Inversion tables

Posted , 6 users are following.

Good evening fellow back pain sufferers!

Has anybody had any experience of Inversion tables to help decompress the spine? Currently trying to decide whether to take the surgical route or keep trying the many alternatives options.

Thank you in advance

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have suffered on and off with crippling sciatica for years. The last bout was five long years but although I was offered surgery after two years of agony I refused. A close friend had three sciatica operations over a number of years - they never seem to work forever - repeat surgery after a few years seems to be the order of the day. The last operation left her in a wheelchair for life, with non-working bladder and bowels needing to catheterise and give herself daily enemas. And thanks to lies told by the surgeon (not hearsay, I know this myself), no recourse to any compensation whatsoever. Don't have surgery! Now to answer your question, I tried every possible solution including buying an inversion table, which I believe has helped to cure me. I found a guy called Steve Lockhart who explains the problem with sciatica really clearly and everything made sense. I adopted his exercise program (almost impossible in the beginning but I persevered in tiny little stages) and eventually bought the inversion table he recommends. It tips you in a sitting position rather than hanging from your ankles - even the thought of being suspended from my feet in a straight line hurt and felt it would be wrong. This table is simple to use, and although heavy does fold flat to lean against the wall. I used it twice daily in the beginning, and felt immediate absence of pain. I also bought a vibration plate to stand on (secondhand on ebay!) and this worked wonders too. Although I can't say if these remedies will work for you, I decided to try to heal myself using Steve's method as I spent literally thousands on this chiropractor and that osteopath, swallowed painkillers of all types that didn't help at all. This way, I have the tools at hand to help myself and have now been almost pain-free for two wonderful years. At the first twinge, I'm back on the inversion table and the vibra-plate daily. One other thing I did was get plenty of sun (and use a sun-bed very sparingly) to get my Vitamin D up. Vitamin D from the sun or sun-bed creates a broad-spectrum antibiotic in your body, should your sciatica be caused by an infection, the long-term natural help from this should help. Again, I don't know which of these remedies finally cured it but frankly I don't care - I'm cured, without the horrendous risk of surgery, and whenever I get a twinge, rather than spending yer more money on therapists who sometimes made me worse rather than better, I have the equipment here to use whenever I need it, as often as I like. My advice over all would be avoid surgery at all costs, and try as many remedies as you can, but the three I've mentioned here worked for me. Very best of luck, it's horrendous I know, but it's possible to come out the other side with work.
    • Posted

Wow that should really help Samantha with her question.  I am glad you have found relief and persevered.  Really interesting reading your story. 
  • Posted

I should mention that Steve Lockhart is in Australia, but he speaks more sense about sciatica and how to cure it than anyone else I know. You'll find him on the internet and I recommend him highly. 
    • Posted

I will look on internet for him.  Thanks
    • Posted

Wow, thank you LindenS. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question very openly and honestly. I have been doing some research on Steve Lockhart as you suggested and I have to say, he makes a lot of sense! I am going to try his program and see if I can get some results with that. I have also spent a lot of time and money ( and swallowed my own body weight in pills!) to feel worse!

I going to invest in an inversion table and a vibration plate and see what happens.

Thank you for offering me some hope. It's priceless.

• Posted

I watched Steve Lockart on Utube as you advised.  Thanks for that.  Saw there were quite a few posts there about coping with back pain and will watch those too. 
    • Posted

Yes Linden very helpful.  I am looking into Steve Lockart too.  Watched him on UTube.  Let us know if the inversion table and vibration plate work for you. 
    • Posted

Both work well Anne, worth every penny although they take up a bit of space.  I don't spend any money on seeing therapists now, just have my kit at home for whenever I get a twinge. Keeps it all at bay - I've replied more fully to Samantha, I hope you can see those comments, if not let me know and I'll repeat on here. Another thing I've just remembered that I use all the time - so much so it's part of my life I forgot to mention it. Get an electric heat pad, and use it everywhere. I even bought a portable rechargeable one for when I'm out and about, Heat will help more than you can imagine - again Steve's advice, not mine. Forget about ice, heat works much, much better and is more comforting when you're hurting. My heat pad goes everywhere with me. See also my advise about standing (if you can see it) to Samantha. Keep the faith, you CAN get through this without surgery, injections, painkillers. It will take work and money, but once you've bought the kit, it's yours forever.
    • Posted

Hello, do you do his exercises, where can I find them or do I need to buy an eBook? I am looking for an exercise regime I can do at home daily, which aims at helping the body to heal the slipped disc.
    • Posted

Yes, I do his exercises. Look for Steve Lockhart on the internet - he's in Australia and also has a website slm bodywork and myotherapy - I can't post the actual names on here, you have to find him. His explanation of what causes sciatica makes complete sense which was the first explanation I had that did! The inversion table is really useful and I use it all the time, even more when my back plays up. Don't buy a cheaper one though where you hang from your ankles, that wouldn't work I don't think. Good luck....
  • Posted

Hello Samantha.  Oh this back pain is awful isn't it?  Can you tell me what surgery is suggested for you please.  No I have not used an inversion table, but I get terrible vertigo if I put my head down.  What can be done about our back pain?  I do hope you find relief.
    • Posted

Hello Anne,

It's certainly a struggle isn't it?!

Have you had an MRI scan/ confirmed diagnosis?

I don't have any disc left between L5 and S1 and I also have spondylolisthesis, I have felt like my life is over and I'm only 37.

The surgery recommend for me is a last resort but basically they want to perform a pedicle screw fixation, insert a rod into my spine, bone grafting and decompression of the nerves. Not something that I'm particularly keen on I have to say!

Hope that this helps.

• Posted

Yes a few years ago now.  I refused injection as when I had one before in my back it made me bad.  Also my own GP injected me twice in my hip but  first one did not work.  When he did a second one it hit wrong place and I was in a great deal of pain and could hardly walk. 

Oh you really are too young to be going through this.  I have a friend of 40 who has been through two operations for spondylolisthesis.  She had it done in Guys hospital in London and it was a long op and she has lots of rods and screws un her back.  Sadly it has not really relieved her pain. 

I am loathe to go back to GP as I am elderly so know it is wear and tear due to my age.  But you, oh goodness, that is a different matter.  Are you in a lot of pain.

It would be great if the inversion table worked for you.  I do hope so.

• Posted

Sorry Anne I just remembered you can't use inversion as you get dizzy. I will still recommend the vibraplate if you can get one at a reasonable price. It's good for circulation too, so you wouldn't be wasting your money. 
    • Posted

Good morning Anne,

The more I research the surgery recommend the more I think NO WAY!

It's rubbish being in pain, no matter how old/ young you are. I found the doctor to be a complete waste of time, she asked me what I would like HER to do! I still believe that holistic and alternative therapies are the way forward. I have downloaded Steves video and done the exercises this morning. Really hard work but I'm hoping it will be worth it in the long run.

I am going to get a vibro plate too so I will let you know if that helps.

I think if we keep talking about it to other people that understand, that helps too.

Hope you have a good day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.