Is facial numbness, tingling, pins and needles a side effect?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Please help me. Dosage has been increased to 300 mg from 225 mg for last 3 weeks because I have slipped back into a depression.  I'm still depressed.  Also, I fluctuate between being too cold or too hot.  My feet are always cold. My face and tongue are numb and tingly.  My heart rate is elevated to 126 bpm.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hiya Maggie

Thanks for your post sorry I didn't reply sooner. This drug has caused these side effects. However when you start taking a new drug or change the amount your depression can be elevated so please expect this. Depression then causes heart rate increase aches and pains.

My tongue still stings so yeah this is a side effect. I've started a deep breathing technique when I feel anxious it really does help.

Thanks

Neil xx

• Posted

UPDATE - My doctor has reduced my dosage of venlafaxine from 300 mg back to 225 mg.  She added 2 mg of Abilify to my regimen.  The paresthesia has eased considerably.  My depression also seems to be lifting.  I doubt that Abilify is fully responsible after only 2 days.  But I do know that seeing a doctor who took my concerns seriously, gave me a physical examination, and explored treatment options with me was a very positive experience.
    • Posted

That sounds really good Maggie glad you managed to get it sorted. Fingers crossed for the future x
  • Posted

Tingly/numb/warm face is my most prevalent side effect. It's like I've had a local anaesthetic at the dentist. It's not entirely unpleasant. I can live with it. I've had it with 75mg and I am now increasing to 150mg.

• Posted

I've actually started to get a numbness just under my chin, I noticed this when shaving its kind of a weird feeling, hope it goes.

• Posted

Which medicine are you taking?
    • Posted

I am now taking 225 mg. of ven. + 2 mg. Abilify.  I still have the parathesia but my depression is g-o-n-e.  I can't quite believe it.  One of the side-effects of Abilify is insomnia.  I was taking AD meds and zopiclone for sleep all at the same time at 10 p.m. but couldn't get to sleep.  Now taking AD meds at 10 a.m. and zopi. at 10 p.m. Sleeping well.  Don't give up folks.  There's light at the end of the tunnel.  

• Posted

MaggiePurple, I have been on Gabapentin for about 2 weeks & one week ago, I noticed my tongue was numb.  On the tip... It has been AWFUL! Its ALL I think about... day in, day out.. I STOPPED taking it... Cold Turkey.  I see my Pain mgt Dr soon & Im telling her NO WAY. Ill suffer with the pain.  I was beginning to think I was imagianing it all .. Hope u are managingconfused

• Posted

Hi Maggie I am on 150mg venlafaxine started of in 75 and I experience facial numbness mainly around my mouth area.... my doctor said this is a side effect of the mess hope this helps .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.