Is it worth it?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Only my 3rd day of taking sertraline. Feel very anxious and fidgety today. Can’t shake these horrible thoughts. Keep reading posts of people saying they got worse first. I’ve just stayed in today. Really struggling... Does it get better?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi im nearly on 7 weeks of Sertraline and yes unfortunately it can get worse before it gets better sooo many times i nearly gave up cos i felt dreadful but i kept on going and i have seen an improvement definitely ☺ this forum has been an absolute god send,if you stayed in today thats fine be kind to yourself there is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Posted

Hi I'm on 75mg sertraline the 1st 6 weeks was hard increased anxiety couldn't sleep..I now love it hang in there

• Posted

It sure does but it's a slow process and it gets worse before you start to feel better so hang in there and keep telling yourself it's the meds that are making you have these symptoms and nothing more . Good luck

• Posted

It's true what John says, if the side effect was, say, a pain in your arm, then it would be obvious it's the meds. You just have to keep telling yourself it's the meds making you feel poorly, you're not doing anything to make yourself feel worse. And, it does get better as the others have said. Hang in there.

• Posted

Keep reading these post and remember for us all it's yuk at the start but worth it.

I've been on them for 10 weeks and it took a good 5 weeks to start feeling the benifts

Stay positive and strong you will get there

• Posted

Hi all! I am on my 7th week, it has been hard. Side effects are terrible. I have just gone up to 75mg the last 4 days. I am pretty good in the day but not so good at bed time. Can’t sleep at all without sleeping tablet. Any advice please? Thanks
  • Posted

YES...! it's bloody hard but keep with it x

• Posted

Yeah, give it a couple of weeks for the side effects to go, I know right now that this seems ages away, but think long term and the 2 weeks would be over before you know it, in the mean time be kind to yourself, you are ill. Are you on 50mg?
    • Posted

Thanks Kerry, this is really helpful. Just gone up to 75mg 5 days ago. Was in 50 for 6 weeks before that. Such a strange thing anxiety, it has hit me for six. X x x
    • Posted

Something that has really helped me is the headspace app, I'm working through the anxiety programme and it's really good to help us understand the relationship between body and mind, it might sound hippy but it is really helping me x

• Posted

Also have you tried sleep meditation from you tube, that helped me when I couldn't sleep xx

• Posted

I have tried the sleep meditation but not the app will give it a try. Anything that helps. Somebody said CBT is good but hoping to get to that. Thanks hun. How are you doing? X x x
    • Posted

I've done CBT before, it's good if ryiu remember to do it. I'm having talking therapy at the moment which is good but I need to pay private for that. I'm not too bad, I think I'm getting there slowly. What about You? X

• Posted

I am on my last session of talking therapy. How do you go about getting CBT. Glad your feeling better. I will be glad to get back to myself, I have been off work first time in 12 years and I don’t know what to do with myself. I have 2 children and don’t like being like this around them.  Who ever thought it could effect you in this way. X x x
    • Posted

I'm very similar to you Rachael, in my 7th week & went up to 75mg a few days ago. I seem to be in a phase of having a reasonably good day followed by a poor one. I wouldn't say it's worse on 75 than 50. I want to do CBT, exercise, etc that would help, but feel too poorly at the moment. One of the many vicious circles this creates! Hopefully the good days will increase soon.

• Posted

Hi Lawrence! It’s hard going, don’t really understand it. We will get there. Side effects are bad. Everyone keeps saying it takes time. So let’s hope so. Be nice to get bacj to normal and sleep again without a sleeping  tablet. Take care and keep in touch. X x x
    • Posted

They do keep you going, was struggling at first because of the side effects. Since the Sickness and headaches has settled I have been better. Lucky to have them, my partner struggles he don’t know what the hell is going on. Hard to explain isn’t it. X x x
    • Posted

I Think it's hard when you have never felt this way. Pm me if you want x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.