Into my first week on roaccutane ...

Posted , 43 users are following.

I'm going into my second week tomorrow on roaccutane. My face is red and tight/dry (also abit painful and itchy). Is this normal ?

0 likes, 172 replies

172 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I hear you sister! Its my time too which is always bad for my skin but not THIS bad. I frighten myself looking in the mirror! I was using E45 and cetraben (two pronged attack) but thanks to this thread am getting cetaphil.

I ventured out to boots this avo (scarf wrapped around face obvs) to get camoflage make up. The lovely lady at counter noticed my skin (hard not to) and asked if i was on roaccutane. She had been on it and had good results but she told me that her friend had dreadful cracked skin and that her lips would crack and bleed whilst talking to a customer (i was nearly crying at this point). Her friends derm aparantley told her not to moisturise. That cant be right can it? Im slathering it on like its going out of fashion.

Neutrogena lip balm working ok so far but am getting a tad obssessed with aplying it.

Ironicly I thought roaccutane would save a bomb on lotions and potions and facials but im spending more on moisturiser and camoflage make up than ever. But thanks to your advice i know it will be worth it in the end. M x

• Posted

No make sure u moisturise Hun! Remember that roaccutane is sucking every bit of moisture out of ur body so u do need to put some back in to prevent cracked bleeding skin so I have no idea why people wouldn't moisturise! I used cetaphil face cream for the first 2 month but I think my skin got immune to it so I've changed now to eucerin urea face cream and eucerin lip balm and they're so much better than cetaphil in my opinion!! Give them a try. I actually have a break sometimes for a few days and don't take the tablet. Not sure if it's recommended but it gets too much sometimes and my lips crack in the corner and they peel so bad but that eucerin lip balm is a gods send! I've tried everything to Carmex to burts bees and eucerin is by far the best! My derm prescribed me oilatum but even that burns so I'd rather use my own money and go to boots to buy something that's going to work! Where u from x
    • Posted

Eucerin it is! Sold! Im sure having a break now and again is fine. As you say - this bad boy is sucking the moisture out of us. Im from cardiff and have been going to heath hospital. Have been on antibotics for my skin for 4 years buy didnt work so decided on drastic action. Had loads of hard spots under the skin on my chin but thanks to breakout - they're not under the skin anymore! They're out and loud and proud. Is a balaclaver an acceptable fashion item these days? Im sure they'll have one in primark! M x
    • Posted

You can buy it from boots! Lol would u not wear a bit of Make up to try cover up? Yeah same I've tried every cream and tab from the doc and when I was prescribed accutane I was nearly crying haha! I am worried about coming off roaccutane though in case the acne comes back! Suppose it's all a risk hey! And my face is so bright red is urs yet? X
    • Posted

Hiya Sam, how are you doing? It's the final furlong ;-) last check up on the 30th and the tablets will stop a few days after :-) just suffering the last effects of a big breakout and have peeling dry cracked skin all on my cheeks, chin, hands and arms, scabs up my nose, I'm looking forward to all that easing ( hopefully ) when the tablets stop and I can appreciate my spot free skin! I genuinely don't know how I've done these past few months, so many ppl have been on lower doses and I feel like I've been put thru the mill on 70mg :-( welcome snowball (m) please don't let the breakout get you down, it's hard not to I know but just keep telling yourself it will be worth it in the end, it's a tough journey but as your skin clears week by week and the oily skin disappears it makes it worthwhile!! Eucerin is the best thing ever, there is one called soothing skin balm, I actually got 4 trial tubes on eBay that last ages and they fit in your pocket etc, also cetaphil, but try not to over moisturise as the purpose of the pills is to get rid of oil in the pores x
    • Posted

Ah thanks Emma, ill take Sam and your advice and I'm sure it will stand me in good stead for the next few (difficult) months. Congratulations on reaching the finish line! Im sure you'll have an amazing summer and a fantastic christmas now your skin is clear and youre stress free. Thats whats keeping me going....just thinking about Christmas parties without having to hide in the corner and running to the loo to conceal the spots at a ln hourly rate. Thanks for the advice anf kind words. It really does help an and means a lot. M x

• Posted

You're very welcome, I've been looking at a way of putting pics on here but can't find a way, I took pictures of my first breakout a week into the dreaded course I think it would be good to show others that you're not alone! The main thing for me is all the bumps under my skin have disappeared, blackheads and open pores on my nose and cheeks ( tzone) area closed up and gone I just hope they don't come back :-/ I go back for a check up 3 months after my tablets stop but I'm hoping to try for a baby soon so don't really want to go back on them as I'm getting on a bit as it is lol x
    • Posted

Oh best of luck and love to you. Its ridiculous how this forum has helped me through the first few hurdles and I'm sure I'll be leaning and moaning on kind people like yourself and Sam in the months to come. I hav
    • Posted

Sori! Sent to soon! I have to go into work tomorrow and face the stares and whispers of the BAAAAAD break out...but hei...I can do it. I have to do it. Get my fav heels on, smile and pretend Im not terrified and scared and worried inside. Thanks again for your kind words and advice. M x
    • Posted

Oh Hun, hold your head high and be proud of what you're doing cos it sure ain't easy, but it is so worth it! I wish I'd done it years ago! Can I ask how old you are? I honestly don't think I would have coped if I'd done this at school age! x
    • Posted

Far from school age! 35 - and feel it! A couple of "ladies" in the office will just love my awful complection and no doubt discuss my hideousness over lunch (a bit like school!) but I am armed and ready thanks to your positive advice. Ill let you know how it goes! X
    • Posted

This is really late.. but do you remember the urea % in the cream you used? My dermatologist prescribed 15% but I feel like that's too much as all the creams I could find only had max 10%. I also heard that you're not meant to use it while on roaccutane so I was surprised when it was prescribed to me.
    • Posted

Hi guys sorry I've had surgery so been recovering... Tbh I don't think I should have used urea in my cream as I was still using it up until a week ago as I got eczema on my face so I stopped using that cream and it has dissapeared! I would say use cetaphil as an alternative! Hope you're all doing ok and my face is still clear (not one spot) and no oil had come back yet X
  • Posted

Sam my lovely new friend - is my face red? Put it this way - i cant wear pink because I clash with my face. I am a human tomato. If it wasnt such a mare id laugh! x
    • Posted

Hi girls! Yeah I'm ok Emma just that my skin is very sore all over my body as in itchy inflamed red 😤 just got back from the hosp to have my bloods done and I'm with the derm Tomoz to get my next prescription! Going into my 4th month and can't wait to finish! My skin is clear now compared to what it used to be but it's very red and corned beef looking is that normal?! Can't explain it like patchy red but not with spots 😐 hoping it calms down when I've finished! I've only been on 20mg through out so god knows how u have been on such a high dose !! Persevere snowball it's all worth it x
    • Posted

Hei lovlies.

Thank you for all your support as i ventured into work for the first time with the mother of all break outs! Did what you said Emma, and held head high and faced it full on. Just got to face the fear and look it on the eye!

Hei Sam, Hopefully your derm will be able to help you tomorrow with the redness of your skin. You are spot free (hurrrahh. I cant WAIT to say that about me!) and as you say im sure the patchy redness will calm down and be totally gone before long.

Its a ruddy mountain isnt it??But thanks to your support climbing it is easier. M x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.