Is it safe to take Pantothenic Acid (vit B5) with PMR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Does anyone take Pantothenic Acid to help get their Adrenals going?  And if so, how much is a safe dose ?

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

A lot of the foods with vit B5 are supposed to give a good diet in general. In fact 30g of chicken livers give you 83% of your daily needs. Avocados and salmon give 20%. Better for you than supplements too. There are quite a few other foods such as mushrooms and yogurt.
  • Posted

Why are you considering this?  Are you still on pred?
    • Posted

Yes, I am on 6.5 / 7 mg.   i just read that it can be a good support for the Adrenals and mine are taking a long time to kick in.  I cannot seem to get lower than 6.5 mg
    • Posted

What happens when you go lower than 6.5?  Fatigue or return of pmr pain?  Thanks!
    • Posted

Why do you think your adrenals are not kicking in? Is that really the reason you cannot get lower than 6.5mg or is it the trouble most of us go through anyway in reducing pred irrespective of the dose?
    • Posted

My pain level is ok, it is the fatigue, shaking and dizziness which are impossible to cope with.
    • Posted

You may find that the symptoms you have are nothing to do with the adrenals but to do with the PMR and pred reduction. I get extreme fatigue and also dizziness, particularly when I am shopping. 
    • Posted

What level of pred did it start? How long has it persisted? I had it at 4, 4 1/2, had to go back up. If it happens again, not sure what I will do...probably a new post looking for consolation and advice...
    • Posted

What level have you managed to get to and how long at each level.   I have been trying to go lower than 6.5 several times since February.  My doc finally said stay there for 6 months, but then the shaking, dizziness and fatigue got worse, so I tried 7 again, which has helped.   Dizziness and shaking have stopped for the moment and the fatigue is a little better.   I now have another problem of possible Pancreatitis and will be having tests for it.   Not a good time of year for this to happen.
    • Posted

How long did you stay at any dose before trying again and then developing this shaking etc? 
    • Posted

I cant remember exactly, I tried going from 6.5 to 6.25 and thats when the shaking and dizziness got really bad.   I had had it before on reducing, but this time it persisted and thats when the doc said stay on 6.5 for 6 months.  Then the shaking etc started on 6.5 again so I went up to 7mg.  It has now eased off.   So I shall stay at 7 till after Christmas.

i now have to wait to see why I have Pancreatic insufficiency.  I am told there is an Autoimmune Pancreatitis.  Do you know anything about it

Eileen?

• Posted

Not really, sorry  - there are so many a/i effects and once you have one version it is all too common to get the signs of another. 

Wishing you all the best - what investigations are they doing?

• Posted

They are repeating a stool test to see if the first one was a mistake.  I get the results of that early next week and doing a SIBO breath test.  Apparently I can't do that till after Christmas.  My ultrasound looked normal, but that is not unusual.  Then other tests follow.  Dont know which ones yet.

i also have to have a tooth out because of a root filling fracture, so I am not a happy bunny !   My dentist is reluctant to take the tooth out so near Christmas (in case of infection) because of the steroids and I had rheumatic fever as a child.  So wants to do it after NewYear.  I am finding it difficult to get my head round everything.  

• Posted

And my Gastroenterologist is being so unhelpful and negative about everything that I am feeling very depressed.  
    • Posted

Miserable sod - no chance of another model? 
    • Posted

I have been thinking of finding another Gastro.   Am going to speak to my doc about it when I have another possible one.   Thanks Eileen !
    • Posted

So sorry that you’re having such a horrible time Jan. My very best wishes too you.
    • Posted

Thanks Elizamc.  That is really kind of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.