Intrusive/ obsessive thoughts

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’ve been on Sertraline for a couple of months now and the physical anxiety has pretty much gone, but the mental, racing intrusive thoughts are still there at times. It’s been particularly bad the last few days where I can’t stop obsessing about what might be wrong with me physically that is causing the anxiety. I keep googling symptoms and watching YouTube videos about different things relating to health and it feels like a compulsion. Can anyone else relate to this, I know it sounds a bit weird? I’ve just upped my dose from 100mg to 125mg, so I’m wondering if it’s the side effects. I just want to be able to relax and do normal things and have the interests I used to have, instead of being obsessed with my health. Can anyone else relate to this and did it go with time? 

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all well I'm 4 weeks in now to the day and still really anxious I think the obtrusive thoughts are calming a little but no appetite still ...hoping from 4 weeks things settle a bit. Mood isn't too bad though . It's the anxiety and shaking that's awful 😂 ...from what over read 4to 8 weeks is when people start to feel a bit different what's everyone else's experience?

• Posted

Hi everyone. It's the end of week 5 for me today. I feel like in week 4 I started to feel good for a few days, almost like a light was switched in my brain, it was pretty exciting. Then week 5, I felt like I had a blip and felt a bit more depressed, not so much anxiety. I'v read that these Blips happen at around week 4 to 5, I'm hoping that it balances out for me a bit more in week 6. It felt good to be 80% better for a little bit there. Hoping to get to that again. Do you guys think that this is the full effect or I still have a few more weeks? 

Also, last night I had the WORST headache of my life which I woke up from. It was very intense, not usual for me. 

Hope everyone is doing a bit better! xx

• Posted

Hi there I hit 4 weeks and started to feel good then bam 5 weeks to the day and awful I'm 5 weeks 2 days now and it's not goid anxiety increased massively . ...is this to be expected I wonder the docs are useless!!

• Posted

Hi Sarah

How are you feeling now? Has your obsessive thoughts settled down at all.

Julie xx

• Posted

HI I’ve , they have a bit thanks.  They're still there in the background but I can cope with them at the moment. I think it was because I’d just put up my dose a few days before, so it was probably the side effects kicking in. I started to feel better this week after about 10 days of putting the dose up. I’ve now got to do another increase which will put me up to 150mg. 

How are you doing? Any better? Xx

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Pleased they've settled a little, I'm the same just in the background.

Went to doctors last Monday and he increased me from 50 to 100 mg ,and find the increase is helping as I was too low on 50.

It's awful Sarah isn't it the obsessive thoughts take over your life and no matter how you get and stop them you cant.

Hope you manage the 150 without too many problems.

Let me know how you're getting on xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.