Is AUD heriditary ?

Posted , 12 users are following.

This question really interests me. I've read articles where some experts claim it is, some say about predisposition and others say it's not.

The reason it interests me is I was adopted when I was six weeks old. My adopted parents hardly ever drank although there was always drink in the house as they did a lot of entertaining. I didn't grow up seeing people drinking heavily or being told alcohol was evil, the demon drink.

I was an only very happy child, no childhood traumas, all in all lots of friends and very confident.

I knew from a very young child that I was adopted and it was never an issue until I had my first child. How could anyone get rid of a baby, just hand it over because she didn't want it, some dirty secret, out of site out of mind.

I have three children, adults now, who I obviously adore and there's no way I'd have given them away. My confidence disappeared, I had low self esteem, thought I was useless at everything. After all my birth mother didn't want me, so there must be something wrong with me.

To cut a long story short, I tracked down my biological mother and contact was made through a social worker. I must stress that at any time did I want a relationship with her. I purely wanted to find my identity and to see this person who didn't want me.

She was Irish, married and I had 3 half sisters. Anyway a meeting was arranged and I met her, along with one sister. My biological father died from liver failure,due to alcohol. My biological mother had a brother and sister with AUD, along with several cousins.

Paul, if you read this, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject, and anyone else's 

thanks

2 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I defintely believe that genetics are a factor and there are a number of different genes involved, some of which have been identified. People already have the pre-disposition to AUD in them and it gets kicked off when they start drinking. Different genes are involved and the most effective treatment for a person may depend on the genetics involved in their case.

It is worth reading the book 'A Prescription For Alcoholics' by Linda Burlison, if you want to know more because she goes into the different genes involved and what medications have been shown to be more effective for each one.

• Posted

I've just downloaded it onto my kindle. Something nice and light to read on the plane on Saturday! I always manage somehow to get the largest, smelliest, boring person on the plane sitting next to me. It's usually a solo male who invades my personal space as they're too large to fit in just their own seat lol! They persist in talking constantly about utter drivel, so I'll nip that in the bud and make sure he knows what I'm reading.

on a serious note, many thanks Paul and I look forward to reading it.

• Posted

I think that issue was all cleared up, RHGB. I suppose there is a fine line between resources which are self-promoting and those which are useful to the people here. The moderators don't have an easy job of sifting through stuff to ensure we are not getting spammed all the time but this particular book is excellent and helpful to anyone having alcohol issues or, in my case, working with people who do.
    • Posted

I think the free offer was only for the first week, Nicole. I got it to my iPhone by installing the Kindle app on there. It wasn't available on iBooks where I normally get books to read on my phone. The Kindle app is free but I'm pretty sure you'll have to pay for the book now.
    • Posted

A few questions, when did you get it, have you read it all and what bits stand out as either useful or something new that you learnt?

I would be interested in your thoughts, as I tend to read books like this and I spend so much time travelling to hospital appointments and in waiting areas, I can easily do a book in a few days - such as one appointment at Stratford hospital today/yesterday (the alcohol centre is actually at the hosiptal) and two separate appointments at Warwick hospital next week.

The only difference is I have to have the paperback book, I can't be doing with electronic devices. I tried that ten years ago when I wanted to read a copy of a book that had been banned and the only way I could get a copy was electronic ebook type thing (paid for) and I hated it.

• Posted

I used to be like you with kindles. Wasn't interested, and showed no interest. Not the same as a good old book.

wasnt until I was stuck on the sofa, waiting for a shoulder reconstruction and after that I changed my mind

• Posted

I got it during the week when it was free, the first few days it was released.

It is written about the American system but refers often to Europe. That didn't put me off as what America does, in this field, Britain appears to follow (AA and Rehab).

It starts by looking at the current system which is very AA (12 Step) dominated and questions the fact that this has prevented medical treatments being developed (because doctors simply say 'go to AA') It makes some very interesting points, particularly that it hasn't changed its ideology since it started in 1939, and also mentions that Bill Wilson who started it said, at the time, that we only have this now but later there will be medical treatments and we should embrace those.' However, AA moved away from this idea and many AA groups are totally anti-medication.

It then looks at genetics. The different genes involved in people who become alcohol-dependent. It considers two different types of alcohol addiction. Type B - Early onset and Type A - Late onset. Again considering the genetic factors involved. Type B starts early in a  person's drinking 'career' (because of the buzz a person gets from alcohol) and Type A tends to start later in life and it is often the case that people with this type drink to deal with other issues like anxiety and depression.

It then looks at the different drugs which have been shown to help people (and there are quite a few). It mentions the effectiveness of each according to the genes involved (this was totally new stuff for me).

The end of the book tells the story of the author's friend who inspired her to write the book after he, unfortunately, failed to deal with his illness and committed suicide.

There is a lot of technical information about medical treatments of Alcohol Use Disorder and I will be referring to it again so it is a good reference book too. But it was also good for me (as a professional working in the field) to read it from cover to cover. I imagine a person with their own alcohol issue would be selective , reading the parts that they felt referred to their own particular type of drinking.

It IS on sale as a paperback but will cost you more than three times the price of the electronic version. I read everything on my phone these days as that is always with me and, in waiting rooms and any other time that I am hanging around doing nothing, I can simply open any book on my phone and start reading.

• Posted

Right, I have the paperback turning up tomorrow, so that I have it for next week, as I'm just about to finish a book (yes I know its old) How to stop your doctor killing you (Vernon Cole).

I will be holding you responsible for the purchase which was on your recommendation, if it turns out to be duff.

• Posted

Take the blame, take the blame, don't forget I know where you work, and we're only at opposite ends of the county. lol

I'll give you a report next week, I've just had my NHS reminder text to remind me I'm in for my minor op 9:00am sharp at Warwick hospital.

• Posted

I am confident you will find it interesting so not too worried smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.