is it likely you can take Vagifem for 20 years??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Saw my  menopause consultant yesterday.  Have come to the conclusion that I know more than she does, thanks to this site and the internet.

She confirmed that I know have VA for the rest of my life but not to worry I can use the Vagifem indefinitely.  Now seriously how likely is that?  I am 60 and say I get to 80 or more I think it is very unlikely that I will be able to take this for 20 or more years.

When I said this she just went mmmm see what you mean and changed the subject.  She had no further ideas or new medicines or anything else and hadn't even  heard of the KEY E suppositories which for me are a God send.

I think she was sent on a one day seminar.  So disappointing as I was hoping to get answers.

3 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've been on Estrace cream for about 3 months (1gr 2x a week), and while it greatly helped my urinary symptoms, I still have the vaginal burning, but not as much dryness. Get through about half the day without any trouble, then when I'm on my feet for awhile I start the burning. Still use the Replens, coconut oil, Vit E between the Estrace. Saw my Gyn yesterday, and she is going to be getting the Mona Lisa laser in Jan. $1500 for the first 3 treatments. She thinks I would be a good candidate since I don't seem to be responding to the estrogen very well. Seems like a miracle invention, but hate to think that it might not work after all that $$. I see on my new insurance for next year that a tube of Estrace will be $200, so the Mona Lisa is cheaper than a year of cream.
    • Posted

peg, are you in the US and if so can you tell us what part of the country? (My doctors are in the northeast but I'm not there all year.)

It's very encouraging to hear your news, though it might be best if your doctor accumulated  some experience performing this procedure before you take the plunge....no? Had a beau once who was a gynecological oncologist who went off to a seminar on laser surgery. When I asked how he would actually practice, he said they used oranges if I recall correctly.  You might want someone who has done the procedure successfully on humans first. I realize doctors have to start somewhere, but ....just be careful. And PLEASE report back if and when you have it. Thanks!

• Posted

Yes, I'm in the US, down South. My Dr. Thinks this laser thing is going to bring women out of the woodwork to get treated. I've watched the video of the procedure, and is amazing that there is no pain. The laser is burning microscopic holes into your vagina!! I will not be her first patient for sure. Still trying all sorts of oils, probiotics, etc. I do worry about the estrogen consequences as well with using the Estrace.
    • Posted

Do you know if this would have any affect on the vulva issues with VA?Also no hormones are needed ever to maintain?Thanks
    • Posted

She said "it rejuvenates everything...and as an added bonus, it helps all the bladder issues, which they weren't even expecting". Just sounds WAY too good to be true. I just can't get my hopes up that something so simple can fix this. I don't think there's any estrogen maintenance afterwards. Supposedly all these holes they make in the vagina fill in with new collagen, and that makes it moist and supple again, so all the symptoms of low estrogen are gone. I just really don't understand how that even make sense??
    • Posted

It is the same (or very similar) treatment that dermatologists have been doing on faces for years as I understand it. But on the face they remove the top layer of skin; I don't know about the holes. I really think this is the future for women who experience problems after menopause. I see it as my long term solution, but want to see how successful the procedure is in this country first. If my symptoms were bad, however, I'd be the first in line.
    • Posted

Hi Beverley yes believe they use oranges to train people to take blood samples lol.

I remember when lasers were first being used to remove pre-cancerous cells in the cervix.  My sister went to have hers removed and she was screaming in pain and saw smoke emerging from her bits - the cleaner had turned the control to the highest setting.  She was so badly scarred they could not tell if they had got the cells or not.

If I have to come off Vagifem or God forbid it gets worse then I will gladly take the risk but in the meantime would like to seem some reviews in the UK.

• Posted

I see from the post awhile back you dont.I cant afford vagifem and progesterone as i have to pay out of pocket . personally i think the one doc is protecting herself in case of malpractice.she even wanted to give progesterin for the localised premeran.
    • Posted

Good grief, when did that happen to your sister? I had my cervix cauterized a long time ago (late '60's) and there was no pain that I recall. Not sure if it was a laser. Are you in the UK? Some of these experiences you ladies have makes one wonder about the level of medical training there. I've had overly aggressive doctors, but they didn't seem particularly incompetent. Other than the one gyno who screwed up by refusing to prescribe Flagyl, I haven't suffered from anyone's incompetence. Gives one pause re national health care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.