is it likely you can take Vagifem for 20 years??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Saw my  menopause consultant yesterday.  Have come to the conclusion that I know more than she does, thanks to this site and the internet.

She confirmed that I know have VA for the rest of my life but not to worry I can use the Vagifem indefinitely.  Now seriously how likely is that?  I am 60 and say I get to 80 or more I think it is very unlikely that I will be able to take this for 20 or more years.

When I said this she just went mmmm see what you mean and changed the subject.  She had no further ideas or new medicines or anything else and hadn't even  heard of the KEY E suppositories which for me are a God send.

I think she was sent on a one day seminar.  So disappointing as I was hoping to get answers.

3 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I can so relate..most seem clueless yet they charge a fortune,they need to turn ON their computer!
  • Posted

There's the Mona Lisa procedure which sounds promising to me. Stimulates collagen production in the vaginal area.
    • Posted

It is available in Harley Street it's around £3000 as you need 3 treatments. Then top ups. It doesn't suit everyone if your like me and have keloid (over healing) scaring maybe be an issue my Dr said :-(
    • Posted

Crikey. I'm a pensioner. It should be available on the NHS but I think I will be on the Vagifem for the future then! Thanks for the info though 😊
    • Posted

Sorry I meant to say it's a laser used inside the vagina. It effect on vaginal stimulates the production of collagen and restores proper blood flow. But it requires top ups.

Sounds good though

• Posted

I already asked lol. Not available on the nhs unfortunately. I was desperate enough to ask if their were any clinical trials none of those either!
    • Posted

I asked my doc the other day about mona lisa's touch,i had to tell her,my regular doctor didnt know either..geesh and its right on the net.Guess they dont use computers.
    • Posted

Amazing isn't it! Sometimes I think they feign ignorance to avoid you asking for expensive treatments.
  • Posted

Hi Linda. Are you saying that along with the HRT you have to use the vit E at night and coconut oil during the day? How long have you been taking the hormones? I thought once they performed their magic it wouldn't be necessary to use everything else. I have been reluctant to use the Premarin that my doctor recommended due to concern that the VA would progress and I would have more severe issues. So far I seem to be coasting, but read with great interest what is and is not working for other women with various stages of AV.

Although this is supposed to affect (I think it is) 20% of women after menopause I don't know anyone who has (or admits to having) it.

Yes, this site is very helpful.

• Posted

I think your probably right about the numbers noone seems to talk about this problem. Yet when I've brought the subject up most admit to having problems but have not seen a Dr about it.
    • Posted

Out of my friends im the only one,lucky me,or maybe they just havnt gotton worse enough symptoms yet
    • Posted

One of my friends has told me she has it and she's using Replens after refusing hormonal cream suggested by her GP, and another friend has been on HRT for over 20 years and intends to stay on it until she dies.  But she said she did have dryness and it sorted it out.
    • Posted

I think some dryness and therefore discomfort when having sex is what most women experience. Personally I can no longer tolerate a pelvic exam with gobs of lubricant so would not even attempt sex. So if I avoid exams I seem to be OK. It's a matter of things getting progressively worse (essentially shrinking) or if I'm maintaining a certain level. Won't know till next year when I see the doctor again. Didn't go this year as I'm still not ready to try the hormones. When there's estrogen dependent cancer in the family it makes you very reluctant.
    • Posted

My next step is Replens,The Key E suppositories and coconut oil,if Im still dry after that...no clue
    • Posted

It's surprising how once the subject is broached you realise you're not the only one. Although everyone has varying degrees, I wish being dry was the only symptom but unfortunately some haven't faired so well.
    • Posted

The doctor I went to yesterday did not push hormones,she wants me to try everything else first..hormones seem to have lots of issues like possible monthly bleeding etc,sometimes they sound worse then without it,very discourageing.I thought theyd be a fairly easy fix.
    • Posted

I think this is the problem we find our own ways of managing things. Lotions, potions or avoiding. Which essentialy doesn't give us back our quality of life.

It must be extremely hard to have to consider treatment based on your family history. Weighing up the pros and cons is a big decision. I feel for you it's a hard choice

• Posted

Lee, my doctor didn't suggest trying anything other than the Premarin cream. When I read the possible side effects all I could think of was having premenstrual symptoms again and that's the last thing I would want to bring on. To me menopause was a gift! Unfortunately it has come with the AV as the bow.

I'm always confused as to who lives where...are you in the US or UK? I'm in the US.

• Posted

Yes, that's right.  My heart goes out to women who are in real pain and constant discomfort!
    • Posted

Im scared to have a pelvic now..cant imagine how long that irritation will last .wonder if they can numb you first.id probably need pain meds for a week . I'm having one in january if i dont chicken out.To think a part of a persons body that used to create pleasure has now become scarey at the thought of touch i find so depressing.
    • Posted

Here's a US doctor's quote:

October 5th, 2015

"The Mona Lisa Touch has numerous peer reviewed studies showing safety.  At this point, over 20,000 women have been treated with no reports of significant side effects. In effort to produce more data for this revolutionary procedure, there are ongoing studies overseas and here in the United States. The safety of this type of laser has been supported by data over 20 years. The history of the development of the Mona Lisa Touch is very fascinating and can be found in a webinar format for your viewing online."

Warm Regards, Jennifer Murphy, MD

• Posted

I went to their facebook page,they also just won some award I told my husband about it and he looked at me like i was nuts...men
    • Posted

Hi Beverley yes even with Vagifem I still get some ulva burning and dryness but it is much much less than before.

The vagifem has sorted out the excrutiating pain inside higher up and the cystitis urinary problems.  Sex is much easier now too, my sex drive is improving and the after burn is lessening week on week.  Ive been on it since Sept.

I still get some burning around the vulva area and entrance especially after exercise and find that using the Key E pessaries most nights stops this by and large (it is not 100%) and a smidgen of coconut oil in the afternoon after exercise.  I also use a barrier cream called Sass - prepare me - before I go out or before swimming.

If I get upset or stressed in any way it does trigger it.

I lost 2 stone at the beginning of the year which undoubtedly depleted my oestrogen stored in my thigh fat then was mis-diagnosed for some months so I think that is why mine was so severe.

Everyone has different pain levels and like every ailment./condition there are varying degrees but Replens and such like were of no use for my own severe symptoms.

I'm hoping that it will continue to improve. My gyne suggested that would be the case and if so perhaps the Vagifem can be reduced to once a week in the future.

• Posted

Do u have to take progesterine. .ive read you dont need to with vagifem..my doctor wanted me to use progestron every month for 2 weeks,from what ive read that would most surely bring on bleeding..than how would a person know if the bleeding was normal or not.Other doctor im pretty sure said didnt have to take it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.