Is AUD heriditary ?

Posted , 12 users are following.

This question really interests me. I've read articles where some experts claim it is, some say about predisposition and others say it's not.

The reason it interests me is I was adopted when I was six weeks old. My adopted parents hardly ever drank although there was always drink in the house as they did a lot of entertaining. I didn't grow up seeing people drinking heavily or being told alcohol was evil, the demon drink.

I was an only very happy child, no childhood traumas, all in all lots of friends and very confident.

I knew from a very young child that I was adopted and it was never an issue until I had my first child. How could anyone get rid of a baby, just hand it over because she didn't want it, some dirty secret, out of site out of mind.

I have three children, adults now, who I obviously adore and there's no way I'd have given them away. My confidence disappeared, I had low self esteem, thought I was useless at everything. After all my birth mother didn't want me, so there must be something wrong with me.

To cut a long story short, I tracked down my biological mother and contact was made through a social worker. I must stress that at any time did I want a relationship with her. I purely wanted to find my identity and to see this person who didn't want me.

She was Irish, married and I had 3 half sisters. Anyway a meeting was arranged and I met her, along with one sister. My biological father died from liver failure,due to alcohol. My biological mother had a brother and sister with AUD, along with several cousins.

Paul, if you read this, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject, and anyone else's 

thanks

2 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm not sure why my message has gone for moderation but I don't see any reason why it won't be approved, VickyLou., so it should appear later.
  • Posted

Hello Vickylou.  I hope today is good, for you.

Thank you for sharing your story.  It is a complex one.  I am glad you have come through it.  You are a good person... beyond value !

I believe there is a genetic link with Alcohol Use Disorder( I just learned the term AUD on this Forum, too.), because of relatives'  behaviour.  I don't blame the genes for my behaviour.  I made lots of wrong choices.  I blame the genes for the "craving the effect".  

Neither of my Irish parents drank much... just a social thing.  The same bottles were taken out of the cupboard, the following year, for celebrations.  I was born and brought up in U.K., distanced from relatives.  I saw "drinking behaviour" when on holidays to visit family.  I must say... they were brilliant fun !  Anyway, there are alcoholics on both sides of the family.  One of my Dad's brothers was never seen sober.  One of my brothers is in denial of alcoholism... everybody knows, except him.

So, I think there is an AUD gene.  I could drink a ridiculous amount of alcohol in the past.  I am finding it very hard to taper down, just now.  Great intentions, then blip after blip.  It is blipping murder ! The tablet is working, yet I still try for "the effect". Every drink is a disappointment...but I still try.  I am so fed op with this state I'm in... crying again... sad life.  Sorry Vickylou, I always end up wallowing in self-pity.

Alonangel

• Posted

Ive always believed alcoholism is herediatry...nothing will change my mind. smile and it will be proved someday...not only alcoholism...but the addiction..
    • Posted

Well stated, Misssy.  It is so hard to put it into words.  Is it alcohol ? Is it addiction ?  A gene link, from way back, makes sense to me.  I don't like the taste or smell of alcohol... yet I drink alcohol... too much... I cannot get enough of it.  Trying to taper down is hard.  I know that I am an alcoholic.  I just can't fix me !  So sick of it all. I hate myself. I hate my weakness. 

Sorry about the rant...

• Posted

You can start to fix yourself....baby steps...you can't expect everything to happen all at once...it took me many times before achieving 8 years....and it has taken me many times in the last 2 years...to achieve what i have today..60 days....you just can't stop trying...and you can't BELIEVE that you can't be fixed.

​You can be....you just have to keep trying.  One of these times...it will work...but there is no chance if you give up.

• Posted

Thanks for that advice, Misssy.  I won't give up.  I have to keep trying.  I believe this medication will help me, but I am just having a battle with my addiction to "the effect" of alcohol.  I miss it.  I drank today ... without the tablet... I know, madness.  Anyway, no "effect", there must have been enough med. in system to block it.  What the heck...I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  I feel like going to shop for another bottle of wine.  I hate myself, so much.  I am my own greatest disappointment. Why is it like this for us?  I am not a bad person.  I am an alcoholic. I HATE IT ! I want to be me.  I don't know who I am anymore. God help me.  Sorry, Misssy... I am very sick.  Sorry.  Thanks for caring.

Blessings on you,

Alonangel

• Posted

Alonagel

Make a promise to yourself you will religiously keep taking the pill from tommorow.Dont worry about how much you are drinking,don't beat yourself up about it.Its a slow process but just keep at it

• Posted

Thanks, Nicole.  I didn't go for more.  I'll be back to the medication tomorrow.  

What a carry on !

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

I understand not wanting to take the tablet to get the real affect of the alcohol.  That is why I know I can't take the tablet at all because I knew I would "skip" it and end up back where I was....its normal...and it s*cks...that you couldn't get the effect that you wanted because the pill is still in your system. 

​But, it does seem like a valid way to cut down on your drinking and just the fact that you did not go to the store again...proves it is working even if it is not as comfortable as you would like it to be. 

​Maybe if you just keep taking the pill...the pleasure from drinking will get less and less...to the point where you don't even bother and by that point...you may have other activities that you are now doing without alcohol...that will fill up your time enough to become abstinant.

• Posted

Thanks Misssy.  I am doing ok today.  I took my tablet and waited 2 hours before drinking alcohol.  I feel weird without the "effect"!  It is a real stumbling block.  I have to get used to this, because that is how it works.  I don't want any more, just now.  I should be happy about that.  It is a big  change for me.  The habit is so strong, I think I should want more.  It doesn't make sense.  I will have to work on doing other activities to distract myself.  I am fairly obsessed with drink.  How are you ?

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

I'm the same,drinking and not knowing why I don't want to drink the second glass but drinking it anyway because it's a habit.

It's a slow learning process

• Posted

Hi Nicole,

Please remind me of where you are in "the battle".  I think my brain may be more bamboozled than I realise.  I have had more wine since I last posted.  Now, was that due to real need... or habit?  The medication is really blocking the "effect" that I want.  So, why do I still think I should have more.  It is a pain in the elbow !

It is a no learning process, for me, at this point. 'Must improve !

I hope you are doing well.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

I'm like you misssy, I've got the tablets but not taken them. For me, it's the effect of the alcohol I like rather than the taste. So if the effect isn't there, then why bother taking the tablets.
    • Posted

Well my medical battle goes back to last August when I started on baclofen but that's a whole other story.

I got naltrexone from a private doctor quite a while ago and started on that for about 2 weeks but this week I finally got somewhere with local alcohol services and have been prescribed Nalmefene.So basically I'm about 3 weeks in so far

• Posted

I love the taste of alcohol,even when I first tasted it about 8 I knew I liked it(it was ouzo I think)

As the years went on my tastes changed and I now love wine,wine and a nice meal...(not much to ask is it)

• Posted

To look after your health and help to cut down a little?
    • Posted

I am 4 weeks with Nalmefene.  Would you post your progress to me?  I am up and down... like a yo-yo !  I know it is not a "fast fix" answer, but I get so frustrated... no patience.  I hope it is the "thing" for you... as for me.  I am running out of chances... truth hurts !  I am happy to share my Selincro Story, too.  Please God... we will win the war with alcohol.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Yes of course,went out this lunchtime to meet friends for lunch,had just under a bottle of wine. came home and I've poured myself a large glass of wine and taken it up to bed with me (I have to be up at 4.30 for work) and am not compelled to neck it.Probably will though.And that's the next thing to learn,not to do things just by habit
    • Posted

I did that with the cigarette pill....It made my cigs taste like crap....so I just stopped taking the pill....like RHGB refers too..its really not a good idea for us to quit things that help us...but I GET IT.  And I have done it...and I know I would do it with this pill for alcohol too.
    • Posted

Nearly 2am here. No idea if your asleep or awake. all asleep here. Taxi to airport due at 4am.

just wanted to see if you're feeling any better xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.