Is fatigue associated with Prednisone reduction in PMR?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, glad to find this site today I am 51 yr old female diagnosed with PMR in Feb. My most recent 2.5 mg reduction in Prednisone from 10 mg to 7.5 mg has brought on some shoulder and neck stiffness and pain but also I am feeling so tired after work. Feeling frustrated because I have been trying to increase my activity. Interestingly, on diagnosis my labs were normal it was by sudden onset symptoms that PMR was diagnosed and treated. Is fatigue expected at this point?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi shelleysinclair, looks like you would be safer with smaller reductions and a longer time between reductions. We all want to be off Pred as soon as possible, but it is safer to take your time, probably short, less painful to reach your goal. Think positive and try to keep smiling. 🙂

• Posted

Can't add anything to what other have already said.  It's not a race to get off pred in a set time scale - we are all different.  I atarted at 30mg and with a couple of ups and downs finally reached zero two and half years later.  The fatigue persist for quite a while after you stop and it will take months to get back to 'normal' plus my muscles are still weak some 7 months after reaching zero but improving slowly.  Keep the faith Shelly!

• Posted

I bombed out when I tried to go from 5 to 4 1/2...so I have been back at 5 for a week and don't feel ready to think about reducing further any time real soon.  Am experiencing really bad fatigue to the point where some evenings I can't do much of anything, barely get myself to bed.

My question is this:  I have stiffness and soreness in my groins and thighs especially in the morning. I walk funny. Some days I can walk a couple blocks at a time before resting, some days only maybe 1/2 block.  So...is this symptomatic of pmr and therefore to be expected,  or does it mean I need to increase pred even more? Thanks...I feel so alone, this forum really helps.

• Posted

Twopies, I believe in pain free, so I would increase one more time, but wait and see what some of the others have to say. I am sure some of the others will jump in. Good luck on the rest of your journey. 🙂

• Posted

If the pain goes away when your pred dose kicks in I'd say stick with 5 for the time being, but don't reduce any more.  If you are never during the day feeling right, you probably do need a slight increase.  Pred doesn't help fatigue and if you don't need it to control PMR symptoms you shouldn't take more, you want your adrenals to start working.  That being said, there is a school of thought that people should stay at 5 mg for a number of months, anything from six months to a year.

Good that you are walking, and also that you aren't pushing yourself beyond what you can do these days.  Keep at it, slow and steady, and you will find that you start to get stronger and develop more stamina.  

• Posted

I'd say you are a bit too low on pred. If I had those symptoms - I'd try a bit more. I don't really hold with a "pain-free" concept - you know what your best was, that's what you are aiming for. Some people simply aren't pain-free. 

• Posted

So maybe 5 1/2 for a week or so...see if there's improvement? And if so, stay there for awhile? Awhile is...??? It sure seems to be a touch and go thing, doesn't it? (Rhetorical question, I know).

• Posted

Very likely!!!!

Even 6mg - see what you need. Then give it a month or two and try a 0.5mg reduction again - that is the sort of pattern to adopt. If you don't quite succeed at the new dose, go back to the old one, wait a bit and try again.

• Posted

If it's any help I've actually found at these lower doses that even a day or two at a slightly increased dose has been helpful.  But I have to concede that this is probably dealing more with pred withdrawal than with actual activity of PMR.  

• Posted

Ever individual and ever case is different. You have to try and learn to listen to your body. How you feel and what and how much you can do. Everyone is going to be different, but you can figure it out. Think positive with a smile. 🙂

• Posted

Sounds like a tough journey for you. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate all the feedback. I don't know anyone else with PMR. No one really knows how I feel. I look almost like my usual self...

• Posted

It really is a mysterious condition. I have yet to figure out my triggers. Dealing with what we don't have control over is frustrating. Good for you to push yourself to do what you can. I too am finding this forum very helpful.

• Posted

I think most of us can relate to that.  Thing is, if you had a broken limb and were sporting a cast you'd get loads of understanding and sympathy.  Even if you just had a rotten cold and looked it, you'd get sympathy.  But mostly we look well, sometimes even better than before, and if someone hasn't had an invisible disease themselves they just can't understand.  Thing is, we have to remind ourselves that we have a disease, and even if others don't appreciate our limitations, we have to.  Treat yourself kindly.

• Posted

Hi. By triggers I mean some days the cold rainy weather, or increased stress at work may make my stiffness and pain more noticable and some days not...
    • Posted

Yes - weather has a big effect on inflammatory rheumatism/arthritis. Lots of people find that stress and PMR/GGCA don't get on together well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.