is it possible for blood pressure to still be high even with medications?.

Posted , 8 users are following.

How is it possible to be on different medications for blood pressure and all my results are fine but it is still high.what can be done or medications cant work on me?

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Threre are too many causes for Hypertension...some genetic, but many are not.

Unfortunately there is no way I can contribute to your question...without more info

my reasoning below: (I have a fairly good grasp of most all current cardio prescribed meds/combo's)

Unknowns:

Physicals..weight, height

Disorders (diabetes 2 etc), thryroid, liver, panco

Other meds you are taking..name...mg..dosage

What was your BP readings pre hypertensives and what are they

now with current meds?

What hypertensives were you initially prescribed..mg..and dosage...when?

And subsequent changes to all meds...

Blood panel work...results "abnormalities"..only

Basic lifestyle...habits...good or bad....smoking/alcohol use...

Temper....slow or fast fuse?

with most of the above...one has a map of what might be the best

road to get to the underlying cause of why your current meds don't seem

to work for you...that's your question. And..."what" I don't know...others might,

and can quickly contribute to probable reasons.

Claudio

• Posted

Thx claudio.i am on ramipril 5mg and amlodipine 5mg.i dont smoke non drink.last time i check my reading,it was 158/94 and i have just been put on this medication for a week now because the other one was not working.i am still a bit scare to check because it is always high....i have done all my blood test and ECG and everything is fine except my blood pressure is high.
    • Posted

eo,

158/94 is not super high and poses no cardio threat. Its whats called

borderline hypertensive...

the two meds are "excellent"...the ACE which is your ramipril is at a low dose ..it relaxes your smooth artery muscles...the amlodipie, is a calcium channel blocker (used this for my mom same mg) does the same as the ACE but is not usually combined unless you are experiencing arterial spasms...chest pains..short of breath...you didn't mention these..so suspect your doc is using it as a preventive?

If you do not have a BP monitor get one..not expensive on amazon..we use the omron wrist...have routinely checked it against cuff and scope.

Take your BP twice a day..am and pm...same time...same position..if you use a wrist..be sure to place the monitor on your heart...don't cross legs.

BP varies thruout the day.

Take note: I am 77 wife 60....at age 57 my BP was 170/112 wife at age 46 was 150/90...now without medicatons Im 120/70 to 130/80 and wife is 110/60 115/60.

Let me know your diet and if your "overweight".

Keep in mind...if you stress...your bp will skyrocket...so use your good intellect not your emotion.

Claudio

• Posted

Claudio, when I first started on this BP path, I read the info on high BP from a foundation that I followed for years and still do, I can't mention names here I found that out....their guidelines on BP is so far off from the conventional medicine world guidelines....makes me wonder if BP med is just another drug to get SO MANY  hooked on.

This foundation is founded by a now deceased dentist who travelled the world in his retirement to study the health of so many around the world....Do you know who I mean...

• Posted

Claudio, when I first started on this BP path, I read the info on high BP from a foundation that I followed for years and still do, I can't mention names here I found that out....their guidelines on BP is so far off from the conventional medicine world guidelines....makes me wonder if BP med is just another drug to get SO MANY  hooked on.

This foundation is founded by a now deceased dentist who travelled the world in his retirement to study the health of so many around the world....Do you know who I mean...

• Posted

Thank you donclaudio.my diet is normal.i don't eat red meat,just chicken and fish but somebody was telling me to know my blood group and follow my blood diet.i am seeing the doctor tomorrow so that I can go for blood group test.i am not overweight as well.i am an African.dont know if that is the reason the medications are not working on me.i am a home BP monitor and I just check,it.s still 159/96.
    • Posted

Hi Joy, no do not know.. but recognize your path and that's pretty much what I deem "intelligent""....The big guns here in the US back years ago was Dr. Dean Ornish from UCSF, originally from Houston Texas...then Dr. Barry Sears (The Zone). Others of course...the only big gun Dentist was involved in Cancer.

After nearly 30 years of study, and tons of new technology and research data, it is a surprise that the medical profession continues to treat by prescription meds and "nothing else".

Claudio

• Posted

I found these 2 GREAT articles I've saved since 2003 on this Hypertension issue...and if you want to find them and read, PM me and I'll give you there titles, they are mind and eye opening, that is why I've saved them all these years and they are from this "foundation" I can't mention...what a shame...

One line I've underlined and *** is:

((((Just 25-30 yrs ago, doctors were taught that normal blood pressure was the patient's age plus 100 over 90....Thus if you were 50 yrs old, a blood pressure reading of 150/90 was considered completely normal, if you were 70, then 170/90 was normal.))))

So if this is true, then 176/90 would be totally normal for me today....

Then on comes the lab guidelines and 100's of drugs to get people to be that magic number of 120/80.

One major side effects of all these BP drugs is fatigue, and again if a person's BP is too low there is vertigo, dizzy experiences and more.

Again, if anyone wants to READ these major articles from this foundation, let me know.....I knew there was a reason to save these all these years... both these articles were written by MD's....

Personally and I'm 76, have grown for many reasons, to distrust the conventional med world and pharma.......

• Posted

I'm Latino and wife is Asian.

Happy your not "overweight, no smoking, no alcohol"

But diet...normal...I haven't a clue what that means....

Do you prepare your own food? or do you often eat

out?

Processed foods can be a major problem source my

reason for asking.

A heart healthy diet is what most good Cardiologists prescribe when

handing out hypertensives.

Its pretty much 1. what you eat....2. when you eat...3. how much you eat.

to a lesser degree is how quickly you eat, and what you do after you eat.

But all important in getting BP under control.

Like Joy mentioned...lower stress and keep off the salt...two extremely important basics.

There are plenty of so called supplements that claim to support BP...some work...some don't.

So, in summary, do you have a good understandng of a "heart healthy diet"?

If you've begun or will begin...after about 2 to 3 weeks, your BP should begin to lower.Provided you've lowered your stress levels and cut out salt.

Chicken and fish are perhaps the best source of protein outside of either Whey or Soy protein..you could alternate but do not combine...Fresh organic salads consisting of greens, carots, garlic, onion, celery maybe some fruit bits like apple...avocado and a tad of seasoned vinegar. Carbs...easty digestives...no grains but qinoa for breakfast maybe alternating with plain yogurt/kifer...brown rice, and squash, and potato..but potato must be dry not mashed nor mushy or liquid.

Stick towards "fresh and raw" best you can.

The Key Micronutriionals are: Vitamins: vitamin A, vitamin D3 with K2, vitamin C, and zinc/magnesium...you get plenty of calcium via yogurts and whey (if you process your whey with milk with some fat). The whey or soy protein should have these minimum amino's...L Glutamine 2gm, L-Glutamic Acid 1,700 mg L-Threonine 400 mg; L-Serine 450 mg;

-Methionine 140 mg; L-Proline 500 mg;

Whey digests faster than soy but both are good.

Pomegranate juice has shown to reduce systolic BP...suppose 8oz daily...not orange or mango..hits the blood streat like a jolt.

Claudio

• Posted

I agree with your thoughts JOy....why don't you put the foundation within your profile...that way all of us will know vs a pm? just a thought.

I've lost my dad, 2 younger brothers and my best friend to coronary

issues. I've made it a career to study this field...and am of an open mind to "learn". I know the reasons for all of these tragedy's...mom...special under my thumb...97 before she chose to fade over the horizon.

Have 2 elder brothers, and 2 elder sisters...all 4 in decent health...3 are on hypertensives but sis Ann 81.......we are more in sync and while she is a PIA because she questions everything and won't budge an mm until she has a firm grasp of comprehension....

don't forget to post the foundation within your profile...thanks, Claudio

• Posted

I've attempted to add the foundation but can't seem to do it.  a little guidance.

I think we need some salts, I use sea salts, not white processed table salts....a friend was fanatic about avoiding salts and she was passsing out  a lot and when she got to the ER her salts and potassium were in  the tanks....the BP drugs did a lot of this damge to her.

• Posted

Your correct of course, we need salt.

eo eats fish. and I might be mistaken but assume its ocean vs fresh water?......so he should get adequate supply of both potassium and salt. if salt water fish, ..sea salt dosn't have a heck of a lot of iodine but sea weed does.

When attempting to isolate a hypertensive cause, avoiding salt is a basic along with stress....if after 2 to 4 weeks ...a re entry of some very small amount of salt is OK....oe has a monitor so he ought to be up to speed.

I just dried out about 20 lbs of sea weed gathered from our beach...will be putting it tomorow on our compost bin for garden use early spring.

We rarely add salt to anything...we do have miso and soy...but its not a daily intake. All of our garden vegetables/mostly leaf type have some salt and micro nutrients from the composted sea weed..otherwise we would be eating regularly the "nori" pieces from either japan or korea that's used for sushi rolls..not roasted or seasond...Claudio

Claudio

• Posted

Missy Joy,

on the very top right side above where it states my groups...is your name and a box with your number 6..roll your cursor over it and it will give you a pop up.."edit profile"...click it...at your profile click edit...put in the info..then click save...Claudio

• Posted

got it, went back in and did the update....something was stuck, like me....more info in there now.
    • Posted

sounds good, you must be in Asia now...I avoid soy for the most part....for sure the soy cwap foods introduced to the world about 15 yrs ago ..soy everything.....I eat some meats.....soy can do a bad job on our thyroids, hence more fatigue.   J
    • Posted

have returned from China..now in San Francisco kinda..about 40 miles south along the coast...small Portugese Community...population maybe 2500...at most.

Everything in moderation but some stuff.....a measured risk for a measured gain eh?

I use only Yamasa (Japan) its quite heavy and a tad goes a long way...do not soak, pour or marinate...drops for flavor only.

Went outside for a few hours to mend a fence...deer ...California hasn't any rain for upteen weeks...all is dry...deer are into neighborhoods searching for edibles. Rain is forecast in a couple of days...hope hope...

Claudio

• Posted

Hi ya joy,

I've buzzed thru the price foundation , the basic 20 principles could have been copied from mine.

Was raised on a farm...dad and younger bro did the milking, I tended the chickens had 5 acres of raspberries, mom took care of the vegetable garden. I Fed chickens with grain from the box car leftovers from local brewery. No processed foods in our house. Lived in Chula vista and in Monarch Bay in 73 for a short time before moving to the midwest.and I've always liked Santa Monica and Santa Barbara..maybe two of the best in all So Ca.

Claudio

• Posted

I've had thoughts years ago about retiring in Santa Barbara but it never happened....my daughter and grandkids are here so this is where I stay....SM is over developed, thank you money grabbing developers, and we older longtime folks are tired of it all, but I'm not going anyway, remains will go over the Pacific.....

One great great thing about this area, many alternative/holistic healers....we had a price chapter for years and met once a month at our then local Wild Oats, now Whole Foods.....talk later...

• Posted

pomegranate juice in Isreal study showed a 6 point drop on the systolic side but nothing on the diastolic side.

it has other cardio benefits. was a 6 week trial.

PJ is one major protocol within dialysis patients.

Fish..big players for you are salmon and mackeral..

if you choose to supplement..salmon oil only..

claudio

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.