Iron and bowels (possibly TMI!)

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have quite low ferritin so have been taking iron supplements. I try and get plenty of iron in my diet (no red meat though as I'm veggie) but I don't think I'm absorbing it well. However combined with the constipation I get from hypothyroid, the iron tablets are "bunging me up" horribly! Does anyone know of a supplement I can take that might help with this, or a veggie food that's a really good source of iron? Thanks!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Alice:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease.

Good source of iron are:  Spinach, leafy green veggies, Liver, & Meats. I know you won't eat meat.

You need to drink lot's of water to keep the bowel hydrated. It helps and so does warm liquids.  Try seeing if every other day will help you  out to take your supplement.

• Posted

Hello have you been tested for coliacs? I have low ferritin also i take a chelated iron which is iron bound too an amino acid supposedly its more easily absorbed and it doesnt constipate you x

Take iron with vit c like the lemon water first thing then no dairy for atleast an hour. Avoid tea even fruit ones due too tannins.

Probiotics are good though plenty of high fibre veggies a good bit of water should help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.