Is it really gout??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Uric acid level came back as 5.9, I'm a 36 yo female. very high end of normal. Pain and swelling has been persistent for about a year. much worse recently to the point I cannot walk. which resolves itself in about 1/2 day. I'm not convinced all the pain is from gout?

0 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

ChrisW....

Did you really mean ...

"  Gout can be extremely painful but if you are having an attack it is unlikely to just go away without being treated"

Surely the nature of attack is that they WILL go away without being treated .... but will take longer and be more painful without treatment.

• Posted

Gout is not the disease - it is a symptom of hyperuricemia (high blood urate). The gout pain may go, (probably for a limited period), but the underlying hyperuricemia is still there doing its damage. No pain doesn't mean you're in the clear.

• Posted

Indeed rustygecko (or can I call you Rusty!).

The pain does go away ... Sometimes this confuses people and they think they have cured it by taking a specific diet or whatever.

I know waht works for me .... It begins with the letter "A".

• Posted

Do you mind if I call you 21? :-)

There are 4 or 5 good solutions to hyperuricemia, and mine ends in an "L".

• Posted

no, my statement was quite clear, i have never known a gout attack to simply stop without treament

you need to stop the swelling and pain, which would require at the bare minimum pain killers and anti-inflammatory drugs

• Posted

No, Chris this is not true. I'm living proof of it. I was put in a cast for about a month and half when I got my first gout attack. It was on my toes becoming swollen, because I was too young for the medication, they decided to put me in a cast where I had to wait until the inflammation went down on its own. So it does not require pain killers as you say, but keeping off the foot or any other body part without aggravating it more would do just as well for the inflammation to go down.

• Posted

I had undiagnosed gout for years that would resolve itself in a week or so. An unpleasant week, mind.
    • Posted

fair enough

I for one would not wait for the swelling and pain to subside, at one point my attacks were so painful i had to be prescribed Morphine and Tramadol then eventually a steroid injection was the only treatment that worked

• Posted

I put up with it probably because I mainly work from home and therefore can sit shoeless, and also because the bouts were only once every six months and would not associate it with the previous attack.what helped this is that it wasn't always the same big toe implicated.

• Posted

I get the pain in several joints, ankles, 3rd & 4th metatarsal, thumb wrist area, and fingers. Unfortunately, it runs in my family, on both sides btw. But I've bee lucky to steer clear of it, except that lately, I've been feeling a little tinge of it, probably because I've been drinking fruit juices that have too much sugar. Going to need to cut it off.

• Posted

Eventually I too started to get the pain too in my thumbs and all over my hand, as well as tingling as the tophi started to grow.
    • Posted

I had a similar bout once, I couldn't move my foot, I was in so much pain it felt as if someone took a hammer to my toe. I was given indomethacin, that took a few days for the pain to die down. But luckily that's all I needed. My cousin had to have the crystals taken out from his toe because the pain just wouldn't go away even with injections.

• Posted

I've never had tophi, thank goodness, do you get them drained?

• Posted

In the past I had the tophi removed from a few joints under general anaesthetic

At its worst I had attacks in multiple joints, which made me feel about 150

Now that it's under control i've been more or less gout free for over a year, it just took a ridiculous amount of time to find an expert who knew what they were talking about and could treat it correctly

• Posted

Luckily, I've never had tophi. My gout is not so severe. Since I was 14, I've only had severe pain 3 times.  Excercise and eating healthy has helped.

• Posted

Not necessary to get them drained, unless you have had •years• of poor doctors. I had already seen a rhumotilogist abroad so was forewarned about poor GPs. I had to go to 3 before I found one that really understood gout more than "take painkillers and it'll be alright."

If you treat the underlying disease (the high blood urate), the tophi are eventually dissolved, (research shows it takes 3-66 months). All mine (8) have now dissolved except for two which are almost gone.

I use allopurinol and have reduced my urate from between 9 and 12 down to 2.8.

• Posted

Oh thank goodness I never got tophi then. They don't sound good to have.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.