Is Gastritis common in Perimenopause?

Posted , 36 users are following.

Hi ladies, I have just come to the conclusion that I have Gastritis and I'm wondering if it is a common affliction in perimenopause?

Basically, I am almost 51 and my periods have been regular as clockwork except for one that was 3 weeks late last summer, then a hiccup this January / February, when I had 4 normal periods in 2 months. I was ok until my last period which was about 3 weeks late again. Every month I get bloating as part of PMT. I aslo thought I was getting heartburn every month, until I read it's description and realised my burning pain is in my stomach, not my chest.

Last month my bloating and burning pain didn't subside when my period started and I am still suffering it weeks later and wondering when my next period will start!

When I read a description of Gastritis, I realised it was what I may have had for many months, but usually only during the week before my period. The worst symptom is the gnawing, empty, burning pain in my stomach. I feel so uncomfortable and look 10 months pregnant at times! There's also the weird feeling of being empty and hungry within 20 minutes of eating a proper meal and feeling full. This, too, is another pointer to Gastritis, but I'm holding off going to see the doctor.

Anybody else getting this? My other main peri symptom is a sort of hot flush that lasts hours - I overheat far too readily, but not necessarily sweat.

It's all so uncomfortable and does nothing for my self confidence!

5 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow I continue to be amazed at the different symptoms we all are having since the onset of the menopausal years. I have had alot of stomach issues in the four years I have been at it. Heartburn, and having to watch what I ate very carefully, for instance if I eat sugar, or too high of carbs I get the rocking boat feeling. Never had issues prior to menopause. Hopefully someone will have felt the same as you, and can help. I know I have sure found alot of great help from all the ladies.
  • Edited

God the hot flushes have been just awful todayrolleyes

trying to clean the house up I'm permanently damp like I'm pyrexial..........

and yes I get bloated and suffer from permanent flatulence (so embarrassing) redface

HELPPPPP!!!!!lol 

• Posted

I'm post menopausal at 60. I feel I've been going through the menopause for years and years.Yes, I get stomach pains and sometimes constipated too. I'm often troubled by 'wind' at both ends as well. [ Very embarrassing at times. ]

I'm so fed up with hot flushes or sweating, tiredness and all the attendant crap that goes with it. I just want it to finish.

Sorry for the rant. I didn't have a very good day today. Stomach pains this evening. I'm off to bed now.... sad

• Posted

Here's the problem, menopause isn't somethng that actually comes and then is gone.  It is the permanent loss of our sex steroid system.  I've known woman who have had drenching sweats into their 80s.  And the changes continue to come, as these hormones effect all parts of our bodies and also our other hormone systems.
  • Edited

I'm 60 and 'post' menopausal. I get stomach pain, bloating and wind. It's often like a gnawing pain, sometimes having something to eat helps, at others it makes no difference.

{I take Peptac liquid four times a day when it's bad.}

My GP isn't sure whether my symptoms have been aggravated by recently being on Mirtazapine for depression.

I'm off them now, thankfully, although it will take a few days for things to calm down.

I was prescribed very low dose oestrogen vaginal pessiaries for mood swings and dryness. Fortunately they seem to be helping.

I think there are a lot of problems being menopausal. Each of us having our own particular difficulties. Being on this group means we can help and support each other.

• Edited

Yes I had gastitis. It came on just as my periods went erratic and almost 51. I had an endoscophy to confirm it and medication ( which took time to go) even with medication. My advice if it continues is to get it checked and treated. I have a small hiatas hernia which didnt help especially in peri where reflux happens more!
    • Posted

Hi I know you wrote this two years ago but i was wondering how are you doing with your gastritis and peri. I am going through the same thing right now. What med did you take for it? All the med seem to make me so weak in the muscles, it helps the stomach but then causes severe muscle weakness which I'm already having. Are you better now?

• Edited

Dear Mary

My gastitis did clear in the end but took a good few months! I took omeprezole initially but after so long it gave me a gassy stomach so I switched to zantac. Thankfully I can eat and drink normally again but it did take time! I cut out caffeine and alcohol and spicy food at the time x

• Edited

Dear Pinkcatfairy

How long did all your perimenopause last? Especially the bloating, mine has become so uncomfortable it feels heavy from the gastritis. I had a ct scan done on 2 weeks ago and said walls are swollen. I regretfully took antibiotics for a uti that later dr. found out that i did not have, and ibuprofen also a few weeks ago and I can't seem to get relief as before. I had gotten it under control until I took the antibiotics. I can't really eat the foods I want, I've lost weight and it's hard to maintain my current weight. The stomach feels full and uncomfortable all the time.

I was taking zantac but I stopped, I guess I have to continue taking it. I do notice when I take the zantac my stomach feels lighter, so I'm wondering if the feeling is due to the acid in the stomach?

I don't do caffeine, alcohol or spicy foods. Been too scared to even try these foods.

• Posted

Dear Mary

Sorry you are in this discomfort, I know what its like. I started peri around 50/51 and due to family history I had my ovaries out shortly after so was plunged into menopause. Six months after my op I had terrible anxiety and feelings of panic. Two years on I still get the odd symptoms that come and go. The gastitis was worse for me along with the anxiety. Thankfully the gastitis did clear but took some time x

• Posted

Oh wow I to have had a heiatal hernia and gastritis for a year And just went to a general surgeon she put me Nexium and Caraphate and went to the OB and she put me on Premsome hormone replacement.... i hope it helps and a friend said her friend took the hormone replacement and it changed her life hope you feel better soon..... 
    • Posted

Hi sorry this is a very late response !

I wanted to ask you about your gastritis , I have been recently diagnosed with non erosive gastritis in the stomach & parts of the small intestine , did you find out which gastritis it was & how long did it take the medication to work ? were you on 20mg

I am 47 and am having symptoms of the perimenopause and wondered if they could be related ?

Thank you

• Edited

Dear Verona

I wasnt sure what gastitis it was, i noticed you spelt it gastritis which is different. If if is gastitis (inflammed stomach lining) yes i was on 20mg omeprezole for a while but then on to zantac because the omeprezole gave me gassy uncomfortable stomach! Nausea, loss of appetite and weight loss was part of gastitis. I would say from start to finish it went on for a few months!! And yes it is quite common in peri. We can suffer with reflux at this stage and i have a hiatas hernia which didn't help!

• Edited

Hi thank you fir responding to me , I googled gastitis bit it came up as gastritis ( inflamed stomach ) which i think is the same thing . Im on a similar medication (ppi) and am hoping that it does clear up as I am feeling nausea but not sure if this is the medication as it's only started since the medication . Are you back on normal foods now ?

verona

• Edited

Yes this happened to me i peri and i am four years post meno now, so hang in there, it is a slow process but it will get better, x

• Posted

Hi Tracy, how did the hormone replacement therapy go and the gastritis?

• Posted

hi,

how is this now? as ive just been diagnosed with exactly the same thing.

lisa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.