the house so I have one at hand. at night I use balm then a thick layer of Vaseline. after.brushing teeth I find they are drier so I put out on thick. I drink lots. r u making sure ur drinking plenty? I think that if my lips r dry what's my insides like, kidney/ liver etc. so I drink herbal tea/ weak squash and try to stay away from to much caffeine. Soz for poor predictive spelling.
  • Posted

Sorry for the late reply been mad busy. I've had a breakout and it's horrible! Knew it was too good to be true for me not to get an early breakout lol. My lips are getting so much worse but it's just the bottom lip! How's your skin now Donna ? And how long are you on treatment ? How are you doing Emma x
    • Posted

My skin is looking lovely to b honest. I'm smiling more, my hair isn't so greasy. I had a terrible breakout within the first two weeks then It dried out quick. I do now and again have dry flaky skin on my face but now my face isn't shiny all the time, I can moisturise morning and night. I think that's helped tremendously. I have been onit for 2 months. have 2 more to go. the doc kept me on 40mg for this third month. My only complaint on this drug is the aches and pains , but I've always had back problems/ sciatica cous i have a
    • Posted

Soz about that.... I have a disabled child so lift and shifting all the time .

Donna

• Posted

Hiya Sam, doing ok thanks, the eucerin and eucerin aquaphor are a god send for my lips, just need to apply as many times as possible, they got to a point of bleeding they were cracked so much, I do spend a lot of time outside tho as I have a horse and that doesn't help as I forget my lip salve and it's been v cold n windy so going to try have some in every coat/ bag etc my bright red raw blemishes seem to be going down but in turn my skins getting dryer, I must admit I did dab a bit of sudocream on the v sore spots which did help. Hope you're getting on ok? x
    • Posted

Yeah I'm getting on ok. Had a breakout but they're drying up pretty fast and my blackheads seem to feel like sand. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing ? Like the skin is really rough over the blackheads but I have noticed that my make up isn't sliding off my face through the middle of the day which I'm buzzing about smile x
  • Posted

Hi, I'm sorry to jump on the post.. I have my initial dermatology appointment next week, and am hoping to be started on roaccutane.  Have had years of cycling different antibiotics/topicals so my GP thinks it's likely to be the next step.  I just wondered how long it tends to take between your first appointment and it being prescribed? I know I'll need bloods and pregnancy tests etc. but a rough time scale would be great smile  

I hope you're all getting on okay, will be really useful to follow your stories as I (hopefully) start it!

• Posted

Hi Charlie. I had my appointment then 20 mins later had my bloods done then picked my prescription up the next day! But I know it's different for different hospitals. Which hosp u at?
    • Posted

I'll be at the Royal Hallamshire in Sheffield, that sounds great so fingers crossed!  If you don't mind me asking, did they insist you were on a contraceptive pill?  I have had problems with migraines in the past and have never got on very well with the pills I've tried so hoping it won't be an issue.  Feel free to tell me to bugger off being nosy!
    • Posted

No don't be daft lol! Well I was on the pill Yasmin and came off it before my appointment about a month before because of headaches and when the dermatologist wanted to put me on roaccutane I just told her I was on the pill even though I wasn't rolleyes so they will ask you x
    • Posted

lol that made me chuckle!  I'll have a think about it and devise a plan before I go.. Trying to resist the urge to go and buy loads of dry skin related stuff until I know I'll actually be on it.. Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated 
    • Posted

I'd recommend buying after so u know what to buy etc. No worries any questions feel free smile
    • Posted

Hiya , it took 3 months for me. I'm in south Wales. I had to say I was using two formsof contraception, but I don't take any pill. I lied to them because i get migraines often and the pill isn't good for them. So i lied lol.
    • Posted

Hi Charlie, it was 1/2 hr for me, I went to yorkshire clinic in bingley saw the derm, sent me for bloods and preg test, told me I wasn't pregnant, picked up pills and started them that eve :-) I have to say the worst parts for me ( day 17 on 70mg ) have been the dry lips and the red raw blemishes that broke out about 10 days in, I'd read about the possible nose bleeds but didn't realise that involved extreme dry, crispy, bloody bogies too ( apologies for being crude ) but positives, my pores have shrunk already, the multiple tiny pimples under my skin have mostly gone, blackheads clearing and I have dry skin for the first time in 32 years, not a greasy patch in site! As for the contraception part, I am on the pill but the doc didn't stress to double up ( ie barrier ) too, they just stress how harmful it is to the baby if you do get pregnant, hope you get on well with the appt and if you need anything just shout x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.