Is anyone going through a menopause 12/13 yrs after full hysterectomy and HRT?

Posted , 41 users are following.

I had a full hysterectomy at 36 (not 51) - I was put on HRT because of my age at the time of the operation. I took the advice of my GP and weaned myself off of HRT about 2 yrs ago - I'm still getting hot flushes several times a day - my moods are up and down - I have headaches and fairly recently noticed slight heart palpitations. I continually have an anxious feeling - I've been to GP who did blood pressure etc and said that it was all good but is referring me for a 24 hr heart monitor but doesn't expect it to pick up anything. I feel like I am constantly saying how unwell I feel - I suffer from constipation, aches and pains in joints and I'm finding it hard to concentrate at work - I just want to feel human again! Apologies if this sounds like me feeling sorry for myself - I'm usually the one helping everyone else to deal with their traumas but I need to focus on me just now - and figure out how I'm going to get through this. I would be very grateful for any info, advice or words of wisdom as my faith in medicine is waning.

1 like, 81 replies

81 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Aileen,

My name is Lynn and I am a new user of this site.

Like you I had a complete Hysterectomy in my very early thirties due to other Gynecological problems. I am now 60 and very shortly after the hyterectomy I was prescribe HRT.

I took this for about 20 years and my doctor told me that I should be weaned off it, like yourself. I was always on the lower dosage of HRT. I very quickly stopped taking the medication.

Since then my 'Hot Flushes' have become unbearable and I am constantly sweating like the proverbial pig.

Even in the middle of winter when the temperatures are extremely low I need to use one, and sometims two fans to try to keep the sweats at bay but it does not do much good.

I have spoken to several doctors on several occassions about this but they all refuse to do anything about it.

I have vurtually begged them to put me back on to HRT but to date they have all refused and have basically said I must grin and bear it.

I have tried goodness knows how many herbal remedies too but none has helped at all.

I am wondering if I ask my doctor to refer me to a Gynecologist or an expert in the Menopause.

Regards to all my fellow suffere3rs.

Lynn

• Posted

hiya Lynn, I too am new to this site, like you I have asked to go back on the HRT and doctor has refused, i am 54 years old,  so suffer I do.  it nice to be abe to talk to other in the same boat.

• Posted

Aileen, how dreadful for you. I am glad you would prefer to go back on HRT. Drs are still clinging to the myths that come from flawed research.

Ask them why not? Have they not kept up with the latest research on HRT - it is better for you than not. Research for yourself and take copies of that research to your drs - ask them to read it or provide real documented proof as to why you should stay on it.

Read Dr Christiane Northrup's "Wisdom of Menopause". It looks like she writes new versions and updates the information. I first read her years ago, and she was on Oprah saying you can keep on HRT long into your 70s. Though she does recommend bio-identical medication, i.e. oestrodiol. The oestogiol implants were good, and so are the oestrodiol patches and gel (except for their inconvenience and rashes they cause me).

I experienced extreme menopausal symptoms while taking HRT for 7 years because of an undiagnosed prolactinoma. Unknowingly, the excess prolactin was causing the oestrogen to be ineffective. The menopausal symptoms never eased in 7 years. It was destroying my health even further, and could have caused another divorce statistic, therefore another couple ending up alone and unhealthy and ready to jump off the cliff.

I too sat in front of a fan, one behind me, and another overhead trying to keep cool. I would have to get up at midnight sometimes and stick my head under the shower because I could not stand the sweaty smell and heat. I would freeze wet face washers to use during the day, and wear one round my neck. I wished I could have a fan follow me around. Trying to put on makeup was a huge problem and I was still working during this period of time.

Before this my more sympathetic menopausal dr left town and I had to get another one. She is anti HRT (she has not experienced menopause yet) but prefers the expensive compound mixes which I have never found anyone being happy with them. I just had to be assertive with her, she knows what happens when I am not getting enough oestrogen and she continues to provide scripts to me.

At least ask for some Vagifem and oestrogen cream for you know what.

Also ask for your Iron Studies to be done, to check for Haemochromatosis. Haemochromatosis robs the body of oestrogen too. As you are no longer menstruating, your ferritin iron level could be increasing and being absorbed by your organs.

And also ask for ALL your pituitary gland hormones to be checked - gps never think of them either (hence my 7 yr long suffering).

Good luck, and let us know how you are going.

PS: I too had a hysterectomy and oopherectomy at age 38 and am now 63 - I am not going off HRT for anyone!

• Posted

Hi Eileen. I had a full hysterectomy at 32, I kept my ovaries.  Aroud 5 years after op,  my doctor put me on HRT, all was well untl doc weaned me of it at  age 52, that when my symptons started. Hot sweats and panick attacks, It continued for about 7 months and then stopped.  I thought it had finished, however 3 months ago it all started again with an avengence. I feel like I am a different person and like you, just want to feel "Normal" again. I cry often. On possertive note, it cant last  for much longer. So chin up we wil get therebiggrin
  • Posted

Hello Aileen, I've just posted my own post menopausal journey on here and like you I'm still battling with symptoms after 14 yrs from coming off HRT. I can't believe that aged 65 there is still no let up from the hot flushes ,constant sweating and a feeling of unwellness. I feel that by taking HRT aged 45 for 7 yrs I've been cheated to expect only benefits and find I have a whole host of symptoms I wouldn't now have if I'd not taken HRT. I'm still trying to find something to help me lead a "normal" life. Good luck with your continuing journey. I need heaps of good luck for mine.
  • Posted

Hi Aileen, I read your post and thought wow, she's telling my story! Since you're 9 months into it I was just wondering if you could give me an update on how you're doing and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My family doctor is currently dealing with me as though I just have depression but I know that the depression is because of the Menopause. I am still on my HRT but recently cut the patch in half to see if it helped with the increased tension and agitation I've been feeling. It has actually helped for now. As you said in your post you feel like you're just feeling sorry for yourself all the time. I think if our doctors were more educated in this area we would probably get the right help sooner.

Any information you can offer I would greatly appreciate.

• Posted

Hi Michele

just read your post .. i cant really relate to HRT as not used it ..

( but if i had i would of chosen patch as its not oral tablets or the prempak or premique or premarin ) equine HRT made from pregnant mares urine .. eeeeeek

patch is transdermal and doesnt go via liver.. to me its the better choice if HRT required. 

anyway... have you considered or tried 100mg Vit B 6 

this also assists HRT absortion as well.

i had a 10 year peri, no HRT .. there are posts on this page of mine 9 months ago i just see before i took the B6 .. i started peri aged 40 and I am post meno now age 50.

i have been taking many supplements, but the one that we really lack in menopause is Vit B6 and i actually take 150mg each morning.

wow .. its changed my life, been taking it since April, and my anxiety, feelings of doom, etc etc have lifted, energy up.. and i felt the improvements in a few days..

also a good B12 5000mcg is a good energy booster.

now post meno, after a thorough Gyno check etc .. the only thing i use is Estriol Ovestin Vaginally very occasionly for dryness etc ..

just thought i would mention the B6 as it works wonders and many other ladies have tried it on here too and say it helps alot ..

benefits ladies either on HRT or not on HRT 

jay x

• Posted

further Vit B6 info 

For a woman going through perimenopause, or post menopause B-vitamins can be essential for effectively managing symptoms.   

Adrenal fatigue, for example, is a common secondary condition for many women going through perimenopause.

B-vitamins support healthy adrenal function, along with calming and maintaining a healthy nervous system.

Many women also suffer with mood swings during perimenopause.

Both B12 and B6 vitamins aid in the production of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, a key brain chemical needed to stabilize moods and promote feelings of wellness and contentment. 

For women who suffer with brain fog, and memory issues in perimenopause, low levels of B6 could be part of the problem.

Depression, confusion, and an inability to concentrate are all associated with B6 deficiency. Vertigo, dizziness, and heart palpitations are also common complaints from women going through perimenopause/post menopause.

All of these symptoms have been associated with (among other things) a B12 deficiency.

Vitamin B6 can also help with stubborn weight gain in perimenopause. It is key in the breakdown and utilization of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in our diet, and is necessary for a healthy metabolism - both which can help manage weight.

consider 100mg Vit B6 daily 

• Posted

Thank-you so much for your repy. You definetly covered the other issues I've had in the last month.

I have a wonderful doctor but I'm learning that it's important to trust our gut feelings as we know our own bodys. I just fine some doctors have a tendency to go towards diagnosing you with depression instead of taking your age into consideration and looking at menopause.

• Posted

Hi michele

Your right there, only a Gyno understands menopause, GPs in my opinion throw anti depressants at you like your a nuerotic idiot.

I was told to have them in Jan by a GP, i didnt, as for me its hormonal anxiety not depression.

I felt great after B6 i take 150mg,wasnt depressed, just meno anxiety, doom, felt i wanted to hide away etc tears all that.

All calmed after B6 never felt better

Wouldnt be without it 

Jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your response, heading out to buy some B6 and will ask for a referral to Gyno at may next GP appointment next week. It's comforting to hear others are going through the same because otherwise you would just believe your going crazy, LOL.

Michele : )

• Posted

I have a question from a males perspective. Can a woman that went thru a full hysterectomy with ovaries removed, go thru menopause 4 years later? I thought with the full that it was an almost immediate reaction? The only medication she is on is high blood pressure presciption.
  • Posted

Aileen I too had a full hysterectomy in 1988.  I went through what they a mock menopause and then went on HRT for about 10 years.  I believe I went off HRT in the early 2000's.  I have been dx with Hypothyroidism about 4 years ago.  About a year ago I had gained 10lbs in two months.  Since my dx I have gained about 30 lbs. I am struggling to no avail.  Doctors tell me that I am NOT going through menopause. What is your take on this??  
    • Posted

hi garden

i would maybe put this question under a new discussion as this is a very old post 

jay x

• Posted

I am frantically searching for answers regarding my thryoidism and the recent weight gain. I thought perhaps menopause may be playing a role.  I did have a full hysterectomy back in the late 80's. I have been on Synthroid for several years now. According to my doctor the test results back in August and September of 2014,and March of 2015 are normal. I have gained 25 lbs from May 2014 to the present time. Unacceptable. 
    • Posted

hi Garden 

i take it you have an underactive thyroid,.. 

not really understanding what you mean about doctors saying your not going through menopause .. if you had a full hyster including ovaries then you would of had menopause quite suddenly after, but the HRT would of replaced hormone decline, maybe your doctor means, what is happening now is not because of menopause, if you are off HRT since 2000 then your post menopause etc.

take it its not the Synthroid thats causing weight gain if you have been on it many years.. ( have you been in it 4 years) 

you havent said what age you are Garden.. 

jay x

• Posted

Jayneejay, If I am understanding your correctly after I stopped taking HRT then my menopause symptoms would have ceased?  In regards to the underactive thyroid, yes I have been taking Synthroid for about 4 years.  In the beginning I gained about 15 lbs.  That is what lead me to the doctors to find out if I did in fact have an underactive thyroid. Once I was put on Synthroid.  With exercise and diet I lost about 10-12lbs. It was not until summer of 2014 that I gained 10lbs within two months and then another 10lbs the winter of 2015.  Currently I am seeing a nutritionist.  I lost 4 lbs.  But am struggling and trying to determine what caused the weight gained to the magnitude in such a short period of time. May of 2014 my weight was at 154lbs.  I am now at 173lbs......
    • Posted

Hi Garden 

did your doctor do complete ' routine' blood checks, and see if everything else is okay.

jay x

• Posted

Hi, yes my pcp doctor did "routine blood checks" as well. And the tests were normal. I am supposed to see both my pcp and endo doctors in June.  However I do not want to wait that long if I don't start seeing significant results. Feeling frustrated and discouraged.
    • Posted

Iron Studies and all pituitary gland hormones are not routine tests, so ask for them.
    • Posted

Hi Garden

ask the doctor what bloods they did for certain.. 

As there are many not included in the ones UK do .. 

They give you a sense of ll is checked, when it is not.. 

i am currently having further blood tests next week ( i am waiting for all my vits and supplements to be out my system before the further bloods) 

As vits and supplements can affect sometimes true result ..

I pay for mine as i ask for what blood tests i feel need looking at. 

i have a few issues and they need checking, not ignoring .. 

I do not live in UK.. ( from UK but live overseas) 

Good luck 

jay x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.