Is facial numbness, tingling, pins and needles a side effect?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Please help me. Dosage has been increased to 300 mg from 225 mg for last 3 weeks because I have slipped back into a depression.  I'm still depressed.  Also, I fluctuate between being too cold or too hot.  My feet are always cold. My face and tongue are numb and tingly.  My heart rate is elevated to 126 bpm.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am just fine on my 225 Mgs.  I went on it 14 years ago for acute anxiety..I am fne now and have been fine since I started taking it.... What frightens me is stopping it.  I have read that it is extremely hard to get off of it, and that the withdrawal symptoms are just horrible. 
    • Posted

Yes apparently you shouldnt go cold turkey coming off and should taper slowly but your gp would guide you.
    • Posted

Not a thing.  I am fine and I am on no other medications.  My blood pressure is perfect and all is fine...The only reason I want to get off of this drug is because I constantly sweat.  And I mean SWEAT! Buckets!!  It is embarrassing.  . And I live in Florida which makes it even worse. I keep my air-conditioner so cold that my electtic bill is very high.. ...I went on this Patient site to see if anyone else had this and  sooooo many people do...I hate it..But after what I read, I am terrified of going off. Every single person has awful withdrawal symptoms even when they wean very, very slowly....
  • Posted

That dose is very high, i would see your gp as ven can cause high bp as a side effect, have you checked the leaflet inside for common and rare side effects.
    • Posted

It is a high dosage.  I see my Dr. tomorrow.  I have checked out rare side effects. There is nothing in the literature, although when I google 'facial numbness' , venlafaxine comes up.  I also talked to my pharmacist who couldn't find anything. 

• Posted

Have definitely got the hot/cold thing as part of the weaning myself off. What I have found is that my hand spasms are much worse than when I was on Effexor. I have found that my BP is now back to normal since starting to wean myself off. Next step for me is coming off the BP meds but one step at a time. Mood is very low a lot of the time but I have set myself small things to do each day and accept that there are days I don't want to do anything but someone gave me a knitting pattern for muffs for the local old folks homes - bog standard plain knitting and mindless which helps me to feel I am accomplishing something. I have noticed that I am getting a lot of mouth ulcers so maybe this is akin to your tongue thing. Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Maggie Purple was talking about taking a higher dosage, not about weaning off of it..She is having side effects while on the drug. I had none, but I am afraid to stop it...
    • Posted

Yep, know this, but still thought worth responding as symptoms seem to vary so much. I think it interesting that some withdrawal symptoms mirror increase in dose symptoms. This drug never ceases to amaze me. Sorry, I did not make this clear.  
    • Posted

I find that interesting, too. I also find it interesting that no one else, so far, has this numbness and elevated heart rate.  My blood pressure is low/normal. 
  • Posted

This is a horrible drug! I am finally off it, but still are not back to normal. I was given it for pain from a pinched nerve. I kept splitting the pills and every week went down a dose. I am on 10mg of Fluoxatine and read about Turmeric with  curcumin and bought it today. I will let you know if it works. Go to a good vitamin store - they are very knowledgable. They hear these complaints all the time and know what works. Good luck.
    • Posted

Venlafaxinne is not a pain killer.  It is an anti-depressant.  Why were you given that for pain???  Makes no sense....
    • Posted

My Dr wanted to put me on Cymbalta which is for pain and depression. It would have cost me $200 so he told me Venlafaxine worked well for pain. It did, but I got aches and leg cramps. I then wanted to off them and I did slowly and I am off them. I still feel a little light headed and the leg cramps haven't gone away get. I do water aerobics and do feel better afterwards. I do a lot of water walking.

• Posted

WOW.  I never heard of this before....I have been on Venlafaxine 225 mgs. for 14 years. It was for acute anxiety and it helped a lot.  It never helped me if I was in pain though.  I had a hysterectomy while on Venlafaxine and they gave me pain killers for the after surgery pain..My only complaint is the sweating....
    • Posted

That is interesting. I never associated my leg cramps with Effexor.

I have severe pain in head and neck and found that Diazipam and pain killers taken together work well. The muscles and nerves relax because of the diazipam giving relief which apparently makes the painkillers more effective. I wonder if this is where Doc (in part) was coming from though Effexor seems quite extreme when there are so many other options out there. The more I hear the more fascinating this drug becomes. 

Just to say, I have lost about 3 lbs since starting to reduce dose. Got to day 8 this week before I took my 'fix' - spent a couple of very tearful days beforehand but had to go to work. I do not understand why the manufacturer cannot offer a lower dose than 37.5. It seems to be so powerful that such would make sense. Well to me anyway!!

• Posted

Hi did you suffer from really bad tiredness when you first started to taken Ven. If so when did this stop

Thanks

Neil x

• Posted

Never had tiredness even when I first started taking Venlafaxine. It took away my anxiety which was a good thing.  I have been on it for almost 14 years now...My side effect is sweating...Really sweating badly even when it is cold out...Other than that, I feel fine.
    • Posted

Hi Neil. I am concerned about you. I thought I saw you stated in something else you wrote that this is the 1st med you have tried for your anxiety or depression. This is not a drug to be playing with, especially if it is this first one you have tried. Meds like this one could help you, but they could also mess you up for a long time. Did you get this prescription from a general practitioner, psychiatrist, or someone else? I would like to know why they chose a SNRI and not a SSRI.

My personal experience is that I have taken this med twice and the 2nd time realized it screwed up my ability to go into REM sleep properly and then I was tired throughout the day. I also developed a heart problem while taking this med. Trying to get off of it was a slow and painful process. I have been off for about 2 months now and I think my brain is still a little jumbled if not permanently affected from what has chemically happened to it.

For anyone who is reading this, if your condition is not improved by this medication, more than the side effects are worth, you need to carefully get off of it! The hippocratic oath for a medical doctors is "first do no harm." If this drug is harming you more than helping please question why you are taking it.

• Posted

I have been given Venlafaxine as an antidepressant, but it seems to have increased the pain relief I have from Gabapentin, I searched online to see if there was any proof it had (or my nerve pain had miraculously disappeared) and found a study that showed people on Gabapentin + Venlafaxine had less pain than those on Gabapentin alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.