Is it amlodopline affecting me?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 59 have high bp, after being put on doxazosin 4mg, lisinopril 20 mg, I was put on amlodopline 5gm to help lower bp.as well as putting on weight ( like water retention) I have gone from a lively person to feeling like a zombie and feeling as though I have the beginnings of dementia. I also suffer from pins and needles/ burning feet at night which keeps me awake and is driving me insane. I have seen a neurologist who says I have no nerve damage but is doing further tests. I had a botched hip replacement some years ago so they though perhaps nerves had been damaged. I am desperate for answers and coming across your forum was the nearest I have been to finding similarities. Any suggestions gratefully received. I have asked my go if tablets could be affecting me but they were dismissive ! Thank you

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Julie, This happened to me ,come off them quickly, They are supposed to help us not make us into zombies. Go back to your GP as an emergency and refuse to take any more. There are lots to help, they just try the easiest and dare I suggest, the cheapest. I get on well with candesartan.

Good luck Jeny

• Posted

Julie -- In addition to the reports here in regard to Amlodipine, see the "Side Effects" section for Amlodipine at drugs .com.

My problems with the stuff are minor compared to yours -- but I feel much better OFF of it. . My Internist here supported my decision, suggesting we just watch what happens. . My BP (140/80) is on the high side of acceptable for my age. (82).

• Posted

allenwoll....I'm glad you had the support of your internist. I don't know about what the acceptable bp reading is for a person of your age in Britain, but here in Canada, it's acceptable to have 140/90...at age 60+.

If you're at 140/80..age 82..I think that's great!

• Posted

Hi Julie. Come off the Amlodipine. Don't accept being fobbed off by the Dr. It is your body not his!! Tell him you do not want to take them anymore. I am lucky that I have a Dr. who listens to me and is prepared to try different medications to find what suits me best. I am on my fourth BP med and have finally found one that suits and works.
  • Posted

Hi Juliej 89867...It could very well be the Amlodipine that's affectng you. Also, you mentioned one of the reasons for the Dr. prescribing this is for the water retention. Say what!!???? The Amlodipine won't reduce the water retention...for that, you'd need a diuretic. Amlodipine is known for CAUSING water retention, & swollen feet/ankles. You didnt' say how long you've been taking the Amlodipine. Some people do get the swelling, while some don't. 

Nowfor your pins/needles/burning feet. I'm not at all surprised. If you read the forum here, you'll find there are tons of complaints about Amlodipine & the burning it causes. I suffer from burning feet/legs., & we suspect the Amlodipine. I've had this problem since last January..that's right!...Jan.2014. My Dr. thinks the best way for us to find out for sure is for me to come off it. I'll be discussing that with him in the very near future, as I'm sure coming off the Amlodipine will cause my bp to go UP, which is something we've been fighting for a long time. 

Does it help if you can cool your feet? Do your feet feel better if you elevate them?

• Posted

Julie...please let us know how you get on the with tests from the Neurologist.

He says you don't have nerve damage but is running further tests. We'd all be very interested in the outcome. I hope you don't have a mild form of Erythromelalgia.

• Posted

I went to my gp yesterday. The first time I went my bp was 173/92. She put me on Amlodipine, 5 mg daily. After a few weeks I was ok. But as of this past Tues., I felt more zombie-like, very tired about 45 minutes after taking the pill. I broke the tablet in half yesterday and felt sooo much better! No xombie-like state, or sleepiness. My bp is now down to 158/86 and I have lost almost 7 lbs in about a month. When I told her that I only took half a pill, she said that I shouldn't do that and that I should take the pill at night instead of the morning. Ummm....NOT. I am going to take half a pill from now on. And possibly discontinue it all together. I am going to get a home BP monitor because my next appointment isn't until February. She also wants me to get some bloodwork and one of the things that she wants from them is my liver and kidney works. Hmmm., I've heard that this could effect both those organs and not in a good way.
    • Posted

Make sure that you get a good quality BP machine, Omron is a good make. Get one with an arm band, not a wrist machine.Your pharmacist will always take your BP for you.

I am so pleased that I started taking Grapeseed extract, my BP has dropped drastically, so much in fact, that I am going to try coming off the meds I am on and see what happens. Will keep you all posted.

• Posted

rozanne321...nannylynn is right. Get yourself a good quality bp machine. Also, she's right when she says Omron is a good make. I too have an Omron machine. I have the BP785 model. This model will take 3 readings of your bp, then give you the average, so there's no math for you to be bothered with. 

I'm a little surprised your bp didn't prescribe a diuretic to go with that bloody Amlodipine. Sorry for cursing, but this medication is evil in the purest form. 

I can see why your gp wants bloodwork done. That's usual when someone is on bp meds for a bit. They want to know about your potassium levels, etc...& yes...what the kidneys/liver may be doing. Creatinine, albumin, etc.etc. No worries about it..this is usual unless something comes back to cause concern. 

158/86 isn't terrible, but it's not great either. Hang in there, & please be sure to let us know how you get on.

I'm sure you must have read many threads here about Amlodipine. It is not endeared by anyone, I can assure you.

• Posted

Mike, The hospital that I went to intially had pescribed a diuretic, but my gp wanted to see how  my body would react to the amlodipine. She said that I didn't need it. I will take yours and nanny's advice on the monitor. I wil keep you informed about the blood tests once I take them and get the results. Thanks for your concern!

• Posted

In my mind, I wonder 'why' the hosptial prescribed a diuretic?????

I don't want to alarm you, but Amlodipine is notorious for causing feet/ankle swelling..a big reason why people have to come off that da*m drug. Are you taking any other bp medication??? 

I think it was MrsO who once said on this thread..not too long ago..that Amolodipine seems to be the flavour of the month..a popular drug being prescribed by doctors...BUT it's banned in Holland. Go figure. 

• Posted

Mike, it isn't quite true that Amlodipine is banned in Holland.  This comment has often been made on this site but over a year ago the Pat.Exp. team advised us as follows:

"We have been in touch with the Pharmaceutical Society to find out what the current position is with amlodipine in Holland. They provided us with the following web address in Holland to have a look at http://www.cbg-meb.nl/CBG/en/_search/searchresult/default

This site gives the marketing authorization numbers for a number of amlodipine products which implies that it is still available over there.

We did track down that there was a distribution problem in Oct 2009 but are not sure how relevant that is.

So in our opinion it looks as though the drug is still available in Holland."

• Posted

Hi again Mike!

I wonder about that also, but I have been keeping a good eye out for any signs of edema. Whenever I am sitting, I keep my feet elevated. In fact, when I went to my gp yesterday, she checked for signs and wondered why my feet looked so thin/long and what shoe size I wear?  I said, "Really? I'm flatfooted and have a size 11 wide shoe. She was surprised. I said.. "Yep, and they actually let me in the Navy with flat feet! Go figure!".

I haven't taken the diuretic at all. And I am slowly reducing the amlodipine. I feel SO much better!

• Posted

Thankyou everyone for your advice. I have booked an appointment with a Dr next week and hope to cover all the points put forward by everyone, I am hoping my BP tablets, particularly amlodipline, will be changed as it appears so many people have a sensitivity to it that causes certain problems. I no longer feel alone in this and look forward to feeling 'normal' . Does anyone have headaches on amlodipline?
    • Posted

julie89867...don't you find it interesting that the Dr.was checking your ankles/legs...& wa surprised they weren't swollen????? Of course!!!

Amlodipine is notorious for causing swelling. It's a very common side effect of the drug.

• Posted

Hello Julie.... you ask about headaches on amlodipine and yes, after the swelling feet and ankles followed by swollen hands combined with severe pain, I also had pain across my shoulders resulting in headache.  I am now off the amlodipine but my doctor hasn't admitted any of the effects were the result of the drug and has put me on steroids to deal with the pain and swelling.  I think if I had found this site before taking the Amlodipine I would never have started.  Good luck
    • Posted

Diana112...your Dr. has you on steroids for pain & swelling!!!???? Just 'why' such a drastic step is mind-boggling, but please don't be offended...I'm simply surprised. "Why" your doctor won't admit the problem likely is the Amlodipine is another question. Usually doctors will listen to the patients, especially when they complain of side effects..which is why they'll take you off & give you something else. In most cases, the side effects go away once you stop the offending medication. Please let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

Thanks Mike - If I had come across the Amlodipine discussions earlier I would definitely have stopped taking them much sooner and perhaps the swelling and pain would have subsided more quickly.  However, easy to be wise after the event and living on my own I found it difficult to carry out some every day tasks due to the pain I was experiencing (couldn't even kneel down) and ended up with the Steroids when perhaps I should have hung on a bit longer.  The blood test I had, showed inflammation - a classic sympton of PMR apparently, so the book says prescribe Steroids - Yes, I should have argued but too late now.  Having taken the Steroids for a couple of months I think I have little choice but to gradually reduce the dose to zero. Such Fun !!
    • Posted

Hi Diana, I nearly fell off my chair when reading that someone in this Amlodipine group is on steroids for PMR.  Poor you!  I've been there and got the proverbial t-shirt!  I hope the steroids have improved your pain levels - we can usually expect to feel about 70% relief of pain within a few days or even hours.  I hope your GP is monitoring your inflammation levels with repeat ESR and CRP blood tests, which should be carried out before any reduction in dose, especially in the early days of treatment and on the higher doses.
    • Posted

Thank you Mrs O.  This site really is the very best support.  Without it, it would be very easy to feel quite alone.  I had a blood test a week ago and will see the doctor again on 22 Dec.  I currently take 10mg daily (reduced from 15mg in two stages) so if I am able to reduce to 9mg that would be good tho I guess you still have to take the gastro resistant tablet, plus the weekly osteoporosis tablet, plus the vit.D + Calcium
    • Posted

Diana, as you go lower on the steroid dose, it is advisable to slow down the reductions to help avoid a flare.  Remember that the steroids are not curing anything, they are just damping down the inflammation that causes the pain.  PMR goes into remission when it wants to and not when we or our medics want it to unfortunately.

The Vit.D + Calcium is fine - are you aware it shouldn't be taken at the same time as the steroids, but a few hours left between the two otherwise the calcium can reduce the effect of the Prednisolone.  We usually say Pred for breakfast and calcium for lunch and supper!

As for the weekly osteoporosis tablet, if this is a bisphosphonate (Alendronic Acid), have you had a bone density scan to show that you need it?  If not, do ask for one.  Alendronic Acid had some bad press a couple of years ago and it was subsequently advised that anyone taking it should not take it for more than 5 years. Once taken, it remains in our bodies for many years, and it was discovered that there is a risk to necrosis of the jaw and hip bones.  I avoided it, and many others I am in touch with stopped it.  Of course, if you have already been diagnosed with osteoporosis, then you will need some bone protection, but there are other non-bisophosphonate drugs.

You don't need to feel alone with PMR - there are 3 excellent forums for PMR and its linked condition, GCA. One here on Pat.Exp, another on the north east PMR Charity website, and a third on healthunlocked forum run by the National PMR Charity.  There are also support groups across the country - whereabouts are you?   

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. It is very helpful.  I live on the Buckinghamshire/Oxfordshire borders in Thame.

I am taking Alendronic Acid but haven't had any tests so I will speak to my doctor.  It would be good to at least be able to dispense with just one extra chemical.  Your advice about the calcium tablets is helpful and makes good sense.  There are so many do's and don'ts to know about and the doctors definitely don't give enough information. I had read that tea - an essential part of my breakfast -  and some other foods may prevent the take up of the calcium so there has generally been a 2 hour gap between the Pred and calcium.  You have made me feel more in control of my condition. Again, thank you for your advice.

• Posted

Unfortunately, we don't as yet have a PMR support group operating in your area - it seems I am the nearest one, operating in Chertsey, Surrey, and that isn't exactly near!  Never mind, but rather than us risk boring our friends in this Amlodipine group here, if the subject is PMR do come over to the PMR/GCA group on this site.

With regard to calcium protecting our bones from the onslaught of steroids, I had nasty immediate side effects to my bowel from the stomach protection pills prescribed alongside the steroids  (nothing new there then what with the side effects I encountered on several BP pills as well!).  My rheumy told me not to take the pills but at a very high starting steroid dose of 40mgs I was worried about my stomach.  Anyway I replaced the stomach protectors with a small 'live (probiotic) yoghurt each morning with my breakfast, and my stomach remained fine throughout 5-6 years on steroids........not to mention an added calcium boost for the bones which only very very slightly thinned, but I also ate oily fish a few times a week - excellent for our bones!

Sorry peoples in this group to veer totally off the Amlodipine track - promise not to do it again!redface

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.