Is it postnasal drip or something else.? ☹

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hey all.

Im new to this forum and ive been having these symptoms for months and months. ive been to my doctor about it numerous times and anything hes giving has only given me temporary relief ☹ but as soon as i finish what hes given im back to square one.

Basically ive been having this drainage going down the back of my throat its been different colours white, yellow and even green (gross i know) i also have a mild soreness in my throat when its draining down my throat and im clearing my throat more than usual but its not constant, i always feel something in the back of my throat like phelgm or mucus that needs to clear but doesnt , my nose aint runny and no sneezing or stuffiness .

Also i want to see a ENT but my doctor needs to refer me and he doesnt seem to be going to do that anytine soon.

is it postnasal drip do you think? or something else.? ive been driving myself mad googling looking for answers but im just making myself worse cause im so paranoid.

Any help/advice would help.!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

yes its pnd

• Posted

thankyou for your reply. Do you have any tips or advice on something i can do for relief.?

• Posted

steam inhalation salt water gargle .. go to doctor if last longer..

• Edited

Yes, post nasal drip. I have had it for over 3 months!

Had bad cough lasting 2 weeks, stopped for a few days then I got it again exactly the same for another 2 weeks. Been left for further 2 1/2 months with a residual feeling of catarrh/mucus in & dripping down my throat. Relentless coughing from a dry tickle in my throat, 10 times worse at night & driving me nuts. Throat always feel like its narrowed in size, or has a lump stuck in it.

No blocked or runny nose, no sign of a cold. Mine seems to have been kicked off by the cough - do you recall having anything, sinusitis, cough, cold?

If/when yours is green it is infected & your GP should be giving you antibiotics whether he wants to or not! If you feel you need ENT referral then you MUST ask for one, don't be discouraged from it, BUT, coronavirus has put a lot on hold, so you're going to have to wait until doctors are properly back in business.

I tried over-the-counter anti histamines, increased fluid intake (to help thin out mucus), cut down on caffeine & dairy, slept with raised pillows at night, all for 2 months but no help. Finally called doctor (no visits due to coronavirus). But he has prescribed a steroid nasal spray, only had it 2 days so far & it can take up to 2 weeks to be fully effect. I have enough for 4 weeks & must speak or see him then.

Doc would send me for chest Xray, but hospitals on overload & safer not to for now. If he can't help me sort this out after 4 weeks with nasal spray the I'll be asking for ENT referral myself.

PS. Just remembered, I also got something called a neti-pot, a friend who suffers from sinusitis recommended it (on-line), that was no help either. Bit of a knack using it, washes out your sinuses, but not my favourite pastimes & had no effect anyway! Steam inhalation useless as well.

• Edited

@CaptJanew No i never had sinusitus, cough or cold. I just woke up with it one morning back in spetember but id been going through alot of anxiety for months over a family matter, i dont know if that can cause PND but i thought it was just a normal sore throat with infection but no, i took everything under the sun with no results and ive been to my doctor like i said numerous times since but no great relief 🥺

I just want to go to a ENT for peace of mind that its nothing else, i havent had a confirmed diagnosis of PND and yeah i know im gonna have to wait but my doctor is still working so im gonna go into him again and tell him about the green/yellow drainage.

im sorry to hear nothing has helped you ,wish i could offer some advice but cant 😔

• Posted

Yes it's postnasal drip and it is caused by sinusitis and viral infections. Do you have seasonal allergy? Antihistamine and decongestants should help.

• Posted

i dont even know if i have those sinusitus or allergies , i dont think i have seasonal allergy i just woke up with this one day and have had it since. My doctor has given me different things to take but like i said nothing has worked 😔 I feel i need to see a ENT to get a proper diagnosis or see whats going on.

• Posted

You can't live with that muck sliding down your throat indefinitely! It's normal for mucus to go down there but not in a manner that we're aware of it.

I'm on day 10 of the steroid spray, has started to help daytime, but not at night. I've got to give it a month on it though, & it can be used indefinitely. But I'm not planning on settling for that, or coughing at night until I'm exhausted!

Sorry this is a bit gross........if I cough up mucus it is clear, yours should not be coloured, that implies an infection, particularly green!

To be fair, coronavirus has knocked everything of balance, a lot of what would be a normal path to the next step has simply slammed its doors to referrals & tests.

I think you'll have to be firm with GP, this isn't just unpleasant, it's distressing, depressing & very worrying.

• Posted

i know i cant have it doing that indefinitely but like you said coronavirus has knocked stuff off and made things more difficult.

yes ive been told by others that its a sign of infection.

Yes it is very distressing cause im such a anxious patient and having this doesnt help at all.

i am gonna be firm with him cause i definitely want it investigated more and get a confirmed diagnosis of PND.

• Posted

honestly i learned my lesson recently. Go see an ENT. I went through alot before finally being able to see an ENT, terrible experience.

• Posted

im planning to go, just need to see my doctor and ask firmly that i want to go see a ENT . Im sorry you went through a terrible time.

• Posted

Hi Emma , I have this too! since corona all kicked off plus i have anxiety so i thought maybe that was it. For me its a constant drip, sometimes really hard to swallow, a short cough to clear my throat other days. Its so annoying. So ive been taking exputex to thin out mucus ( i think it helps but cant be healthy taking it everyday for 3 months!), an antihistamine (even though i dont have allergies but heard this could dry it up, not sure if doing anything but worth a go), also ive asthma so i take my inhalers. I'm on a daily steroid spray for past sinus issues (frequently inflammed) but not blocked at moment yet brand new PND!? i also do Neil Med sinus rinse twice a day - id recommend giving that a go for a month or so. I have ENT apt on Tuesday so i will let you know if any solution!! if i were you i would deffo ask for a referral to ENT as they are the experts in the field. Hope you get relief soon!

• Posted

Thanks Emma. I got a nasal spray from my doctor but i cant pick it up till tomorrow and my doctor is giving me a referral to a ENT but i could have to wait awhile cause theres a waiting list and coronavirus probs doesnt help but at least i have my name down. Oh ive taken exputex before but its been for coughs id get with colds. I will try get a sinus rinse when i pick up my nasal spray. Thanks for your reply, i appreciate the tips/advice. Best of luck at your ENT appointment.

• Posted

Hi Emma, Did you clear your PND? I have this issue and like you have asthma as well. Tried everything and am also on cortisteriod nasal spray. Any suggestions?

• Posted

hey I’m just wondering if you got any updates I know I’m over a year late but I’ve been struggling with postnasal drip for over three years and it’s really affected my life and I am now completely unemployable because of her bad it’s made my mental health I’m clearing my throat every 5 to 10 minutes not just gently clearing it I have to Hack it out of my throat otherwise I cannot swallow and I have no diagnosis my doctors think it’s a mental health problem and it’s not really there although I can pull the mucus out like string

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.