Is Gastritis common in Perimenopause?

Posted , 36 users are following.

Hi ladies, I have just come to the conclusion that I have Gastritis and I'm wondering if it is a common affliction in perimenopause?

Basically, I am almost 51 and my periods have been regular as clockwork except for one that was 3 weeks late last summer, then a hiccup this January / February, when I had 4 normal periods in 2 months. I was ok until my last period which was about 3 weeks late again. Every month I get bloating as part of PMT. I aslo thought I was getting heartburn every month, until I read it's description and realised my burning pain is in my stomach, not my chest.

Last month my bloating and burning pain didn't subside when my period started and I am still suffering it weeks later and wondering when my next period will start!

When I read a description of Gastritis, I realised it was what I may have had for many months, but usually only during the week before my period. The worst symptom is the gnawing, empty, burning pain in my stomach. I feel so uncomfortable and look 10 months pregnant at times! There's also the weird feeling of being empty and hungry within 20 minutes of eating a proper meal and feeling full. This, too, is another pointer to Gastritis, but I'm holding off going to see the doctor.

Anybody else getting this? My other main peri symptom is a sort of hot flush that lasts hours - I overheat far too readily, but not necessarily sweat.

It's all so uncomfortable and does nothing for my self confidence!

5 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I know this is an older post ...I just wanted to say that I am going through pretty much the same thing. I'm 54 and up until I had a hysterectomy (kept ovaries) 2 months ago I was still having periods either several times a month or every 4-6 months. For several years I've been suffering from gastrointestinal issues ..I feel full very easily like the food is taking forever to digest, bloating, and discomfort I'm stomach area. Belching helps this temporarily. Headaches for days right before what I think would be when I should have a period. Sometimes I'm so tired I just want to sit on sofa and having muscle and joint aches. I've had an upper GI barium X-ray done, chest X-ray, gall bladder ultrasound and numerous heart tests and all were normal. I don't have hot flashes where I break out in sweats...one are like my internal body temperature is elevated and stays like that for hours. Its reassuring to see that I'm not going crazy and I am patiently waiting to feel normal again!

• Posted

I'm post-menopausal and recently started to have gastric symptoms (gas, indigestion, burning).  For whatever recent antacids didn't work -- and then I finally found the herb fennel and started making herb teas from it.   It has antacid properties and it's also a phytoestrogen.  This kills two birds with one stone and it's also easier on the system than anything else I could find.  Best to you..hope you find your solution.

• Posted

Hi Nokia, I never had stomach problems until 5 years ago.  Since then it’s been pretty tough.  I now wonder whether it is menopause related.  Didn’t the fennel tea sort your gastric problems permanently ?  Do you just buy fennel tea ?
  • Edited

I have the exact symptoms. I had a hiatel hernia removed in Dec of 2015, & I know I need a colonoscopy. I've had digestive issues for about 15 yrs but now at post menolause and almost 57 I feel worse than ever .!!!

• Edited

Hi Adriana,  Im so sorry and shocked as well that your Gastro problems have been going on for 15 years.   Are they related to the menopause ?  And how are you nowadays ?
  • Edited

Hi there,

I see that it’s been 3 years since your post...did you have gastritis? If so, what did you do?

I too am 51 and dealing with the ups and downs of Perimenopause. I have come to the conclusion that it’s the root of my problems...thyroid, stress, digestion issues, insomnia, etc. They are all interconnected. That said, you can’t treat just the symptoms.

In my case, my progesterone is lower than my estrogen. Progesterone is what helps us deal with stress. So, if that’s out of alignment our stress level goes up. Our stress increases, then the stomach acid increases. With that, we don’t absorb as many nutrients and our gut becomes inflamed. Stress affects everything in your body. But it’s not enough to lower our stress during perimenopause, we have to balance our hormones.

I suggest that have your hormones tested and cortisol level. Be sure to look for a gyno that is open to “bioidentical hormones”.  They are more likely to help with getting to the bottom of your symptoms and inbalance. They are still MD doctors, it’s just that they are more open to alternatives.

Be sure to assert yourself! Doctors love to look at the normal ranges in blood work and tell you that you are fine. Be your own advocate.

Take care and good luck to all! I know how you feel...sometimes it sucks to be a woman!!

• Edited

Hello I'm not madcow (well at times I could be lol) but I saw your post about gastitis in peri. I had it and it went on for some time nausea stomach pain and loss of appetite, I went on a courae of ppi's firstly omeprezole and then zantac as the omeprezole didnt agree with me after some time (gave me uncomfortable gassy stomach) I avoided fats, alcohol and spicy foods

• Posted

Hi Cynthia49698,I’ve been suffering from gastric issues for many years and it’s only now that Im wondering whether  they may never related to the menopause.  I never got any hot flushes so I thought I escaped the menopause.   How are you coping these days ?
  • Edited

Got gastritis for first time in Nov. 2017 and I am convinced it is from peri. I now need to be much more careful with what I eat. I always had a stomach of steel so this had been weird! All tests revealed gastritis, nothing else. xo Heidi

• Posted

Hi Heidi,

Are you on any medication for your gastritis ? Also did they say what type it was ? Ive just recently been diagnosed with gastritis and Ive been put on a ppi to reduce acid

I am 47 and like you could eat anything before now .

verona

• Edited

Hi, Verona,

They put me on Omeprazole for it, which I stayed on for about 1.5-2 months to allow it to clear up, then went off it. It was just regular old stomach inflammation - I tested negative for H-Pylori. I do not like taking medication. I found that taking turmeric, L-glutamine, and drinking lots of licorice and ginger tea along with water really helped settle things naturally. Things that make it start to flare up are alcohol, stress, and caffeine. I'm down to 1-2 cups of coffee per day and I drink a gallon of water per day and I am careful about alcohol and I have been able to keep it in check without continuing to take even the natural remedies. I hope this helps! xo Heidi

• Edited

Hi Heidi,

Thank you for replying to me , your response has been very helpful .

I was put on the same medication as you before I was diagnosed but it was'nt working so I'm on a similar one now but its only been a week so I guess I will have to be patient .

I will give the natural suggestions you have mentioned while on the meds . Glad you have managed to clear it now .

Thanks again

Verona

• Edited

You are welcome, Verona! I should have mentioned that I did completely give up coffee (all caffeine) and alcohol for about 6 weeks when it was at its worst. That really helped quite a bit as well. Good luck! Peri sucks!

xo Heidi

• Posted

Hi,

I am going to try & do the same , also did you say you had nausea / loss of appetite with gastritis on your previous posts ?

I have awful belching & the two symptoms above , sorry I should have asked you this before

Thanks

verona

• Edited

Yes. I lost a lot of weight, and I am very thin to start, so I was panicked I had some bad cancer or something (which didn't help the gastritis!!!). ZERO appetite, always felt sick to my stomach. The good news is that it will go away with proper treatment. Hang in there. Hugs to you!

xo Heidi

• Posted

Hi thanks again for feedback !

I will hang in there , as its still early days for me ,

cheers , take care

Verona x x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.