Is it just me..or is my TKR Not part of me, hence hindering progress?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been thinking hard about this...I had a TKR 3 months ago, as many of you know.  BUT...I don't realy think I have come to terms with the 'is it really part of me?' syndrome.

I don't really 'trust' it, like I would have the original knee (even thought hat was duff)....And I have to be honest, doesn't actually feel like it's part of me...

Am I going nuts or do other people feel this way?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Pete,

It's funny you should bring this up, or say it "out loud" what people think but feel they are the only ones who think that. 

I'm in week 5 of my TKR, much earlier than you, but I still have times when I just can't wrap my head around the fact I have metal & plastic in my knee. I also feel a sense of loss, like a part of me was removed & replaced with this foreign material. I too, feel it's not a part of me. 

Hopefully in time we will start to embrace our new knee, especially if it enables us to do things we used to do, without agonizing pain. 

Thanks for bringing up thoughts like that. It's always nice to know we are not alone in our weird thinking smile

BTW I really enjoyed reading your blog. You are a great writer with a wonderful sense of humor. Do you write for a living?

Betty 

• Posted

Awwwwww.that's a really nice post Betty...thank you...No I don't write for a living....But I do enjoy writing (secretly)....I never really have a 'plan' for writing, I just sort of 'wing it'...whatever comes into my mind flows out...Dunno how it works really....I wrote a short thing about making beds a while back...it sounds boring, but would have you in stitches...I just know it....
  • Posted

Hi Pete, 

Your post did make me laugh!!

Iam 5months TKR, and i still call my knee 'it', it doesnt feel weird anymore but i know im am concious of it everyday!! I understand the trust thing though, i constantly have a fear of falling over when i walk, almost as if it will give way or come loose, but i know its a hangup i have. I work in procurement in a hospital and prosethesis are part of what we stock, and i know how robust they are but i still have that feeling about them, i have no pain like before in my knee i just have this 'false' feeling!!

PS i read your diary on your blog, could understand some it as i went through the same, i could of had spinal but refused point blank, and am so glad i did, my recovery was ok albeit probably longer than you, but at thr time i didnt care how long i would be in hospital for just as long as i couldnt hear anything.

Pegs

• Posted

Hi Pete,

i have yet to see how I will feel about my new knee (op in 2 weeks) but I have tried to tell myself that I'm just replacing a worn out part and getting a refill.

hopefully I'll end up like the old janitor, had his original broom for thirty years, only been through three heads and two handles. smile

• Posted

Hi johnros,

Yes it's a great philosophy.  I sincerely do hope you manage to condition yourself into that mode of thinking.

Wasn't it Trigger who had the same broom?  hahaha smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.