Is it possible for an 18 year old to have prostate cancer?

Posted , 19 users are following.

I'm 18 years old and I'm very worried that I may have cancer of the prostate. I'm new here and am hoping to find some answers. Here are a couple of different symptoms that I have experienced. 

- I urinate quite frequently, about once every 2 hours. My urine is almost always very light yellow or clear. I have had 3 urinalysis's done. One came back with very little protein in the urine, the other two were completely negative. 

-Sometimes my stream is slow to start. Almost like I have to wait for it to build up before it comes out. I sometimes have to wait 4-10 seconds for it to come out. but once it gets going it's a good stream. (I heard that if you urinate frequently sometimes a slow start to urinating is because of you peeing often.) But im not sure. I have no issues stopping it and starting again. It's consistent and doesn't start and stop. This only ever happens when I have to urinate and it's a very small urge but I still go so I can be comfortable. When I have a strong urge and there's a decent amount of urine in my bladder, it is quick to start and there's no problems. 

- At the end of urinating I drip a little bit but I've had that forever. I sometimes leak a tiny tiny bit when I'm sitting or laying down but it's never anything I can feel so maybe it's in my head? 

- Sometimes in my upper back I have a very mild burning type of pain. I have read that metastic prostate cancer spreads to your spinal cord usually. 

I have no symptoms other then this. I do take vitamin d supplements, zinc supplements, and ecitlopram for anxiety even though I don't feel I have it. I tend to freak out over little things like this. Going to see my GP on Thursday. 

I'm very young to have a cancer of the prostate... but I'm just wondering what else it could be. No infection which is what EVERYONE is saying it is, so what else could it be?

Thanks guys. smile 

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

By the way, I have NO pain when urinating or ejaculating. None at all. It's just the frequency that annoys me.

• Posted

At your age, highly unlikely. Your symptons suggest Prostatitis. See a urologist and get things sorted out. Do not worry about prostate cancer.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for the reply... I appreciate it smile will keep you posted

• Posted

Yes that is your best thing.  Go to a urologist to make sure your ok.  Your body is just growing.  If that is your only problem then you sould be ok.  Stay off the internet and don't read into anything you read.  It good to get information but I think your fine  Relax and enjoy your life.  You have a long road ahead   Ken 

• Posted

I agree it's very unlikely you have cancer. One problem with prostate cancer is that when it first starts there are often no symptoms. One good thing about prostate cancer is that often, even when it is detected, it requires no treatment, as it is so slow growing and doesn't necessarily spread. In one so young this wouldn't be left alone without treatment if it was detected but some of the older men amongst us have cancer for many years without symptoms and without dying of it. I've had it for several years without needing treatment, just monitoring, but I'm 66 and not naturally anxious! Tell your doctor about your anxieties and ask for someone to talk to about your life in general. You probably need a few sessions of counselling or psychotherapy to help deal with your emotions. Reaching out for others to help and advise is a great thing as so many young men suffer too much alone and in silence. Learning to soothe yourself better is also a good goal.

• Posted

I agree.. after my GP visit I'm going to look into it. I hate freaking out over every little thing.

I'm sorry to hear you have PC but it sounds like you are doing unreal so far! I hope it continues to go great for you smile

• Posted

I'm 16, I smoke cigarettes, and I shared a joint /w a friends grandfather, is stage 4 prostate cancer transferable via Saliva? Can I get it if I smoked a joint /w him? What I'm about to say may sound gross but I once was feeling sick, and I was in the shower ot see if that would help, I was washing my (Exit hole) and I found there is lumps on the outside/near the center of my hole, so like right.on the edge, it's not big and I have anxiety about it sometimes, can you help?

• Posted

I should also note it's like 1 or 2 lumps, and they are small

• Posted

You likely have Hemorrhoids - don't strain to poop and consider using the squat method to poop - Google that.

• Posted

At 18 this seems unusual. I would immediately see a urologist and skip the GP. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    • Posted

Thanks Lester. I will look into it. Seeing as I'm gonna see my GP in 2 days anyways I'm going to go and see if I can get a referral just so we can figure out what this is

• Posted

Suggestion - if you over spank your Johnson, you can get the things you are referring to. If so, give it a break for a month. The odds of you have Prostate Cancer at your age right now is about the same as me winning the lottery!

• Posted

Hi cam20410,

I think you’re worrying about something that’s extremely unlikely for someone of your age, PCa, as you probably know, by now.  PCa is probably the least likely affliction that you have.  Of course, your GP visit should be revealing, although a visit to a urologist would likely be more appropriate.  To ease your mind you should have a DRE (Digital Rectal Exam) that can be performed by your GP.

A PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) test that is performed on a drawn blood sample can also be revealing of PCa, or not.  If your PSA concentration is not elevated (that is, the charts I’ve seen begin only at age 40, and say it should be between 0 and 2ng/ml) then the charts say it is unlikely that you have PCa..[Although I just read that PCa is possible at any PSA concentration.] 

If there is suspicion of PCa, the only definitive diagnostic test is a biopsy.  However, before a biopsy, the best procedure is a multi-parametric MRI that will determine likely spots of non-indolent PCa.

Regarding dripping at the end of urinating, I think many (most) people do that.  I have always wrapped my penis with a couple sheets of TP after urinating to catch those few drops that seem to always escape a minute after urinating, regardless how much I shake and squeeze.   My cousin thought, a long time ago, that it could be a good business venture to manufacture and sell “peenie pads.”

Perhaps your supplements and/or other drug is/are causing your frequent urination.

And all this advice is coming from a 75 y.o. engineer who takes no medications or supplements, and who has extensively studied many of these issues, not a urologist or other sort of MD.

Good luck!

Harvey from S. California

• Posted

Hey Harvey, thanks so much for the information. smile I'm feeling a lot better now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.