Is it depression or menopause

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there, going to doctors tomorrow but afraid of walking out with antidepressants when I maybe need hrt. I'm 52 and periods are now quite erratic, I don't want to leave the house. Always in pyjamas. Terrible sweating sometimes. Sore knees. Paranoia. My mood is so low and fearful most of the time. Am I in menopause. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Margaret, sorry I addressed my reply to Caroline by mistake.. gettin old :-)
    • Posted

I'm new to this and was not sure if it was for me. Thank you. I have a bit of hope now. I think I will really try hard to explain how I feel. It's just because I have had a bit of depression in the past that I think they will just opt for the antidepressants.
    • Posted

Well at 52 you are at the age where it is normal to be menopausal you know your own body and mind better than anyone else. Go with your instincts and dont accept what you dont feel comfortable with. Ask if you can try HRT.
    • Posted

I will pat. I will ask to try hrt first. This forum has already helped me to go and ask for it.
  • Posted

There is no blood test to see if you are going through the menopause, you can be tested two days running and your results will be completely different. None will be conclusive.

They can test you once you think you've been through the change, but not whilst you think you are going through it.

That's what I've been told by my gynaecologist

• Posted

Thanks, would be prefer not to be tested because if it came back not menopausal I would feel worse and more confused.
    • Posted

If you're in the UK margaret you won't be offered a blood test. That is no longer the protocol.
    • Posted

Yes I am in uk. I understand that it can be a patch or gel or in tablet form. Does it matter and is everyone prescribed the same amount on beginning.
    • Posted

You'll probably discuss your options with your GP. Try and read up on the different types and check out the NICE Guidelines. 
    • Posted

I started with a patch, just for sheer convenience. You stick it on (usually at the top of your outer thigh) twice a week, it always takes a while to adjust but within a week or so my flushes had all but disappeared and I felt so much better, more energy, more sleep and happier. Its your choice and like Matron said, check out the options online and read the NICE guidelines. Keep us posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.