Is my B12 levels low?

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have been feeling awful for the last 4 months, got my results from B12 test today, 296. No action required. I have made an appointment to see doctor next monday as i feel so low. Do you think i am wasting my time seeing doctor about the levels?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm still a complete novice at this so shant try to advise.  I haven't started treatment yet but there is a very active, knowledgeable closed group on FB. Would recommend you join it x
  • Posted

hi sue did they check your folate too rule out PA ,plus see if you can get your vit D checked, 
    • Posted

My vit d is 61, currently waiting results of celiac test, i dont think i have that tbh. Not sure about folate. When i read about b12 the levels vary so not sure if my number is classed as low or not, thanks for the reply
    • Posted

I got a private b12 test and they say the expects look for a level

of 500 - 700 , but most gps go by ranges when they should be going by

symptoms , what are your symptoms , your vit d seems ok mine was 26

• Posted

I feel completely exhausted all the time, dizzy and ringing in my ears along with ear pain, its the tiredness thats getting me down, i cant concentrate at work anymore
    • Posted

Did they check your cortisol level this can cause extreme triedness 
  • Posted

Your level probably isn't considered low enough for treatment, but, if you have symptoms of B12 deficiency you should see your doctor for more advice. Have a look at the Pernicious Anaemia society website for a full symptom list. Best wishes Marion 
    • Posted

Thankyou, i have been so tired, dizzy, ringing in my ears and ear pain
    • Posted

Those can be symptoms of low B12. I felt exhausted and had ringing in my ears before I was diagnosed, plus pins and needles and numbness. Your doctor may be prepared to give you a trial of B12 injections, to see if it helps you. They start with loading injections, six given over two weeks, and then go to three monthly top up ones.  Good luck with feeling better soon Marion 
    • Posted

Thanks marion. Will see what the dr says on monday. What were your levels if tou dont mind me asking?
    • Posted

My level was 176 when I was diagnosed, my GP believed anything under 200 should be treated. In some countries anything under 500 is treated.

i hope you find your doctor will be helpful. 

• Posted

How did you get on with your dr, did you get any help, my level is 280 and having symptoms too x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.