Is anyone happy with TKR?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi everyone.....I'm 64, I've had a total hip replacement 12 months ago and I'm now awaiting a total knee replacement, (on same side),  but having read the forums on here, it appears to be all doom and gloom!  Has ANYONE got a good thing to say about their experience of TKR?  

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It does look like it's all doom and gloom but I think that's because no one is properly prepared for the extent of the op. It's a long and hard road to recovery. It really does take at least a year to feel anywhere near normal and totally pain free. I had my trk back in February 2015 and even now still have days when it can be uncomfortable but not painful. I was told by my surgeon who does both hip and knee replacements that knees are far harder to recover from than hips so don't be tempted to compare the two.

The best advice I received was managing my pain meds. I was in paracetamol ibuprofen and codeine and my plan was to take each one at 2 hourly intervals - for example - paracetamol followed 2 hours later by ibuprofen and then 2 hours later codeine. I followed that plan reliously along with elevation and icing and had no problems with pain which in turn helped when exercising.

You will need to be determined and there will be days when you probably will question why you had it done but in the long run its worth it in the end!!!

Good luck and hopefully you'll sail through the op and the recovery!

It is worth it. 😉

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Remember, most people use these forums to get help for their issues.  The people who don't have problems or questions, wouldn't be looking for forums in the first place.  I'm sure there are alot of them out there but this is a great place to come if you just want to vent or you need some support that you don't get from your doctor's office or family (sometimes!).  There is a slow process of healing that goes along with TKR but I think most people have a good ending result.  I am almost 8 months from my first knee, which is fantastic, and 4 months from my second knee, and that one is so much better than before I had surgery but still needs a little more time before its as good as the first one.  You will get there, but it takes time, and there will be times when little questions come up that you hate to call your doctor about.  This is a great forum and lots of people who have been through it, have some great advice!  Good luck with your surgery and keep a positive attitude!!!!

• Posted

You are quite right, Linda.  Many people dwell on their unpleasant experiences after TKR.  I had a right TKR almost 6 weeks ago and, having had both hips replaced 10 years ago, agree that recovery is much longer than after a hip replacement.  I still cannot flex my affected knee more than 80 degrees.  However, there has been a definite improvement over the weeks.  I now sleep reasonably soundly with a pillow between my legs, although I awake to turn over every hour or so.  I have an allotment garden and spend 5 hours a week there.  My walking is slow and still painful but is improving and I can now ascend stairs with my bad leg leading first.  I think the important message is not to focus on pain but on function and on maintaining exercises.  This is difficult at first because these are painful but it is essential to flex and extend the affected knee three times a day in whatever is feasible or comfortable.
  • Posted

It may appear doom and gloom because you are on a site that deals with pain and the need for empathy.  This is,believe it or not, the minority.  You will not get people who have sailed through their operations on a site like this.  Why would they

??

Doom and gloom is a bit harsh!

• Posted

Someone tried to tell me they sailed through this, I thought I could to. Boy was I wrong. It isn't easy but it is possible.
    • Posted

They most probably could, but..... If we were all the same, life would be boring.  Medicate up, feet up (how many times in the past have you ever been able to do that, without feeling guilty!!!!). If you can keep keep on top of your meds, you most probably WILL sail through (hence the but). It may be a haul for you, but you will get there. Make Patience your new best friend and when you want to rant and rage.....

We are all here

• Posted

LINDA

I am sorry if some of us sound negative but we are just being honest with our experience from a patient perspective.

I think if I had known a lot more before the op I would have been mentally prepared but the pain n very slow recovery was a huge shock.patients need more info beforehand n more support after!

• Posted

I totally agree Hilary ... the information given is very sparse and I think we are given unrealistic expectations by surgeons and physios!!

I've loved this site because not only does it offer support when things are happening that you don't know if they should of not but you can also have a laugh with like minded people going through the same situations as yourself!!

• Posted

You are right. If I had known more, I think it would have gone a little better mentally. It isn't easy but neither is life sometimes. This site has helped me so much. I am 7 weeks post op and have seen improvement. Still bad days, and one side of the knee gets sharp stabs. But ice helps.
  • Posted

At 7 weeks post op I am finally making some progress. Still a little painful and if I am up doing more things the swelling still is there. I am only 52 and thought I would recover faster but you can do this. Don't over due. Do your exercises and rest quite a bit the first few weeks (but still to exercises). It is rough, but you can do it. Good luck to you.
  • Posted

Hi Linda im sure their is more people out there that had no problems. It's the not knowing and after care for me. There should be more input before the op so you are more aware and explanation about after the op.. To me it has helped a great deal knowing its not just me. I feel happier now I know what to maybe expect and not worry as much. Onwards and upwards.
  • Posted

Hi Linda, i am very happy with my TKR. I am 50 and I am 9 weeks post op today and it is one of the best things I have done. I was as many people on here were, total bone on bone, absoloute agony, on two morphine drugs, amitriptyline, anti- inflammatorys and two other pain meds, my life was horrible and i was getting further deressed through lack of being able to do anything.

From i came round the pain was totally different, sore but a different sore. Yes it has been hard from day  1 to today but so worth it. Noone really prepares you for what will happen, you don't hear about the swelling, the scar really hurting and becoming inflammed, needing to ice it, elevate it, lack of sleep but thats what everyone on here has helped me with and helped me get this far. I was so glad I found this site as so many people here are brilliant.

One thing I was told by my physio and anesthetist was to keep on top of pain relief, dont get sore, in hospital ask for pain relief and at home take it regularly.

I still have bad days but am having good days too now, pottering round and tidying which I have not wanted to do for so long. I hope it goes well for you. My other knee is starting to go same way so I know eventually I will need it done too but am now aware what is infront of me.

Let us know how you get on. Have you got a date yet?

S xx

• Posted

Hi Linda!

I, too, am 64. My left knee was replaced last June, and my right knee was replaced last October. Both were total knee replacements.

Prior to surgery my x-rays showed BONE-ON-BONE with no cartilage left. I was in a lot of pain. I had reached the point of wondering if AMPUTATION might be the best recourse for me! ( I have seen amputees with those amazing Cheetah Leg prostheses running MARATHONS.)

I expected more run-arounds from my insurance company, but was pleasantly surprised when my doctor said I FINALLY was a candidate for Total Knee Replacements! I booked my first one before I left the office that day!

My surgery went well with no complications. The nerve block took care of the PAIN at the incision site, and the pain shots of Toradol took care of the rest while I was in the hospital. I was up by the evening to stand briefly. Was dizzy and faint but DID IT. Was calling the nurse for the bedpan every twenty minutes or so because I was drinking water to flush out toxins s from the medications and from the anesthesia.

I had LOTS of swelling with my first leg but minimal with my second. Each KNEE is different with different healing patterns, I guess.

My physical therapy began the next morning. Standing, walking a few feet with the walker, sitting in the chair, etc. were the first "exercises". My right leg experience was MUCH EASIER all the way around for some reason. I was surprised at this because my right leg had ALWAYS been my most painful of the two.

Maybe I am the odd one out here, but I can honestly say that my pain BEFORE surgery was LOTS WORSE than my pain AFTER surgery. Yes, there was discomfort, but actual pain FOR ME was much less than I had been enduring for the first five years prior to surgery.

As for visiting this site, I have found it EXTREMELY helpful to hear everyone's stories about their experiences. Although some have had HORRENDOUS complications and I have felt SO BAD for them, I have also found the whole gamut of experiences, too, which has been very interesting.

I have appreciated the time that everyone has taken to explain how things went for them. I have also enjoyed telling MY STORY in holes that it may help others.

I am VERY pleased that I had my knees replaced! I have some pain from time-to-time, but it is NOTHING compared to what I endured for the five years prior to surgery! I can shop for hours without pain. I worked in my yard for six hours a couple days ago getting my grass cut and trimmed and preparing soil for planting my garden. I stood talking to my neighbor for an hour. Prior to surgery I would have had to cut short each of these activities due to pain. No more!

This is my take on things.

I hope it gives yet another perspective to help you.

Wishing you much success as you move forward in your journey!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, I agree with you, I am only 9 weeks and can see the differences, things I have not been able to do for nearly five years too. I am just looking forward to walking again which I have missed with my wee dog for so long, at the moment ill not risk taking her but very soon.

Post op I was not up thankfully till next morning (24 hrs post op) and walked 6 steps with walker...slept 2 hours after ha ha. I luckly had a catheder in so did not need bed pan, just as well as nurse said she had never sen someone drink so much water.

A hard road but a very wothwhile one, not with out its bumps but they are getting there. I too know I will need my other one done but thankfully at the moment is holding its own. Consultant says he will check it at my one year check for other knee.

Take care xx

• Posted

Glad you are doing well!

Yes, there are good days and some not-so-good days with this procedure, but I am SO THANKFUL I did have my surgeries!

We have our first grandchild now, and I can stand and hold her CONFIDENTLY. I would not have been able to do that before my surgeries. I was just in too much pain BEFORE and VERY UNSTABLE, too.

Also, our youngest son is getting married in September. I feel confident that I will be able to stand in the receiving line, walk around outside, and DANCE without worrying about PAIN.

I listened to my body. I listened to my PT. I got off narcotics after just two weeks because they made me LOOPY. I prayed A LOT. I tried to stay positive and calm.

It was ALL very worth it to me!

Wishing you continued success in your recovery! Stay positive, and look for small improvements that add up to BIG joys!

• Posted

Ahh I am sure you are glad you can enjoy your grandchild and have a wedding to look forward to. My middle child, son,  is getting married but not till next year so I will be well on my feet by then.

I too listened to my body and got off the narcotics in about 3 weeks. I take it quit easy and just do my physio, go for a 20-5 min walk and do 25 mins on static bike. My house is like a tip, I have started doing bits and pieces but find get tired very easily, although husband has been good he has eased off now and the children (21,23,25) all at home feel Mum is at home all day it is up to mum, very frustrating. 

I am trying to stay positive, calm and the house can wait. If they want someting done they can do it,  I have prayed a lot too, think i went under praying, I was so scared and I am really thankful for this chance to get back to some sort of normality.

Thank you for your lovely words, I am going to stay positive, this means so much to me, I'm only 50, and i am going to take my time epecially going back to work.

Enjoy that wee bundle of joy xx

• Posted

Yes, I know what you mean about family and their expectations! I did a lot out of sheer stubbornness, but I also quit when I got tired. It's just my husband and me at home now, and he was pretty helpful, but as soon as he saw I could walk and reach and bend, he left me to it. (I think maybe I shouldn't have showed how much I could do so soon!😄)

I got tired sooner than usual but found that strength increased overall the more I just got up and MOVED.

Yes, take your time if possible planning your return to work. At work you probably can't nap when you should!😁

Keep in touch, OK?

• Posted

Thank you Cheryl, I am a teaching assistant, would love to see the kids faces if i had a nap ha ha biggrin  

I will keep in touch thank you xx

• Posted

I'm a former first grade teacher, now RETIRED. 😁

Yes, could certainly be fun...especially if the principal came to visit...😯

• Posted

That now I would love to record her reaction to a pile 5 year olds all round me and me asleep. Could do it and then say oh dear really not ready to come back to work! Ha ha

Made my night, thank you xx

• Posted

Of course the chance of actually falling asleep while among a bunch of five years olds is pretty much slim to none UNLESS you all were pretending to be BEARS who were very, very TIRED bears ready to hibernate...

💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤

It could work!🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻

• Posted

That's an idea for the role play area now!!!

Thank you Cheryl you cheered me up as I have been feeling a bit sorry for myself the past couple days. xx

• Posted

Sure thing!😄

I think that emotions just ebb and flow, and healing is always taking place over quite a long time with this surgery which means we are ebbing and flowing for quite a few months!🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

When I get a bit pensive I get a nice glass of ice water or iced tea to hydrate. I go walk outside and appreciate how much better my legs feel THIS YEAR compared to LAST YEAR at this time before both of my surgeries.

I read over my journal entries to prove to myself how far I have come in my journey. Most of all I thank God for giving me the courage and strength to undertake such a life-changing challenge such as Total Knee Replacement surgery!

Keep visiting this site. There will always be some new insight here that will lift your spirits. It is a great group of people from all over the world who REALLY "get it" and know first hand about the experience.

Best of all there are individuals here who are at all different stages of the process! It's like having a big reunion of people to gain ideas from who have travelled the same path or soon will travel that path. Those at the far end can offer help to all coming his/her way. New ones on the path offer opportunities to those who have passed that point of offering suggestions and supporting the new ones.

Glad to be of help! Know that YOU are helping someone out there just by expressing your concerns! It always helps to know that others are going through similar things and having emotions that pop up from time to time!

Have a happy day!🙌😊🙋😄🙌

• Posted

Everyone has helped me so much on here. After I found this site, mentally I felt so much better. Still frustrating at time (knee straight is frustrating). But we will all get there with the help of God and out Internet reunions on here.
    • Posted

This site is good for a number of things:

1. When you feel like something isn't right and you can ask questions without feeling stupid;

2. Just to vent your frustrations when things don't seem to be going your way; and lastly

3. You can have a laugh when sometimes all you want to do is cry!!!

😭😂 in the blink of an eye!!! X

• Posted

So happy to hear that the site has helped you, too! It has been a great comfort to me as well.

I think I will be practicing the bending and straightening for a long time to come! I put my legs up on the ottoman when I read or watch TV. As I'm straightening, I flex my quad muscles. This helps me walk better, too, by retraining my legs to stop the bending I did for all those painful pre-surgery years.

Have a great day, and come often to let us know how things are going for you.

This is a nice big KNEE FAMILY!

🙌😊🙋😁🙌☺😊🙌🙋😁😃😉🙋🙌😊

• Posted

Very well put!!!

So happy to have everyone!

💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗

• Posted

Very well said folks, with Cheryl cheering me up this morning, then a friend from work called and took me out for lunch my day has been good so far.

Clarkey what you said is all so true, I have been so down some days (lots) and people have cheered me up even after having a rant. Also any niggles we think are silly maybe are not and others help us with them.

Thanks everyone xx

• Posted

I bet we can't even remember what the original question was because we've gone from doom and gloom to falling asleep with 5 year olds!!!

Who needs professionals!!!! 😂😂😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.