Is anyone in the world still taking Dosulepin??

Posted , 75 users are following.

HI,

I was wondering if anyone can help me here? I have been taking the tricyclic antidepressant dosulepin for the past 12 years. Last year I started reading stuff on the internet about it causing heart problems for people and that it wasn't being prescribed anymore. My doctor had never mentioned this to me. But I was worried so I went to my doctor to ask if I should change to another newer pill. She said she thought it was a good idea and switched me onto mirtazapine. To cut a long story short my anxiety and depression rocketed and I thought I was going to die so after a month I had no choice but to go back on dosulepin again. I had deteriorated so much that it literally took 4 months before I started to feel in any way well again.

Anyway I have now been back on dosulepin for 5 months and I know that I will have to take it for the rest of my life as it is the only drug that can help me. But I am starting to worry about the fact that NOONE seems to be prescribed it nowadays and everything on the internet seems to relate to how dangerous it is. I am frightened that I am on a drug that might give me a heart attack.

The doctor says I can have an EGC to check my heart but even if it comes back ok I think I will still worry about the fact that I have to take it daily for ever.

Please is there anyone on here that Is on dosulepin or another of the tricyclic's and if so do you have any information on the associated heart risks?

Thank you

Lisa

6 likes, 196 replies

196 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lisa

I have been taking Dosulepin for several years now. It was given to me as part anti-depressant and part muscle relaxant as i suffer with neck pain. Initially i was taking 75mg at night but for the last couple of years i was taking 25mg.  I have come back from the doctors today after being diagnosd with depression and she recommended that i up my tablets to 50mg and try that for 2 weeks and see how i go. She did say to me that it was a rarely used tablet and that she was quite surprised that i was given it, she also added that it was ok to use and nothing to worry about. This is the first time i heard of it being uncommon and now im a little concerned aswell.

Regards Kerry

• Posted

Hi there

I was prescribed this today as a relaxant to reduce bruxism (teeth grinding) he said it was an old fashioned anti depressant, which could also be used to treat my condition. In his experience it's been very successful. And he was happy for me to take it alongside Fluoxetine. Will let you know how I get on.

• Posted

Hi there

I have just been prescribed today this for bruxism teeth grinding too after seeing a consultant at hospital. I was interested to know how you are getting on with this tablet from I believe this post to be over a year ago. Your reply and advice on has this helped your teeth grinding would be v much appreciated as like you have the same problem.

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi Lisa

I have read you post and all of the other posts to date. I have been taking Dosulepin for about 7 yrs and for about 5years continually for depression/anxiety ( I was given this one as I used to take amitrytilene for neck pain and dosulepin is the same group of anti d's that help nerve/muscle pain). I take 150mg at and like the others I have been having a problem getting the 75mg and have been having to take 6x25mg.

I am a bit taken aback as I have not heard or read anything about any medical problems with this tablet just that the manufacturers are not making the 75mg at the moment. I have spoken to several pharmacists at a Boots in Bristol and all they are telling me is that there is a 'problem in manufacturing '. I think I need to check this out with my GP but have found this forum really useful ...I am a little concerned that it may be suggested that I come off  these meds and that scares me, as i sometimes dont sleep too well with 150mgs so not sure how well I would sleep without any at all and then the anxiety and depression would just kick in again. Good luck to everybody and i will keep a check to se what the update is.

• Posted

Hi

So pleased to have found this forum. I've been taking Dosulepin 75-150mg for 20 years with no problems & last year my GP told me I had to come off it due to NICE guidelines concerning its effect on the heart. During the past year I've cut down from 150mg to 25mg & have been trying to switch to an alternative antidepressant but with no success as yet. Ssri's were no good as I couldn't sleep on them, mirtazapine made me irritable & sleep all day, lofepramine literally turned my head upside down & kept me awake all night & trazodone was little more than a sleeping or antianxiety pill even at 150mg. So after all this I've been at my wits end thinking my life was over as my GP is refusing to prescribe dosulepin anymore. She doesn't know what's happening with their manufacture but says there's a possibility they may not be available in future. Although my pharmacy is still supplying them at the moment. She has now prescribed me amitryptaline which I'm hopeful about as it's supposed to be similar to dosulepin. I found an article on dosulepin risk to heart which may be useful which I ll post below but I wouldn't worry about it too much as this drug has been around since the 60s & many people have taken it without a problem so I'm fairly sure the risk is pretty small. Here's the link anyway. This article was written in 2001 so theyve known about the risk for at least a decade & not withdrawn the drug or anything so surely it can't be that dangerous.

http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-dosulepin-link-with-ischaemic-heart-disease/20005074.article

Will report back on how amitryptaline compares to dosulepin in case anyone's interested.

• Posted

After being on Dosulepin like some of you guys for years, I have been told categorically that it's no longer available. At least through orthodox routes.

Today I went to see my psychiatrist of thirty years standing. She's been treating me for insomnia all this time mainly with dosulepin.

She wants me to try Loferamine but judging by what's said here it won't work.

I have also COPD and I wonder what effect it will have on that. I'm seeing my heart and lung team on Weds and I'll discuss it with them.

I've recently had a total hip replacement and it's hit me really hard. I've been terribly depressed - off the dosulepin for two months because of the other pain killing medication - and I'm wishing I hadn't had it done.

Glad to have found this forum and thanks for all your information.

• Posted

Hi 

Potential good news for all of us who need our dosulepin smile Went back to my GP as amitriptyline was nothing like dosulepin & made me massively anxious, & after telling her I felt like my life was over as i can't tolerate the side effects of the other antidepressants i've tried, she prescribed Duloxetine but said I can go back on Dosulepin if Duloxetine doesn't work. Both 75mg & 25mg Dosulepin are still in stock at the pharmacy & neither my GP nor the pharmacist knew what's happening with their manufacture. I even rang the drugs company & they can only confirm their manufacture up to 3 months ahead but that goes for any drug. Apparently they are still making them for now at least with no plans to stop doing so in next 3 months. So from my experience you should still be able to carry on with dosulepin if there's no other option. Also Heather, lofepramine didn't help me sleep when i took it at night but if insomnia is a problem I've heard some people take it in the daytime instead to get round this side effect. If yr doctor won't prescribe dosulepin until you've tried alternatives, the other antideps I found helpful for sleep were trazodone & mirtazapine. Mirt was the best sedative but it zonked me out all day too so I couldn't put up with this long term.Trazodone helped me relax but the side effects of nasal congestion & queasiness was annoying. But obviously everyone's different so don't let my experience put you off! If Duloxetine is any good for sleep or similar to dosulepin I will let you know.

• Posted

Hi Lisa-Just read your note. I took Dothep for 10 years and loved it. I had 3  SVT attacks-racing heart- and changed to Effexor (which isnt as good).  I am 67 and am told it isnt reccomended for people in that age group because of the heart rythm poblem. Both my sons take it and it helps them a lot.

The SVT attacks arent life threatening but do have to be seen to. They arent nice.

DEPRESSION is a CURSE and my sympathy and love to you all. 

• Posted

Yes, I take it as prescribed with a glass or two of wine about 1/2 before going to bed. This reduces my anxiety and causes a good mights sleep. The only apparant side effect is very occassional  sweats during the night.

Bendog

• Posted

Hi Lisa I took Dosulepin for 5 years then came off it and stayed off it for. just over a year. Because of other health issues I have been anxious and depressed again so went to my doctor and she suggested going back on to Dosulepin as it works for me. I got my prescription from Boots and

they seemed to have lots of it in stock and no mention of it being

withdrawn. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Anita,

How long did it take to have results with Dosulepin?

Thanks for your help

• Posted

I hav been on 75mg daily of dosulepin for over 20 years.  My GP has asked me to go to see him today regarding this.  I hope it's not bad news.  I am aware of the potential heart problems but my heart is fine.  It literally saved my life.
    • Posted

I am due to see my doctor on Wednesday morning. I will ask her about the potential heart problems and see what she says. I will then report back but I have only just restarted taking Dosulepin starting on Friday gone so I hope I don't have to come off them as I cannot tolerate SSRIs.
  • Posted

Been to see my GP - he went through all of the side effects, incluindg heart problems and advised that I try SSRIs.  I declined and said I'd rather run the risks of heart problems and dementia when I'm older.  He wants to see me in 2 weeks.
  • Posted

H Lisa362

Just stumbled on this forum, but I have been on Dulsulepin since 1997 as high as 250mg a day to keep me level! Now I'm on 100mg a day and had to learn the hard way that I will be on these for the rest of my life also!

I always use the same local chemist for these if not all my meds! (two to keep me alive and two to keep me from killing someone  LOL) They keep a small stock but usually I get enough to keep me going for a week whilst they get the rest in.

Scandavian countries have not perscribed these for over 5 yrs as I found out when I ran out (my fault bad day packing for our holiday!) I managed to get by as I was only on 125mg a day and being on holiday I was able to eek out what I had. I believe USA has removed them as well but not sure.

My doctor is aware but like you I cant have the standard SRRI's make me worse and is angry all the time!

My family has a history of heart disease so I try my best to eat healthy (not easy on dodgy days!)

But my chemist doesn't seem to be to bothered at the moment and will tell me if or when they are running out, same as my doctor. I am trying to find a way to lower my dosage but cant at the moment to much stress at home and work!

Try not to worry too much, whilst there is a call for these dare I say old fashioned anti D's are not good or not safe etc etc if they are working for you and you can get them just concentrate on being well as you can, I was told over 5 yrs ago that they are not being made anymore, but apart from the odd delay I'm still getting them albeit a huge bag as my doctor still prescribes me as if I'm on 200 odd a day! If they work for you which it sounds like they do. Just be kind to yourself and accept you are one of the chosed few who need the good old fashioned ones :O)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.