Is it possible to change from a 'destructive' to a 'social' drinker

Posted , 14 users are following.

I've a long standing issue with my alcohol consumption when I go out drinking and it has been the cause of most of the major problems I've experienced in my adult life (I am 30).

At the moment I am not drinking and I haven't in 30 days. Before that it was 90 days and I also did a 90 day stint earlier in the year. So basically in 2015 I have been officially ‘off the drink’ for 7 months.

The reason for this is that I have promised my wife and mother of my kids that I will not drink again. It's a promise I've made many times. I really struggle to accept I can no longer drink but at the same time my family is the most important thing in my life and are more important than drinking. I am living a constant struggle with this conundrum. Am I right to just give up drink altogether and hope the struggle will get easier? Do I go on as I have the last 5 years in that I try to stop, which I do successfully for a while but slowly but surely I weasel my way back onto it until eventually I have a major blow out on it? Or is there another way and maybe I could actually become a social drinker for the first time in my life?

Without drink I am rather shy in big groups and I go into myself a lot. So at social events when not drinking I become very paronoid and get down on myself that I am not in the clique. So I’d love to be able to social drink but it has never been that simple for me.

I read a post about potential medical support to manage alcohol consumption and I’d love to hear more about that if anyone has details

Here’s my story:

The basic summary is I am not a day to day drinker. I am a busy man with work and family life so I usually just drank beers on weekends and even this is fine when I am drinking at home or at a party. The big issue is if I go out on a night out with my mates or with my wife. If I got out on my own without my wife, it’s possible I won’t come home until really late because I am off drinking somewhere, when I come home it leads to arguments. Or worse I have also often gotten into trouble with people and even with the police for being too drunk and fighting. If I go out with my wife we often come home having massive arguments and I can be mentally abusive. She summarizes that she can count on two hands the amount of good nights we’ve had out together when I am drinking in the last 6 years. She’s probably right too!

Here’s the rest of my story for anyone interested:

As said I am 30.  I’ve been drinking regularly for about 16 years. At no stage was I ever completely dependent on alcohol in the sense that I went to school and then into the workforce where I work Monday – Friday without needing a drink. There was about a 24 month period when a 5 year relationship with my ex-partner came to end and then meeting my wife and the birth of our first child when my drinking was an even bigger problem and it was rolling into the Monday as well and affecting my work. But after my child was born I curbed it back a bit (so that was about 5 years ago now). Cocaine was also part of my weekends at this point which didn’t help with my drinking issues but that was always just an add on and I haven’t taking drugs in years and have no desire to.

Since then I have generally just been a sit at home drinker. This drinking is not really a problem or too excessive. I’d have 5-10 beers at home on a Friday and Saturday night and be fine for doing things the next day and work the following week.

But the issue is really when I go out on the town drinking. If I go to the pub to watch a football match and it’s just ‘a few pints’ then I am usually fine to do this. But when it’s a proper night out on the town, especially when my guard is down and I feel comfortable drinking again because I haven’t gotten into trouble in recent times then that is when there is a massive potential that I go overboard, blackout and cause some level of destruction, for example, the big two this year:

In march I was in the city with friends and I attacked someone which resulted in myself

A) Being arrested and charged with assault (where I had to pay a fine to avoid conviction) and

B) During the struggle with police I fractured my shoulder which is still not fully healed.

In September this year I was out with my wife and we got into a big argument because I was lashing back drink and dancing with a female work colleague and then when we got home I smashed up her smartphone and jumped down the stairs.

The two examples above I don’t remember in any detail as I had blacked out so I am only going on what I have pieced back together.

So as you can see I am a destructive drinker. I don’t really remember me ever being a social drinker. I mentioned above that drinking at home is usually fine but its fine because I am able to control myself a lot better and ‘drink with the brakes on’. I could just as easily say ‘feck it’ and drink myself into oblivion, there is a voice inside me that would love nothing more than to do that every day it seems.

From reading this you might say “just stay off the drink” and this is what I am trying to do but it’s really difficult. I tried AA and went about twice a week after the September incident, but I struggle with the higher power end of things and it didn’t do me much help in the end because I went out at the end of november with work colleagues and had 6 pints the same day I went to a meeting. Nothing bad happened that night and it was a really good night and it would be ideal to be able to drink like this all the time, but I really put the brakes on that night because I had told my wife I wouldn’t drink at all so I was very conscious of my drinking and had the breaks on and did things like skip rounds and alternative with soft drinks. I have never found the discipline to drink with the brakes on all the time, there is always the potential after I get comfortable with my drinking again that I will go overboard eventually and there is no two ways about it will happen again if I start the same cycle again.  

In addition, I think the timeframe between me going back on the drink to having a big blow out is getting shorter. So either the ‘illness is progressing’ or maybe because I have deprived myself for long periods of time that when I am giving the pass to drink again I abuse this pass quicker and quicker each time.

I actually don’t mind that my drinking has been cut way back this year. I’ve lost about 6kg without doing any working out or change in eating habbits so there are health benefits! But I’d love to have the option of being able to have a few drinks from time to time, for example, at social events.

I read a post about potential medical support, would anyone know by the sounds of my story if I would be a candidate for it?

0 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I don't agree with what Michael says, he is totally missing the point. You do have a problem and could lose your lovely family and it's a cry for help. Well done on being honest and sharing your story. You know you have a problem, like myself but sometimes that addictive head wins and you go on a binge, like myself.

i think you should take Paul and Joanne's advice, which I'm going to do, they are professional alcohol advisers with experience. 

Good luck and keep us posted, as I will too. Best wishes, C X 

• Posted

Dear Paper Fairy.

Having read your posts, I would think that you above all the people would recognise what a 'real problem' drink is. I don't demean any cry for help, but I think that coming on here, a last resort for most people, is bit suspect.

• Posted

Its possible that the poster is in desperate need and doesn't know it...it seems what pushed him to come on the site is the potential of losing his family and to find out if he can DRINK and keep them.  To me the Sinclair would be the only "program" I have heard about that people drink on and seem to manage drinking less....
    • Posted

Dear Missy2

Cowandog is a LONG way from needing the Sinclair Method!! All he needs to do is cop on to himself and STOP DRINKING!! if he recognises it as a problem, and by my reckoning, he hasn't gone down the Rocky Road of spirits AND can stay off it at Christmas, especially if he is Irish as he alludes. He is home and dry!!

• Posted

Anyone who choses to can use the Sinclair Method.  We have heard from young people using it to prevent AUD, since they recognise they are at greater risk due to a combination of their early drinking experiences and a history of AUD in their families.

In fact, in the UK it is approved for those with 'mild to moderate' drinking problems.

• Posted

Dear Missy2

With respect, if you haven't used the Sinclair method yourself, you don't know what you are advising 

• Posted

Hi Joanne,

Apologies for not noticing, the thread got confusing!!

You are right of course TSM is the only way to go when all else fails.

• Posted

TSM can, and should, be offered in the first instance because it has the highest rate of success of any AUD treatment.  It shouldn't be for when all else fails.

Why go through however many years of failure trying everything else first?  Why make the most successful method the last to try?  Some people won't survive those years trying everything else.....

It would be like having a safe, non-addictive and successful treatment for cancer that doesn't need chemotherapy etc, but then telling people that they need to spend lot of suffering going through all sorts of pain and anguish by going through chemo.

Doesn't it make more sense to try the most (clinically proven) successful option first??

• Posted

OK, I admire you for recognising that your drinking is affecting your life, if you want to see where you are heading, just read some of the posts on here. Paul and the others have far more experience of the depths that you can sink to with alcohol.
  • Posted

Hi..your young and that is part of the problem too.  When we are younger..drinking is a big part of events that go on around us. It seems to me that you are on the verge of losing your wife.  I DO think that if you are not willing to stop completely yet...than you should absolutely give the Sinclair method a try...as from what I understand that Paul says...people drink less on it.

​I wonder if they drink less because the pill you take either makes the drink not as enjoyable or taste funny? I'm not sure because I have never tried it..but it is an alternative to stopping drinking all together.

​My son is 30...and I tell him...he has many more responsibilties and a job to be a good role model for his children...Which in your case would be to avoid all the pubs and the "drinking buddies"...be home when you can...and be interactive with your wife and your children.  I don't see anything wrong with going out maybe 1x every 2 months or so...but not on a frequent basis at all....wife and kids have to be first.

• Posted

hi misssy. Yes i think you are right and i am fine with that. most of my buddies are too busy with their families anyway so there is only really the option of once every month or two to go out on the town anyway. it's just when i do that night on the town, often it's going wrong for me.

• Posted

@Michael, I wouldn't see this as a cry for help or last resort, it's just i found the forum while searching for 'not dependant on drink but go overboard when i do". i thought if I give my story then I might get some advice, which I have.

I think we have agreed that things are not 'too bad' for me and i know things could be a lot worse. That was the message I received from AA, that I was in the right place and I am making the right decision and it would only get worse if i stayed drinking as it's a progressive illness. It was all sound advise but I couldn't really get with the program because I have an issue handing myself over to a higher power. Maybe that is eventually the solution to my problem but right now it doesn't feel like it. So now I am on here and I found out that actually there might be a way to even be able to drink but medical support to drink less. This is not something I had even considered since i just thought i could only rely on will power which has failed me time and time again.

so to all, again, thanks for the messages. I have plenty of reading material now

• Posted

Your mention of the higher power for AA comes up alot...Here is how I got thru it...My higher power was ANYTHING That I could do that would keep me from drinking.  For example:  My higher power really was Dunkin Donuts COFFEE....Because everyday after work I used to go to the liquor store...but when I stopped drinking I made it a habit...to stop at the coffee shop near my work INSTEAD. 

When people in AA talked about their higher power in the rooms..it was either time for me to have a ciggarette, use the bathroom or zone out.  You don't have to take on a belief that you are not ready for.  And whether you believe in God or not does not mean you will not be sober.  The idea of God helping them along (some people in AA)....comforts them.

​It did used to turn me off for some reason (and I believe in GOD).  I think it was my selfishness...of not wanting people telling me when to talk about it....or when to pray (I would hold hands at the end in meetings...but I wouldn't mouth the words of the prayer).  I had to overlook all that stuff for the time being because I needed that place to go and meet new friends and find health and happiness.  My family was also VERY pleased I was going smile.

​Seriously, if your higher power right now is cookies, candies, your wife, your kids...just let that part of the meeting slide...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.