Inversion tables

Posted , 6 users are following.

Good evening fellow back pain sufferers!

Has anybody had any experience of Inversion tables to help decompress the spine? Currently trying to decide whether to take the surgical route or keep trying the many alternatives options.

Thank you in advance

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just reading your description of what 'they' want to do to you Samantha, it looks like pretty much exactly the operation my friend had that left her with such devastating disability. Try absolutely EVERYTHING first, and for a long time as Rome wasn't built in a day. Believe me, I know only too well what agony you're in. When at my worst, I couldn't walk 20 yards, and if I had to stand in a queue somewhere, I would nearly pass out with the pain. But now, I can stand, dance, walk within reason as much as I want. I'm very careful of course but with the stuff I bought at Steve Lockhart's suggestion, I can get on top of it every time really quickly now. I don't know where you live (I'm in High Wycombe) but you'd be more than welcome to try out my inversion table and vibraplate if you can get to me. It's a lot of cash for the inversion table, but when I look at what I spent on chiro/osteo/acupuncture/cupping (you name it) it's cheap actually as I always have it here now to use whenever I need to.
    • Posted

Thank you, that's really kind. I have emailed Steve and the inversion chair he recommends is currently out of stock so I have to wait for that. I did purchase his book and dvd so hopefully I can get started with that asap.

I miss being able to go for a lovely walk and my aim is to get back to that

I'm in Birmingham, so not too far away. I may take you up on your very kind offer sometime!

• Posted

One of Steve's exercises that I do every time I have the opportunity - especially when forced to stand - is to stand with your back against a wall, feet shoulder width apart and slide down the wall slightly so that your knees are bent. When suffering pain, this should help it quite a lot, either if you push your pelvis back against the wall, or tilt it forward slightly, whichever is most comfortable. Even at my worst time, I could stand for quite a while like that. I really don't care if it may look a bit odd,  it's a comfy way to stand and an exercise as well. That one thing from Steve's book made it worth the money for me.
    • Posted

I've just done his yoga DVD, found it quite tough but I feel less ' hunched' up. Found muscles I haven't used for years 😄

Do you happen to know what sort of inversion table it is? I know that the hanging one isn't very good but I'm keen to get one asap.

Have a good day.

• Posted

One further thought... keep an eye out on ebay and other online markets - the type of inversion table you're looking for might come up for sale there's more than one type I think that's like the one Steve sells and it's very clearly different from the 'hanging' type - you might find yourself a bargain and get it sooner!
  • Posted

Hi Samantha. I don't think it has a name, but I'll put a photo of it here so you know what the type looks like - the wrong one is very long with straps for your ankles, this one is more compact. The small roller at the front is where you tuck your knees round, then you lean forward over the big padded big and gradually pull yourself over - it's adjustable to varying degrees of 'upside-downness'. I just had a quick look on ebay and they all look the wrong type. I don't know if you saw my reply to Anne earlier about using a heat pad all the time? I forgot to mention that before, but that will ease it a lot, I use mine literally all the time. Be careful with the exercises when you start off, a little at a time, you don't want aches and pains to add to your troubles, but if you've seen Steve's explanation of how the disc/discs pops out and herniates, and how it will all be held in place if you can make your muscles strong enough, This is such common sense, what a pity the NHS can't get their heads around it! And it took me years to find out about it and to put everything in place for my body to heal itself. I've just seen the size of the picture and it's tiny. I hope you can make sense of it. It's taken looking from the front where you get onto it then with your midriff/chest on the large pad, you just pull yourself slowly over.
    • Posted

Evening, that's great, thank you for that. I'll do some research and see what I can find. I can see the picture no problems. I use a heat pad at home but not outside. I also started taking Epsom salt baths as they are supposed to be great for sore muscles.

Sounds like you've got this whole painful back thing under control which is great!

• Posted

Evening,

Me again!!

I hope you don't mind me asking this and it's not too cheeky. I think I have found an inversion table like the one you have but I wanted to double check it was the same sort of action. From what I can gather it looks the same? I have posted a link, if you would be so kind as to have a little look, that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sam

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Ok fair enough admin.

I'm afraid the pm has foxed me too, couldn't work out how to do it! lol

Thank you in advance.

• Posted

There is a link with my comment in the post above to the FAQ about PMs. Basically, click on the envelope under the other users name.
  • Posted

The link has been deleted Samantha, but if you can find out how to private message me, by all means send the link and I'll have a look. I can't see how to send a pm but maybe you're better on this website that me!!
  • Posted

I've checked my settings and I can received PMs, but I can't see any envelope allowing you to send me one - or me to send you one for that matter. What a palaver!  Hope to hear from you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.