Irritating , annoying comments about chronic pain .

Posted , 10 users are following.

Don’t you hate it when the able-bodied try to encourage you with cliches that no longer apply to chronic pain patients?

The one that irritates me most is, “If you can dream it, you can do it!”. or, "the power of positive thinking" ... Here's one of my favorites

just keep moving and be "Mindful" of your tolerances.

It makes me want to reply, “Really? I’m dreaming that you would feel my pain”.rolleyes

What at are some of the irritating response you receive from those who do not suffer from chronic pain? And what do you tell them?

4 likes, 369 replies

369 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Hope, Gloria, Indigoods,

Site has been wonky for a couple of days, what would be middle of night in UK...I would type and type on my cell with one finger, giggle, and click on reply.

It would spin, and spin, and spin more, and turn, and turn, and give me a completely blank page! It ate all of my words!

So hugs, big hugs, warm hugs all around...any one else heard from Hope?

I have np kiddies butI do have a 7 pound Yorkie and a white winged pocket parrot. Ziggy and CharlieGirl.

Lots done today...even baked! Wr finally have a lovely fall day...it has been in the 80s here...in November!

May each of you have a day filled with smiles

toodles

judith

• Posted

Glad to hear your having a good day, you deserve one. This site is doing the same to me as well. Slightly irritating. Today is my day for methotrexate, after the 2nd dose, give it 2 hours. One word for you-blah!! But I did get some stuff done, my Mom has Lupus so I spent the weekend over there helpin out.

You're from the UK? and no word from hope on my end.

• Posted

Hiya all..I have had no problem with my posts except when they take em down for some weird reason....Going Christmas shopping today...a bit early but feel like "shopping therapy"...usually only peculiar to women eh....Have a happy day everyone...Hugs an all...Gloria

• Posted

Hey Gloria,

The moderators do not like internet links...next time click on "why"

Happy shopping

big hugs

judith

• Posted

How are you doing since you last infusion of MTX. Sorry so long getting back.

I am sorry to hear ur mom has Lupus. It's a horrible devastating systemic disease. 

I hope and pray she has good health care. 

Ur mom is lucky to have you to care for her. Your a hero and don't even know it! A SMILE AND ((( hugs )))biggrin for you! 

keep us posted Indigood on how your doing.

Peace & Heeling,

HOPE

• Posted

Been a few days, how ya doing? I take the MTX every saturday, so every sunday is like-done. We just recently, are having weather changes. And had an extreme arthritis pain day, of course on a sunday- that was fun. I can actually look at the accuweather arthritis forecast and get an idea of which days are, well...worse than others. So far it's pretty true. But my question still remains, how have you been doing? You, gloria and judith dug me out of a hole, that I can never repay. Just so you know. You will always have my best for that! Talk soon, Indi

• Posted

Hi Indi!

wondered where you were.....so, today I was really down this morning...it us the first day if the 13th week not being able to use my arm....and then my surgeon had his gal telephone me...my new implant has arrived....my surgery is set for January 6! By January 27 I will have my arm back! It is so much easier to get through something when you can see the end.

The shoulder replacement will be in February although I do not have a date.

Gloria...lost internet mail for two days! Could not receive, nor send.

Got a message to Hope just before it shut down.

hugs all around!

• Posted

Just ran across this Ihavenoname

your always here to help. Now I read your having shoulder joint replacement sometime in Feb. let us know when . Will be here any time for lov, hugs support and laughs.

So sorry you have to go through surgery again. Just had a THR. 

• Posted

Jeez...shoulder replacement...and yeah I know what you mean about seeing the end of the tunnel. Feels like-progress..I guess is a good way to put it...I'm sure to talk to you before you have the op.., best wishes...talk 2 u soon.

• Posted

January 6 is the DRUJR...now doesn't that sound mysterious...distal radius ulna joint replacement...see the shoulder guy on Dec 19. Physical therapist happy with my elbow progress, seems slow to me...

This is my favorite group...big hugs all around

• Posted

Hi Jude....wow...can we have permission to call you the bionic woman....lol

Geez I hope all goes well for you my friend...we're all waiting for your next lot of good news......lol  Give Ziggy a hug from me.....and get him to hug you back....Love always..G

• Posted

Medical mysteries for sure. How long is rehab? All our joints are bionic. I hope your surgery goes well. Ziggy will be around to cheer you up. Smuggle him in you doggy bag. LOL WE WILL ALL BE HERE FOR YOU TOO,

With all the joint replacements ya ever wonder how much we are worth in metal alone! Each joint is worth $10,000l cost.  I wonder what they retail for?Just think of all the jewelry we have that no one can see.

Mabe my next revision due in Jan I could have a few crystals included just for extra karma. I understand crystals have great karma. LOL

• Posted

Soory so late getting back. The heater went out then a tree went down had that to deal with. I'm exhausted .

DOES THE MTX HELP with the arthritis pain. So happy to hear your done with the dosage. What kind of arthritis do you have? MTX is supposed to help slow the progression of some arthritis. 

I take Apremalast for psoriatic arthritis pain.

The he next few days here is gonna be a arthritis bummer predictor, cold, rainy and high winds. Joints will be a hollowing for sure. 

• Posted

Add this to your wardrobe for rehab.lovely t-shirt and fun to add that designer touch adding bling . Fun and amusing and easy! 

Bling out your pooch ZIGGY t shirt !

What a cutie! I bet he eats you out of house and home! LOL

• Posted

so a few years ago, I was doing the laundry and the machine went off balance . so I took a twerky position up in front of the machine so that it could not walk across the laundry, pulling the water hose out of the wall. My neighbor came down, dropped everything he was carrying and cracked up laughing... Okay, so maybe I couldn't reach inside the machine to redistribute the load because I had a cast on each arm.. lol

• Posted

Oh Hope....I am gonna ask for crystals!!! Purchased a really cute grey camo jacket for Ziggy in a size small cute cause the zipper was on the back and it had wee leg holes. nice and warm...and either I return it or Ziggy needs to diet.. how is a 7 pound dog a size medium? Perhaps he is, he manages to spread all 7 pounds out and take up my whole bed! Abd he is like a magnet...I move over so I have room to breathe and he homes in on me without waking up!

We love dogs in Colorado...they can go visiting in the hospitals, rehab hospitals...all the nurses know him!

• Posted

How cute sounds like fun to pick out outfits for Yorkies.

That t shirt is for you to wear. There's a web site order any size any dog breed. Then order Ziggy one to match! Bling them out with craft jewels.  I blinged out my cane. And gloves & hats . Well it keeps me out of trouble. Yes we have a friend that is with a group that takes their dogs every week to visit hospitals. They have to be bathed and all nails trimmed all great for evey patient brings big smiles. 

I used to to do that when I was younger and had Shelties. This was in the 70s way before it was well accepted. I snuck in my grams little deer chiuiuua

sp? The nurses knew it but never Mage me leave  I was about 12 years old. 

My gram hand the biggest smile on her face I'll never forget it! It even made her giggle which after a strike she hadn't done in weeks. Animals do heel! There our little angles from above. 

So glad you have your pets to keep you out of trouble and give you a laugh and a giggle! cheesygrin

• Posted

As far as they can tell I have AS and osteo, quite a bit in my fingers and hands. I haven't had evrything mri and x-ray. Big problem actually is a compressed vein and nerve in my shoulder as well. And enthesis in my arms.

What a could say about the MTX , it does keep everything at bay. Stops the inflammation an seems to help with fatigue. Since I have been on it I don't get the chronic ache, all over. Alot is constant and subject to weather. Fun, Fun

• Posted

Indi,

If you have not had an MRI how do you know it is a vein and nerve compression?

In AS patients shoulder problems are just beginning to be recognized as AS origin.

Indi, find a good ortho physician...ask him about your Acromioclavicular tendon...this is the highest point on your shoulder ..and is being recognized more and more in AS.

The Acromion is a specific area of the Scapula...the bone with the ridge you feel on your back up top. Clavicular just means of the clavicle, that skinny bone that goes from your shoulder to your neck, the collar bone.

So to identify a tendon, we name both ends of the tendon...so you can say, Acromialclavicular and not need to say more.

Indi, the treatment is a steroid injection into the tendon.

• Posted

Ooooo ouch. I have the problem with my shoulders too...I look like the hunchback of Notre Dam....so swollen and hard as rocks..My neurologist says she can do deep needling in those muscles and it should ease the pain....My arms are affected too...right down to my right hand. It's another AS nasty mate. I won't hug you too hard today.....just a little. G

• Posted

Hi I had needling done in my FS . I Had collagen build up that caused the shoulder capsule to reduce range of movement and nodgules reducing range of movement.

TRIED needling first thenhad FS shoulder release for ROM under anesthesia didn't work for long froze back up. I Finally found a doctor who uses Xiaflex. It's an injection. It's a protein( I won't go into what is made of to save you the yuck factor) anyway the protien only dissolves the collagen a and nodgules and scar tissue. Two weeks later after the injection went back for manipulation the doc used freeze spray to numb the area.  A quick gentle movement and it was over. Then a immobilizer for a week and Physio for two weeks. That was over 8 months ago. Now I have full range of motion.

Not sure what you shoulder issue is but usually when needling is used it to break up collagen blocking movement in the facia tissue or the shoulder joint or capsule. Mabe this is something to ask your doc about. If available there then mabe Australia. 

Hope xxxxx

• Posted

Hi Hopes....ooopppss silly joke...I doubt if here they've even heard of it....

Maybe if I can find a friendly Ozzie Doctor...I'll ask.....

• Posted

Can someone ask around. It's not fair that you have to suffer because of where you live.

the tropics would be a dream od a life to live in such a beautiful area. I guess there are draw backs to about everywhere. 

When I,went to Hawaii visited all the islands they were so beautiful. The flowers tropical fruits and coffee plantations. So many garden tours . Yet it all became the same on each island. When I returned home I realized that where I live have a huge variety of fauna and flora more than Hawaii! 

I did did love watching the volcano erupting. Nothing can make new earth or take it away any faster then a volcano! 

Hopeexxxx

• Posted

Hello Hope...yes it does seem unfair but I feel more for all the poor people who cannot ever get help with their illnesses because of cost...and the lack of adequately trained medical professionals. Bali is a paradise island but there is another side to paradise...My garden has tomatoes, papaya, bananas, pineapples, mangoes and so many herbs...I love it, especially now the mangoes are coming in...huge juicy fruits by the bucket load. Eggs from our chickens is also a plus...They are tiny little Japanese Bantams with long fluffy feathers and adorable natures...we have two eggs at a time coz they lay such tiny ones. The yolks are bright orange as we feed the girls lots of greens and vegies from the kitchen scraps. I love where we live...but it does has it's down side. Guess I just have to live with it all now. Nothing is perfect...and other places in the World would be so expensive for me to live there....I was looking at the prices for cheap hotels in Australia...wow...ten times what they are here. Gonna have fun checking out the supermarkets there..price, quality etc...it's gonna be an eye opener for sure. xxx back...and hugs too

• Posted

Your garden sounds amazing. Mangos are very good fruits & anti inflammatory too. I love them. Make great salad a and smoothies. Yumm!

When you grow your own garden the fruits and veggies in the stores have very little taste compared to fresh from the garden. It spoils your taste buds.

I grew a garden for many years can't now so run into a small town to purchase fresh fruit and veggies at the farmers market.

i know exactly what the cute chicks look like you describe . They are so beautiful and great bug eaters natural way to keep the bugs out of the garden. I used white Peeking ducks. They especially loved the grasshoppers. Lots  protein right.

You are so lucky to live where you live and you're right it is a trade off and I do feel sad for the lack of medical treatment for you available there. 

The sun has been out all,day so nice not one drop of rain. Very unusual for us this time of year. 

Take care are and many heeling blessing sent across the sea!

• Posted

Indi...where have you been...we missed you...I am serious, properly administered, you may be able to lift your arms over your head.....in USA, we inject slow acting steroid for the long term and fast acting steroid for the time it takes for the slow acting to kick in. For the first ten days after injection, just rest the joint. It is important to restfor ten days to protect the long term.
    • Posted

Hiya Indi...you're back. Us girls were a tad worried about you. Steroid injections...ouch. I had nine of them when I was in Hospital in Thailand...but the local anesthetic didn't work...they were agony. Never again. The needles are huge...and they put them into my spine, groin, hip joints and hands....I must say I did get some relief from them for about 6 months...but for me the pain of the needles...is a no..no..never again. Anyway,,.big hugs to you...G

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.