Is anyone happy with TKR?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi everyone.....I'm 64, I've had a total hip replacement 12 months ago and I'm now awaiting a total knee replacement, (on same side),  but having read the forums on here, it appears to be all doom and gloom!  Has ANYONE got a good thing to say about their experience of TKR?  

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Linda I am 18 months after tkr and it has changed my life. Yes it is a very painful operation and they don't prepare you for the sleeplessness, pain in the early days.   Once you start reaping the rewards. ie not walking bone on bone, able to walk like you never have before you will realise it was worth it.   I for one am very glad I had it done, 
    • Posted

I promise you, you will.   Those first six months are the hardest though.  After that things settle down and get easier.   I can walk 10 miles without resting now.  I couldn't walk 50 yards without sitting down before.   It's lovely to be pain free and to be able to go things you haven't been able to do before.   I also lost weight which helped.  I'm healthier and happier than before. 
  • Posted

Hi Linda I am 14 months post op with left knee am very pleased with it took a while to get there and I had my right knee done 7 weeks ago so going through it all again hopefully be saying the same about this one when I reach 14 months but just so happy to get rid of the bone on bone pain that I have suffered good luck with your op you will get plenty of good advice and support on this site
  • Posted

Linda

It may seem "All doom and gloom" but for some of us, this Forum is the only place we can come where someone understands the pain, depression, sleeplessness and general misery that this surgery can cause. There comes a time when our friends' and families' eyes glaze over, as theyve been listening to us for days/weeks/months and cant understand why we're still not "better". We help each other, and in turn that can help us ourselves. It also helps that we share "hints and tips" with people still to undergo the surgery, as many of us have gone through this process multiple times.

Good luck with your surgery, hopefully youll be one of the lucky ones who sails through with bending and straightening coming easily and with little or no pain.

Terri - Right TKR 14 months and left TKR 6 1/2 months.

• Posted

Well said terri this forum is really useful with people who know what you have been through helping each other x
  • Posted

Linda,  I am 14 weeks po and YES, I am glad I had a TKR. I am 55 and am a very active person.  I will be even happier months from now when I have healed more.  It was fun last night to play outside with my4 yr old grandson, he said hey, Nana...is your broken leg fixed.  I told him yes, the doctor fixed it, but it still has some healing to do.

I still have healing pains and some swelling, however the bone on bone pain is gone.  The early days of recovery are hard, it is painful, hard to sleep....etc, but YES I already am happy I had this done.

Pam

• Posted

Linda,  this surgery is way more invasive than a hip replacement.  I have a girl friend 61 that had a hip replacement 1 month before my surgery.  At 6 weeks po she was bringing me meals.  My GP told me prior to surgery.....and he had a hip replacement in January....you know the TKR recovery will be much harder.  It is harder and the progress of your recover is totally on you.

pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.