Is it really gout??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Uric acid level came back as 5.9, I'm a 36 yo female. very high end of normal. Pain and swelling has been persistent for about a year. much worse recently to the point I cannot walk. which resolves itself in about 1/2 day. I'm not convinced all the pain is from gout?

0 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had same as you ankle bone not visible as around it was so swollen , then it starts at achilles tendon and you have to keep your feet straight because there is no movement up or down . solupred helped with that and the pain goes after a day taking them but after taking a corse of 5 days i would stay 5 days pain free and then the pain return . Iv been to a pediatrist and she stopped my allopurinol untul the attack subsides (uric level was 10.6 ) and prescribed me colchicine for 3 months . the ankle pain is fine now but i have a top of the tow pain which is still bothering me after 8 days of colchicine , its very mild i would say 2 continuosly and vary slightly sometimes going totally away then coming back but if hit slightly pain level is a sharp 10then goes down back to 2 . so like you i am not sure that all this is about gout .
    • Posted

With your uric acid being extremely high, you can surely bet it's gout. 

• Posted

The first time I got a gout attack was a top of the toe pain. It was swollen and hurt pretty bad. I couldn't walk on it. So, you definitely have gout.

• Posted

Yes i know i have gout i got that at 35 now going to be 43 always had same side of big toe in attacks which pain goes immediately after a day if i take solupred or arcoxia 120 but this time as i got arcoxia 90 (because of stupid chemist ) the pain didnt go with the arcoxia and the doctor prescribed colchicine which i took for 8 days and only reduced the pain to very tollerant level . i drive a pick up towing van and work 12 hours shifts and it is not helping much either
    • Posted

If you're a male then beer is your worst enemy when it comes to gout. Steer clear of beer, and wheat.

• Posted

I dont drink beer or any alcohol , i dont eat much meat and only thing i was thinking is soft drinks . the other thing and i read something on the gout decription is i have tallesemia and have some deformed red cells which the body rejects and maybe un the process of excreting the red cell uric acid is produced but that is not confirmed
    • Posted

Yes, I forgot to add soft drinks like soda or high fructose soft drinks.

Did you mean Thalassemia? That's an inherited blood disorder if it runs in your family then yes you could have it and experience some deformity in the face, but it is not a symptom of gout.

• Posted

Give somebody colchesine for gout is a good start - it will reduce swelling. However, it isn't a long-term solution - you need something like Allupirinol to reduce levels of blood urate. As for taking it for 3 months - I'd be amazed if that were necessary, it should resolve before 3 months.

• Posted

She prescribed for 3 months so in the process i start allopurinol but she only told me to start them after a day that im totally pain free , and i can say that after 8 days im still slightly in pain so didnt start allopurinol yet
    • Posted

Yes thalassemia , and i inherited from my mum . no im not saying that thalassemia is a sign of gout i was thinking that if because of thalassemia the body throws away the deformed red cell i tought it might produce uric acid while doing that
    • Posted

As I'm sure you know Allopurinol will trigger gout, hence you need to have something like colchesine on hand. Make sure you do a couple of weeks on 100 mg to make sure you aren't allergic to it. Then after a blood urate test increase the dose till the urate it low. Once you have had no attacks for at least six months, you tissue are cleansed of urate, and you can then go to a much lower dose.

• Posted

Reading medical articles on this condition shows there is some indicatio,n if you have beta-thalassemia, in developing gout.
    • Posted

rustygecko, why do they prescribe allopurinol if it brings on gout then? or is it that it's benefits our way the negatives?

• Posted

Reading medical articles on this condition shows there is some indication, if you have beta-thalassemia, in developing gout.
    • Posted

Reading medical articles on this condition shows there is some indication, if you have beta-thalassemia, in developing gout.
    • Posted

The reason for using allopurinol is that is converts purines into different chemicals which are easily excreted, instead of them being converted to urate. The result is that you will over a year or so not only reduce your blood urate, but dissolve the stores of urates in your soft tissues and joints. Those stores of toxic urates took years or decades to put in place and won't be removed over night.

While other drugs are available allupirinol is 50 years old, well researched and very cheap.

• Posted

that makes complete sense. I work in healthcare, so this is easily understandable. Also, my husband has it, but he doesn't answer my questions the way I want them answered lol.

but I do have to say, today is a good day, the swelling is down tremendously and the pain is maybe a one and that is if I walk funny. Since its only in my ankle and inside there somewhere, there's no heat or soreness to the skin. I'm just glad I'm not limping along like I was. Also, makes work a lot easier since I am on my feet about 8 hours a day.

• Posted

She prescribed mev300 mg daily of allopurinol ( when the pain is gone ) but till then only colchicine . the only problem is now i can walk normally without pain but if i try to pull my big toe up its as painful as when you have the worse gout attack , but then the pain goes away again . thats why im doubting that its gout . as when i have gout its painfull all the time
    • Posted

It's still gout, I had the same happen to me. I was able to walk but couldn't pull my toe up, it's because you're moving the crystals inside the joint that still haven't cleared. This is what my doctor explained to me.

• Posted

First starting on 300 mg of allopurinol is wrong, and if unlucky, fatal. There is (for Europeans) a rare side effect of allopurinol that is a skin problem - a rash - which leads to all the skin being lost. For that reason they start on 100 mg. After a week on 100 mg you can then increase to 300. The complication is rare, but not unknown; my GP had one case. On the other hand •••if you are of Asian origin do not take allopurinol•••

Now as to why the pain is not the same - my guess it because you are taking the cochrcine, which reduces the white cells inflammatory response, and therefore the pain will be reduced.

What do others think?

• Posted

So should i start allopurinol? Im european and not allergic to allopuriol smile

• Posted

Allopurinol works for me and I do not get gout attacks.

It is VERY important to realise that allopurinol takes up to a year or more to become fully effective.  Don't expect a quick fix but long term can be great.

• Posted

Well, would this be your first time starting Alluprinol? If it is, then cut the pill into quarters, start with 75 mg and increase a quarter per week until you reach 300 mg.
    • Posted

It's your decision and that of your doctor.

I take it. As others have said its a slow process to get rid of all the excess urates. You should have regular blood tests for urate. You need to force the urates down to well below the max

• Posted

I took it before but having to stop it everytime because i was getting an attack every time i started allopurinol . this time im gona start it while taking colchicine with it so accordingvto the doctor that shoild stop any attack hopefully. But as i have pain when i lift my big toe (not when i walk properly ) im still a bit affraid to start them.thank you for you reaponses rustygecko sochima822 and Dewsbury
    • Posted

It will not stop the attack, only colchicine will help stop the attack, the allopurinol is so that it lowers your uric acid but like someone here said, it takes a while for it to start working. Start your allopurinol as indicated by your doctor, and you should be fine.
    • Posted

Yes i have been taking colchicine for 12 days now , so i was thinking of starting allopurinol with them now but im still scared i will get an attack
    • Posted

Well, if you're taking the colchicine it should work to stop any attacks. So start the allopurinol as instructed by your doctor and you should be fine.

• Posted

Allopurinol will trigger an attack. Believe it or not - that is good. The reason is that as a patient suffering from gout, you have had Hyperuricemia (high blood urate) for years, possibly a couple of decades. The reason is either you don't excrete enough (kidney) or you produce too much uric acid (liver) or both. The Hyperuricemia has slowly soaked your body in monosodium urate, and it has been absorbed into all the soft tissues, When you take a drug like allopurinol, it reduces uric acid production (by converting it into a form which is easily removed). It is important that you get a dose of allopurinol which is correct to you - you'll need blood tests - to force down the level of blood urate - not to the maximum normal level (6.8) but to much lower - so that the stuff which is deposited in your tissues will come out and be flushed away - this takes times - at least a few months and possibly a year or so. (The •average• dose needed to flush the tissues is 327mg BUT there is a huge variation around the average from 100 mg up to 800 mg).

When this "stored" material is flushed out, it may (probably will) cause some attacks of gout. Once the allopurinol has flushed you out, and you've had no attack for an extended period, your doctor will reduce your allopurinol to a low maintenance dose.

This means during the "cleaning phase" you will need colchesine or similar to reduce the flair up of gout. You can probably get away with just taking the colchesine when you start to feel an attack coming on. I think it sensible while you are doing this to note in a diary when you start to get get attacks, so you'll know when you need a maintenance dose of allopurinol.

I'm sorry this is a long explanation, but 90% of people do not complete the allopurinol treatment, and I suspect it's because they don't understand it - because GPs either don't understand it, or don't have the time to explain it.

Two last comments - most of the purines (the stuff that is converted into uric acid in the liver) comes from our own body as we recycle old cells - some (30%) comes from our diet. So while we can reduce purines in our diet, we cannot stop the body making the uric acid. Diet may be a contribution to long-term maintenance but it won't solve the problem initially.

And finally the reason that you need to get rid of the monisodium urate is not just to stop the gout - the reason is that it has serious health issues over the long-term.

• Posted

How much colchesine have you been taking? I find that 1-3 tabs per day (of the standard 500mcg) stops attacks. After 12 days your immune systems attack will be calmed down, and if your doctor agrees start the allopurinol, but be aware you may need extra colchesine if the gout kicks off. The dose permitted for most people is 1 to a max of 4 tabs a day, assuming you are in good health and no kidney problems.
    • Posted

Iv been taking 2 tab a day for 10 days and now yesterday started allopurinol . the doctor said if i get an attack i should stop the allopurinol
    • Posted

The problem is that no one seems to know well aboult it and only just know everyone know about it so probably i can get more help on here than from a GP
    • Posted

Could you not say which town you are in and see if somebody here can recommend a doctor your way?
    • Posted

Good heavens! I thought this site was just for our county! If it's any consolation I found this "....Nonetheless in the UK, fewer than half were counseled on the diagnosis or urate-lowering therapy and only 18% received urate-lowering treatment."

It would appear that over here a minority of GPs understand gout.

• Posted

I thought everyone was in Lincolnshire (England - the small island of the coast of Euope - just in case there's anyone from the US).

• Posted

People from all over the world ask questions and look for answers on this website afterall it is the world wide web we tap into.
    • Posted

Apparently not.

But this system is very integrated into our health system here (and maybe other places?).... it gives us all our local health services, it is called "Patient UK" and leaflets from the health service here often have the same logo. Additionally I believe one can order regular medicines through our local doctor on the system. Finally it keeps local pharmacies doctors and hospital informed of local issues (eg if there's a big event in town, or outbreak of say Ebola Fever). But maybe it's doing this elsewhere too?

• Posted

We have something similar except that I prefer to see a private doctor rather than go through the system.
    • Posted

Is there an advantage to a private doctor? Here you are seeing the same people as you see through the state system.
    • Posted

I don't need to make an appointment to see him if I'm suffering from something, unless it's an emergency. I just call him tell him my problem, he calls the pharmacy for a prescription all I have to do is pick it up and I'm done. This is how I got my last gout medicine over the phone medical screening. No need to go into the office.

• Posted

Similar here for the state system - you just call / email / go online and if its regular meds it just happens in 24 hours. You can either go and pick up the prescription or set up with a local pharmacy, and by some form of 21 century magic, it just happens.

If you want medicinal canabis it'll be more

complex :-D.(Still illegal here, but a very active "private sector" I believe).

• Posted

This is not a regular med, it was my first time in 10 years, doc had never seen me for it, I just told him it was gout, asked me what I wanted, I said Indomethacin and he called it in. Same with any other ailments I suffer from, I have yet to go see him, lol. I will one of these days.
    • Posted

I also don't need to wait 24 hours, the doctor calls right after we hang up, and within an hour I have my medicine. Canabis makes me nauseous and by this I mean just the smell of it makes me vomit.

• Posted

Pretty much the same as here. If it's a new doc or a new medicine by law you have to at least say hello. We call to see the doctor and you'll get an appointment on the same day if you want. You can't just roll up though, unless you are really pretty ill.

• Posted

That's interesting about calling. They are just experimenting with that and also video calling to see doc. Seems sensible ... especially if the patient has been exposed to Ebola Fever!

• Posted

That would be almost impossible, unless you really live Liberia.
    • Posted

We had more than one person walking around infected with Ebola! (I'm not suggesting that Ebola is by any means anything but rare).

• Posted

Hardly walking you mean. Only one nurse in 2015 contracted it in Sierra Leone was flown to the UK, treated for it and survived. A few Britons have died after visiting West Africa but none in England.
    • Posted

That was indeed a strange case - she ended up getting the disease 2 or 3 times after being "cured", as apparently Ebola can return. Interestingly she was struck off as a nurse, for professional malfeasance - for hiding from medical staff that she was ill when she was checked out in Heathrow on her first return. A very lucky lady.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.