Is 8 weeks the average for noticeable signs of recovery?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Most internet sites tend to suggest therapeutic benefits from AD's is felt between 4-6 weeks with a 2 week "getting into the system" phase, however I've noticed in many posts most people tend to be finding a "slight" improvement after 8 weeks. 

Now I know everyone is different and each episode if you experience relapse is different (I was feeling much better last time after 8 weeks, although I continued working which made a big difference), but has anyone felt improvement between 4-6 weeks or is this a bit optimistic and in reality is the average a "noticeable" difference albeit it slight in your own mind between 8-10 weeks perhaps?

I'm in weeks 8 and have noticed a slight improvement in my anxiety, more optimistic thoughts and a feeling that I might just get better, although today not so much as yesterday. I've been on a general downward trend for 8 weeks but perhaps I'm bottoming out which I'm of course happy to do! 

Whats your experience so far with weeks of side effects, getting worse then when you, or even if you, have any noticeable signs of recovery? We all might be able to take some hope from it or persevere.

Nice one. Neil x

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've noticed a slight difference in 2 weeks.. I started a new med which I didn't want to but am seeing myself coming back.. do you take any meds aspinan?
  • Posted

for me the side effects from medication are unacceptable - when your already feeling close to the edge of what you can handle - for a pill to then even temporarily make that worse is just madness to me.  i stick to therapy and avoid medication
    • Posted

im in CAT (Cognitive Analytical Therapy). Its freely available, and works well for me.  CBT is more common but for me i think its pretty useless, im sure it works for some, but im not a fan of it
    • Posted

DITTO.

I found that the strangest thing with fluoxetine was that I would feel kinda normal in the morning before taking my.pill at 8am everyday for 6 days by 11am I would be a different person.  Scared to be in public. The worst anxiety. Brain buzz that would leave me awake hours on end at night.  Incredibly emotional.  My hearing and taste and smell were sooooo sensitive.  I couldn't eat .When I did my anxiety got worse it has been the worst 6 days of my life. 

I was only on 10mg then dropped to 5mg for one day . I've had enough. 

To make it worse.  I went to my doc and described my feelings to her b4 I got prescribed flu.(I found out 3 days into taking the flu. That my original symptoms were because I stopped taking my migraine pills without tapering off.......... I was experiencing normal though quite bad. withdrawals) 

Totally my fault and the fluoxetine has been exaggerating these withdrawal feelings............

So thats why I am stopping today because as im typing this my brain actually feels semi normal.

Im going to my doc today also.

My only fear is now im going to have to cope with the withdrawals from flu.........sad

• Posted

Therapy is doing nothing for me. I will have to check on cat therapy. 
    • Posted

There are many different kinds of therapy, CBT is usually given first - if it doesnt work or you dont like it speak up and tell them youd like something different, theres so many other kinds - all of them safer and just as or more effective as medication
    • Posted

Hi I found CAT therapy really helpful too. Would recommend it to everyone. In my sessions, we did time lines, spider graphs as well as general talking about childhood etc. My therapist kept going off on hilday so I didn't have consecutive weeks. CBT is good too, lots of self help books based on it so you can do it at home.  I had 3 sessions of this but didn't rate the therapist very highly.
    • Posted

i found that cbt therapists not to be very good, but ive put that down to not thinking cbt is not very good to be honest. everyones different though.  CAT is great, it does take time but its good when its tailored
    • Posted

Hiya jmcg, I know what you mean, each time I go 2 docs they just hand me more meds and the side effects are horrendous at times, im teetering on the edge and have been for a while, I was on propranolol 2 start with and that seemed 2 be helping, then got put on hrt as she thought my age had a lot 2 do with it, then after a stay in hospital for hernia problems was put on omoprosole, then she said I was depressed and put me on prozac then 3 weeks ago had shingles and was put on more meds, im sure I must rattle when I walk, I feel like a zombie most of the time, I have my first counseling appointment tomorrow so will see how that goes xx
    • Posted

Ha ha yes! It's more individualised isn't it where CBT can relate to anyone, more generic therapy perhaps. I had one therapist who just kept telling me I'd be fine all the time. Lasted 3 sessions with that one too I can get anyone to tell me that for free!! 
    • Posted

the best of luck with the therapy,im just starting CAT again after a long break from it too. its scary starting therapy but for me its really the only way to get better
    • Posted

sadly i know what you mean,cbt therapists seem to think a cup of tea and telling yourself everythings great it enough. maybe for some it is,but not for me
    • Posted

Thank you, I really hope it helps me, have 2 get off all these meds, take care smile xx
  • Posted

Thanks for opinion folks over benefits of other therapies, I'm trying CBT but also increased dose of venlefaxin, started buspirone and propranalol all 8 weeks ago.

Thanks Tonya, hope your recovery continues!

N

• Posted

Is the buspirone helping you? How many mg do you take? I'm on 10 mg of lexapro and 0.5 mg of ativan as needed and 15 mg of buspirone. I hate the side effects but trying to push thru them.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.