Irritating & insipid instructions for chronic pain.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Don’t you hate it when the able-bodied try to encourage you with cliches that no longer apply to chronic pain patients?

The one that irritates me most is, “If you can dream it, you can do it!”. or, "the power of positive thinking" ... Here's one of my favorites

just keep moving and be "Mindful" of your tolerances.

It makes me want to reply, “Really? I’m dreaming that you would feel my pain”.

What at are some of the irritating response you receive from those who do not suffer from chronic pain? And what do you tell them?

6 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My favorite one is off my gp she keeps telling me an a mystery an is not helpful in any way..
  • Posted

My favorite one is off my gp she keeps telling me an a mystery an is not helpful in any way..
    • Posted

Hi Kirsty,

Oh I can't believe any doctor would actually say that to a patient. What happened to asking or referring you to another doctor. 

How frustrating. Can you change doctors?

• Posted

Hi fellow seniors in pain........LOL...pain whats that right?Im 63 I got my arthritis at 17 yrs old so by now Im a hurting for sure!I have Lupus which is where my arthritis came from,and an inoperable brain tumor.I get this all the time..."Why are your headaches so bad"?Really?I take each day at a time everyday is different...my biggest issue is why people tell me off for having a disibility plate....they look at me like ya you are real sick lady...because I dont have a cane yet or wheelchair I am judged...I dare one person to have one day of my pain....even seniors judge me because Ive been told I donot look my age....and thats a sin smile I try to keep a good attitude,I swim live life to my fullest.People need to keep t comments to themselves and quit being so judgemental one  day they to will be a senior..I just hope Im around to watch  smile Blessings...to all....what do you think aout our gray hair being a "crown of glory"?Im also mending a badly broken ankle 8 weeks post.I had to have metal gear with screws placed...my boxer girl wrapped her chain around my foot then decided to get hyper...at least now that Im limping I dont get looked at terribly from using the disabled car plate! smileOh so many young Drs donot understand either oh my...I cant write what I think of that!Blessings and no more pain friends...
    • Posted

I used to get funny looks too with my disability hook.(we hook ours on the mirror in Oz)...but once I had to get a walking aid..the looks soon turned to pity...neither of which I really want...it will always be..that way unfortunately .....we just have to ignore it I suppose..not let it ruin our day...funny though..I find myself looking for the disability hooks whenever we are looking for a disabled parking space...lol...hope you have a lovely day patti and blessed....:-) xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.