Into my first week on roaccutane ...

Posted , 43 users are following.

I'm going into my second week tomorrow on roaccutane. My face is red and tight/dry (also abit painful and itchy). Is this normal ?

0 likes, 172 replies

172 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey, I've just started accutane on a 20mg dose, very worried about the side effects, day 5 and no side effects... Yet,how long did you guys start to see side effects and how long before visible results? I'm also worried about my eyes becoming dry, is this a common side effect?
    • Posted

I started to see side effects after about a week and I have had dry eyes for a few days at the start but none since luckily. I have really dry peeling skin on my nose and at the side of my mouth and it's so annoying but I use Eucerin aquaphor sooyhinh balm and it's amazing. My lips are really dry too so I put that balm on my lips too. I have also come out in dermatitis on my hands which is painful and inflamed but I've been taking anti histamines and I also rub that balm on my hands and it's nearly gone now. I'm still on 20mg a day. I've got another follow up in 2 weeks so not sure if they are gunna increase my dosage or not. My skin is nearly clear tho. I'd say I have 2 spots on my face which have come today which is annoying but nout compared to a full face of acne! Good luck and any questions I'm here x
    • Posted

Soothing balm * sorry I phone spell check !
    • Posted

Hey Ollie, I'm now 7 week in and have been on 70mg from day one, think my side effects kicked in about day 4 now 7 week in you kinda get used to them, if you scroll thru this thread there is a list of what myself and Sam have come across on our journey, I know you said your worried about dry eyes, to be honest mine haven't been that bad, I put drops in before bed and often on a morn but they only feel like very tired eyes, the worst bit for me has been lips, no one prepared me for how bad that side effect has been, if I can help at all just pm me or post on here :-) Emma
    • Posted

Hey Ollie ive just also started.

..now on my second day and no side effects so far

• Posted

Thanks guys, very helpful, the only thing which is concerning is the side effects are differant for differant people, Im on 20mg then moving up to 40mg on the second week, because of my age(17) I'm worried about what girls will think lol, it's just embarrassing, Dry lips I feel I can live with, I don't think I will start feeling or get too flakey as I naturally have very oily skin, how soon did you start seeing results, I'm off school for nearly 3 weeks and been on them for 5 days... Do you think I will have noticable results by then, thanks again guys ☺️ X
    • Posted

I think if you're off school for 3 wk that may be the worse of it over! I noticed a difference after 1-2 wk I had naturally oily skin too, you can say goodbye to that which shocked me, as I've never had a dry patch in my life! Like you say tho everyone is different, I found the first 2 wk hard as my face broke out and I had massive red dry patches but they soon pass and the creams Sams mentioned are a god send :-)
    • Posted

Almost near my second week on ruacatane, no dryness, no red patches, lips are fine but take into account I'm moisturising and using casaline and E45... Think I may be lucky....touch wood and have mild side effects
  • Posted

First week in... No side effects... Yet, lips feel weird/ started to peel Abit once after shower and my spots went red and came really red/white on the 4th 5th day and starting to sooth normal. I am using E45 and amazing moisturiser with buts beez and Vaseline. This is why my skin isn't flaking yet(I like to belive) obviously my skin may change when I go up to 40 mg, hopefully not a lot or my skin doesn't go bad in the second week 😨
  • Posted

Almost on my 2nd week of accutane now, skin feels fine, lips feel fine, still moisturising just incase wink
    • Posted

It sounds like you're having good results then Ollie, how do you feel in yourself? Have you noticed a difference yet? I'm 8 wk in today and had my check up this morning, all good, skin improved but still some room for progress, still on 70mg a day, crispy lips and sore inside my nose but other side effects seem to have dwindled away :-) just a point to think about ..... E45 is quite a greasy moisturiser to put on your face, my derm said to me to try avoid if possible as the idea is to get rid of oil and grease in your pores, cetaphil is a good one as it's non comedogenic ( ie doesn't block pores ) anyway, glad you're doing well :-)
    • Posted

Wow, why 70? I'm a heavy guy (90kg) and wouldn't expect to go to 70...? My only concern is that if I haven't have many side effects.... That the drug Isnt working as effectively as it should... My first week my 'scars/marks' came out into actual big red spots, which shows that they are working to some extent. Okay, thank you, I'll just clarify with my derm but I'll definatley keep cetaphil in mind smile almost 2 weeks in and I can't notice any results... I am moving up to 40mg now so maybe side effects will get worse. Has the transformation big hugely significant?
  • Posted

Hia. Im into my third week on roaccutane and this forum has been such a comfort to me - thank you everyone! Knowing others are going through - or have been through the same and that you can share your worries here is taking the edge of the nasty side affects! Im having a horrific break out at the moment - i even phoned in sick in work today, i just couldnt face anyone. How long does the horrible first break out stage last? My dermatolist said that it should clear up in about a week. Is this true? M
    • Posted

Hi there! Yeah your breakout will start to heal a lot more quicker now that you're on roaccutane! I'm going into my 4th month and I honestly can't wait to finish the course!! The dry lips are driving me insane but the dry skin is so bad that I'm suffering with. I've got all red itchy rashes All over and it burns sad it clears up then comes bk a few days later. I was hoping that I wouldn't get the dermatitis symptom but I have and it's the worst symptom I've had up to now. Hope you're ok x
    • Posted

Do you have any other symptoms?
    • Posted

And yeah my breakout cleared within a few days but everyone's different! My acne isn't cystic but it's persistent (well was) so depends really on your acne type and severity.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply sam. As I said, being able to share and ask for advice on here has helped so much. Ive had dry skin and lips and a lovely crusty nose (sooo attractive!) but the worse so far is the break out. I havent been out of the house since friday night - I'm sure id scare children if i did. Im on a moderate dose of 30mg but my dermatoligist told me to drop to 20mg if break out contines this badly. I know I have to keep going but as you know - its ruddy hard isnt it?

Im sorry to hear your dry skin is painful. How long have you got until you stop taking this nasty little tablet? (though it will hopefully make us all happier and clearasil free forever!) Do you feel its been worth it? If you could go back in time would you choose to take it? M x

• Posted

I'm on 20mg and have been through out. My derm told me that she can't increase my dose bcoz of the dermititus but I'm happy to stay on the 20mg anyway! I've got my follow up appointment on wed to get my 4th month prescribed but I'm not actually sure how long I'm on it. I'm assuming the normal 6 months tbh! I hope it's not longer than 6 months 😐. It's has definitely been worth it 1 million %. I don't miss the oily skin what so ever and applying make up is so much nicer and stays on all day but I do hate how bad the dry skin is so I can't win lol! I don't regret it what so ever but I can't wait to come off it just bcoz of the dry skin but I use the eucerin branded creams which are really good but quite expensive! I literally have 2 spots on my face and they're taking so long to go but I have just had my time of the worth so I blame it on that lol. What face moisturiser are u using for the dryness?
    • Posted

Time of the month **

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.